[KERNEL] S series kernel for "all" custom ROMs

Guest C3C0

This is my S series kernel for ZTE Skate custom ROMs

It should work on all known Skate models having Synaptics or Focaltech touchscreens.

If your device is a SFR Staraddict (or other model) having ATMEL MXT224_P743F touchscreen then jump to this dedicated thread instead:

http://www.modaco.co...ll-custom-roms/

Use at your own risk. It is not guaranteed that it will actually work on any ROM - it's impossible

for me to test it on every custom ROM we have.

Backup your ROM before flashing so you can easily restore your system in case of problems.

Basic features

- good performance

- large number of governors

- AXI and AHB bus overclock

- decent battery life

- support for newer touchscreens (Focaltech)

- support for additional light/prox sensors (ONA3301, ISL29026)

- two versions available for CM roms - normal and volume boosted that

can be used if you find volume levels too low (be aware of distortion @ high volume levels).

Changelog 10/01/2013

- S4 removed - the latest CM10/10.1 ROMs already include this kernel

Changelog 15/12/2012

- CM9 S3 kernels updated for compatibility with the current PA ROM release

Changelog 16/11/2012

- ICS S3 kernels updated for compatibility with native wifi tethering that has been recently fixed in my ParanoidAndroid ICS ROM

Changelog 21/10/2012

- CPU Governors revised

--- fixed Lagfree not scaling below 480MHz

--- fixed conservative stuck at max. frequency

--- fixed SavagedZen not ramping higher than 480MHz

--- ondemand parameters changed to match those ZTE is using in stock ROMs

--- new governor: SmartassH3 - based on SmartassV2 with parameters tuned by H3ROS (thanks) -

more efficient frequency scaling - not ramping too high when not needed this could potentially

result in better battery life

- added compatibility hack for some newer TRULY replacement LCDs

- default governor set to SmartassH3 with default min. frequency 122MHz

Known issues

On some Skate models you can experience strange blinking during charging animation while device is off.

There's no solution for it at this moment. It's harmless, though.

It is now confirmed that this is not a kernel issue but TPT repartitioning images issue.

TPTs we have available (e.g., via TPT Helper) contain appsboot.mbn that is not compatible

with some newer Skate models (different bootloader) causing charging animation issues or even

device not being able to boot at all after applying TPT.

Downloads

S2 - Stock based custom ROMs (Atomic, H3 Blues, SKatie, ...)

http://tinyw.in/j4Bn

S3 - CM7 Based ROMs (CM7.2, MokeeOS, IceArmor, ...)

Normal version: http://tinyw.in/xot2

Volume boosted version: http://tinyw.in/65k5

S3 - CM9 Based ROMs (ColdfusionX, ICS ParanoidAndroid 1.6, ...)

Normal version: http://tinyw.in/rIqw

Volume boosted version: http://tinyw.in/34pP

Installation instructions

1) Download zip to your SD card (it is recommended to check if MD5 sums match after download)

2) Reboot to ClockworkMod recovery

3) Make a backup of your current system using Backup&Restore menu so you can easily revert back in case of any problems

4) Use menu: install zip from sd card / choose zip from sd card, browse for ZIP file and confirm to flash (no wipes needed)

5) Reboot

Credits go to KonstaT, burstlam, tilal6991, TomG

Edited by C3C0

Mainly battery life. Other issues like compass and GPS are not known to me. It's more probably library related than kernel related.

But people can try themselves to see as I am not on CM ROM. Maybe jikobutsu already has some more experience to share.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Thanks C3C0. Had a try on MIUI Mix&Match. Cannot comment on the battery life so far, as I've only installed this kernel for a short while.

The WiFi was not working -I have to move dhd.ko from /system/lib to /system/lib/modules to make it working.

Also can you please give some explanation why the files originally in /system/lib/modules/2.6.35.7-perf+ are no longer needed with your new kernel?

Hmm. Nice to know. Normally kernel modules should be placed under 2.6.35.7-perf+ dir but on 2.3.5 and CM7 it was not problem not to have this subdir under system/lib/modules and also dhd.ko could be up one level. But this seems to be not true for CM9. I can make a modified zip to correct this.

Regarding other kernel modules you can normally see e.g. with Ice Armor kernel and that are missing in mine. Well, I was trying to eliminate the number of kernel modules. So some that are not needed are disabled completely and some are compiled directly into kernel. Don't ask me which ones I cannot remember :) too long time passed since I was working on S2 :)

There are only 2 kernel modules I was not able to compile directly into kernel: dhd.ko and scsi_wait_scan.ko

That's why these two are there.

Guest utternoob

Tried on CM9, but got stuck on Android boot logo. Pulled battery and then reinstalled backup. If any changes are made, I will be happy to test them.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Hmm. Nice to know. Normally kernel modules should be placed under 2.6.35.7-perf+ dir but on 2.3.5 and CM7 it was not problem not to have this subdir under system/lib/modules and also dhd.ko could be up one level. But this seems to be not true for CM9. I can make a modified zip to correct this.

Regarding other kernel modules you can normally see e.g. with Ice Armor kernel and that are missing in mine. Well, I was trying to eliminate the number of kernel modules. So some that are not needed are disabled completely and some are compiled directly into kernel. Don't ask me which ones I cannot remember :) too long time passed since I was working on S2 :)

There are only 2 kernel modules I was not able to compile directly into kernel: dhd.ko and scsi_wait_scan.ko

That's why these two are there.

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Actually MIUI mix&match is based on IA III not cm9.

Tried CM9 - release from end of March. Booted fine. Camera preview working a treat :) But this has already been solved, hasn't it?

Wifi doesn't work. Logcat shows error about wpa_supplicant. I'll try wiping data.

CM9 Info. WiFi still doesn't work but... Bluetooth works :)

I just tested file transfer and it worked.

cm9bt.png

Edited by C3C0

Will upload modified update soon... It will have dhd.ko location corrected

EDIT: Uploaded. Should be OK now.

Edited by C3C0

Guest razzmataz1478

If you get wifi working and Bluetooth works in CM9...you should compile with your kernel because Bluetooth isn't currently working with the blade kernel. :)

Edited by razzmataz1478