Kernel Experiment - 4.0 updated 2012.05.28

Guest ipaq3870

Guest louis xv

/666-166/ 144 RAM/24 bpp/ review:

- colors are brilliant

- screen flickering has gone by setting min freq to 166 MHz usin setcpu (init.rc line with 266000 value didn.t work for me)

- usb driver (mass storage) is good (the original kernel wasn't working for me usually)

- UI generally is well responsive.

- games: (drag racing) is horribly slow (although it went fast for only one race)

(defender) is still playable but with white background some times)

thats for now. and thanks to ipaq and all devs.

BTW how could i try the (kexec) binary?

Guest ipaq3870

i found the phone getting some strips on the screen

is it normal ? i tried the 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit

My problem is with "24bpp screen", it also happend when i tried to implement it in devs kernel. It's hard to explain, screen gets weird, like a television with interference.

This has been detailed in the caveat section of the first page. In short, what you are seeing is the CPU won't have enough cycle to process screen refresh, and hence you are seeing frames skipping. Specifically 24bpp requires slightly highly processing requirements, so if your CPU keeps running at its lowest freq, i.e. 83.25Mhz, you'll experience what you've described. For details, read the linked post in the caveat section.

Guest ipaq3870

is this 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit ?

with the dirty one

my wifi is still not working =[

The dirty one is of vanilla flavor, that is 800MHz/133Mhz/16bpp. It's strange that your wifi's still not work while others reporting good. Can you post a dmesg and last segment of logcat -v time starting from the time just before your press the wifi button?

Guest ipaq3870

cant create /sys/block/zram0/compressor: nonexistent directory
cant create /sys/block/zram0/reset: nonexistent directory[/code]

These 2 lines have no harm. I was just doing tests to plug different compressors to zram, and to test different size. You can safely remove those lines if you feel so urged to.

Also, if the system is running with only 667mhz, what do you think is making it faster? The Zram?
Nope, although they are somehow made for each other (unintentionally). See my benchmarks in the first post. I don't normally rely too much on benchmarks, but it does give some indications. You can do your own quick tests using Linpack or Quadrant to see the difference. But yes, running with 667Mhz won't have big noticeable speed improvements - but I am sure it saves some battery juice.
Also, have someone noticied the "24bpp framebuffer (truecolor display) driver"? I can't see the difference, maybe isn't working here, as i said above i've that interference problem.
Hmmm... I get you some apps to try. Just a moment. [i][b]EDIT:[/b] See this most excellent page for illustration, and get the test app there: [/i]http://www.curious-c...-and-dithering/ I may do some screen shots later if I have time. [i][b]EDIT2:[/b] Color is a very subjective matter. One might be more sensitive to it but the others not. I can even tell the difference with the default wallpaper in the 2 different bpp settings. You'll find below 2 screenshots attached that can demonstrate the severity of the banding problem of 16bpp framebuffer - click to see them in full size. Try use a 24bpp kernel and see the difference yourself.[/i] [i][b]EDIT3:[/b] BTW, you can use the following command in a terminal the check the bpp of the current running framebuffer:[/i]
[code] cat /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb0/bits_per_pixel [/code]

[i][b]EDIT4:[/b] The background should look like the last 2 images in a 24bpp screen.[/i]

post-640869-0-99299800-1337186708_thumb.

post-640869-0-03910500-1337186721_thumb.

post-640869-0-62804600-1338360784_thumb.

post-640869-0-14424200-1338360801_thumb.

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest nikkotsoi

The dirty one is of vanilla flavor, that is 800MHz/133Mhz/16bpp. It's strange that your wifi's still not work while others reporting good. Can you post a dmesg and last segment of logcat -v time starting from the time just before your press the wifi button?

i replaced the kernel in the "my storage"

and delete the modules folder in the system

then i copy the new modules folder with all the things except the zimage in the dirty one .zip

then reboot .. not working

how do i log it ? thanks

Guest nikkotsoi

E/WifiService( 2040): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

D/ConnectivityService( 2040): getMobileDataEnabled returning false

D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): Widget is from a previous version... Let's u

pdate

D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): No instances yet... Wait for at least one in

stance to exist before adding global settings

D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): Widget is from a previous version... Let's u

pdate

D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): No instances yet... Wait for at least one in

stance to exist before adding global settings

D/dalvikvm( 3251): GC_EXPLICIT freed 1095 objects / 72696 bytes in 233ms

W/3gw.Service( 2370): onLowMemory called: available memory=25047040

D/dalvikvm( 2370): GC_EXPLICIT freed 4223 objects / 764256 bytes in 191ms

D/dalvikvm( 2975): GC_EXPLICIT freed 1360 objects / 128808 bytes in 245ms

D/NativeCrypto( 2975): Freeing OpenSSL session

D/skia    ( 2445): purging 124K from font cache [12 entries]

D/dalvikvm( 2445): GC_EXPLICIT freed 6261 objects / 366240 bytes in 188ms

i think this is it

Guest ipaq3870

then i copy the new modules folder with all the things except the zimage in the dirty one .zip

then reboot .. not working

how do i log it ? thanks

To confirm you are really using the right build, try do the following in a terminal:

uname -a

It will show you the revision number starting with the alphabet "g", and the build number #. Match it with the downloaded files. Your logcat confirms your wifi didn't start. Can you do a dmesg as well 2 minutes after you started wifi with the following command in terminal? It will give you more leads to follow.

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Post the resulting file /sdcard/dmesg.txt - you may snip the early lines before you start wifi.

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest ipaq3870

ipaq ,could you tell me how to test the (kexec) binary?

Gotta go now. Will post it later and update this post later.

EDIT: Now I am back.

As I mentioned in first page, kexec is not quite working properly. But if you insist to test it, use the following command:

/path/to/your/kexec --command-line="your startup.txt CMDLINE" -l /your/zImage

/path/to/your/kexec -e

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest Pathwalker

ipaq??!

dude is it possible that you'll be the hero who'll save our phone from dying??! :P

hope you make a new update for cm! cheers

Guest louis xv

ipaq, could you provide just one more falvour (666 CPU /166 AHB /24bpp /128 RAM)

to avoid white squares and still have zram benefits ???

Guest rom_omnia2

ipaq, could you provide just one more falvour (666 CPU /166 AHB /24bpp /128 RAM)

I'm just curious, which applications have white squares? If is Galery app, then i would suggest QuickPic from Market, is better than default Galery and don't use 3D, so there's no white squares problem.

About games, well... we have to choose between more available memory (which means more responsive system) or 3D performance. Even that way i can still play some nice 2D games like Robo Defense, Dragon Fly, etc.

Guest nikkotsoi

To confirm you are really using the right build, try do the following in a terminal:

uname -a

It will show you the revision number starting with the alphabet "g", and the build number #. Match it with the downloaded files. Your logcat confirms your wifi didn't start. Can you do a dmesg as well 2 minutes after you started wifi with the following command in terminal? It will give you more leads to follow.

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Post the resulting file /sdcard/dmesg.txt - you may snip the early lines before you start wifi.

hello,, i don't know if i did it wrong

can't see anything about "wifi"?

dmesg.txt

Edited by nikkotsoi

Guest ipaq3870

okay, i'm waiting

See post above.

I do have a +13MB version that has the same amount of video memory as the original kernel that I guess would eliminate white squares - at least to the same level as the original kernel did. Do you want to try that first?

hello,, i don't know if i did it wrong

can't see anything about "wifi"?

dmesg.txt

I can't see any libertas (the wifi driver name) your log. Instead I see something more alarming here:

[28390.703787](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_get_branch: invalid block reference 3795845132 in inode #415661

[28390.878472](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): file system corruption: inode #415661 logical block 524 mapped to 3795845132 (size 1)

[28390.910728](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): file system corruption: inode #415661 logical block 524 mapped to 3795845132 (size 1)

[28390.922473](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): file system corruption: inode #415661 logical block 525 mapped to 3851423744 (size 1)

[28390.935441](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): file system corruption: inode #415661 logical block 526 mapped to 3785420801 (size 1)

[28390.981375](   com.whatsapp) EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): file system corruption: inode #415661 logical block 527 mapped to 3810586624 (size 1)

[28391.000854](   com.whatsapp) attempt to access beyond end of device

[28391.001696](   com.whatsapp) mmcblk0p2: rw=0, want=7591690266, limit=2000351

[28391.009411](   com.whatsapp) Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p2, logical block 3795845132

--- rest snipped ---

Is mmcblk0p2 your root partition? If so, it may have corrupted the module file itself, in this case, libertasspi.ko. Filesystem corruption can't be anything good in any case. I'd suggest you evacuating your data immediately, and re-format the partition. If you don't care about the data, you can verify driver loading by manually running:

insmod /modules/libertasspi.ko

lsmod

You can see a list of modules loaded, and you can do a dmesg again, and it will show up some messages regardless of whether it's successful or not.

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest ErcanPolat

Hello ipaq.

After boot i write lsmod in terminal. It lists si4709_driver, s3c_camera, multipdp, dpram, vibrator. After insmod /modules/libertasspi.ko, I could see libertas. But wifi has still error. here is dmesg messages about libertas

[ 290.178729]( insmod) libertas_spi: Libertas SPI driver

[ 290.953246]( insmod) Sanya: Power On wlan

[ 290.954072]( insmod) libertas_spi spi1.0: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686_hlp.bin

[ 290.973311]( init) init: waitpid returned pid 2516, status = 00000000

[ 290.975312]( init) init: untracked pid 2516 exited

[ 291.369672]( insmod) libertas_spi spi1.0: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686.bin

[ 291.379245]( init) init: waitpid returned pid 2520, status = 00000000

[ 291.381199]( init) init: untracked pid 2520 exited

[ 291.885627]( insmod) libertas: 00:21:19:b2:38:b6, fw 9.70.10p0, cap 0x00000303

[ 291.893734]( insmod) txpower:18 min:4 max:20

[ 291.902770]( insmod) libertas: wlan0: Marvell WLAN 802.11 adapter

Edited by ErcanPolat

Guest ipaq3870

After boot i write lsmod in terminal. It lists si4709_driver, s3c_camera, multipdp, dpram, vibrator. After insmod /modules/libertasspi.ko, I could see libertas. But wifi has still error. here is dmesg messages about libertas

I suspect you are facing a different problem. The above manual procedure is used to verify if the kernel module is loaded properly after seeing the "Failed to load Wi-Fi driver" message in logcat, and no libertas message in dmesg.

Anyway, your dmesg looks reasonable, and you should do a logcat to see what exactly went wrong. You can also try if the following quick fix works:

Do a rmmod libertasspi in terminal (or simply reboot), and issue the following commands in terminal.

mv /data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf /data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf.bak

chmod g+w /data/misc/wifi/

Activate wifi again. If still error, you'll really have to dig up some logcat.

Guest rom_omnia2

could you explain zram?do it with terminal?? :)

I've copied the script on the first page and named it zr.sh, then put it where SDcard is mounted. So, with terminal:

su (log in as root)

chmod 777 /sdcard/zr.sh (make it executable)

sh /sdcard/zr.sh (run the script)

Then terminal will show some errors but just type free on terminal and see if swap line isn't showing just zeros, if don't, then is working.

Guest jingang

I've copied the script on the first page and named it zr.sh, then put it where SDcard is mounted. So, with terminal:

su (log in as root)

chmod 777 /sdcard/zr.sh (make it executable)

sh /sdcard/zr.sh (run the script)

Then terminal will show some errors but just type free on terminal and see if swap line isn't showing just zeros, if don't, then is working.

thanks it seems good

Guest jingang

with 160m zimage,when opening pictures there are white and black lines all the time,it also happens with other apps?why?any solutions?

Guest louis xv

with 160m zimage,when opening pictures there are white and black lines all the time,it also happens with other apps?why?any solutions?

you need to raise the minimum cpu freq to 166 MHz , use "setcpu" it worked for me

Guest ipaq3870

you mean the problem is caused by low cpu?i will try,thanks

It's kinda a combination of low cpu freq, low AHB bus freq, and choice of bpp. You see, our screens have a resolution of 800x480, a refresh rate of 60Hz, and with 24bpp+8bit alpha channel, you'll need at least 23+MHz of cpu/bus cycle to move the video data around. Normally the AHB bus runs @133MHz, but when the cpu is driven down to only 66MHz, the bus can only run @66Hz and such limited bandwidth is further shared among other sub-systems such as memory controller, etc. That's why when the cpu runs low in freq, you'll see screen flickering.

I actually have a fix in my local repo that alleviate this problem by tweaking the QoS register of the bus. It should eliminate the flickering for an overclock AHB @166MHz even when the cpu is running @83.25Mhz. Still it wouldn't solve the problem on a non-OC version (I didn't produce that build anyway.) Will release it together with more goodies after some testing.