Kernel Experiment - 4.0 updated 2012.05.28

Guest ipaq3870

Guest synescu

What do you replaced? I installed 800-133-141-16bpp 4.0 and replaced framework, and put libc.so in modules. I got no network now, and the debug mode from pc (adb shell or logcat) still not working, and my phone don't show the debug sign if i plug-in usb cable. (yes, debug is enabled! checked twice) What about white squares in 3d? If i understand good, i must choose smaller memory version of kernel? So if i don't want white squares i must use overclocked kernels?(because these seems have smaller memory?!) Now, if i open advanced task killer (not using it, just installed 2months ago) it tells me i have 46mb free memory. In terminal free command i see swap is working, but i can't check it's a zram swap or old type swap. How can i check this?

libc.so goes in /lib. I` get worching wifi and network .angri birds is runing fine with no withe scquare Edited by synescu

Guest musicman1982

libc.so goes in /lib. i` get worching wifi and network .angri birds is runing fine with no withe scquare

BIG Thanks! I will now correcting. I trying angry birds space.

Edited by musicman1982

Guest con73

What do you replaced?

I'm doing all of the changes by mapping the sdcard in ubuntu. libc.so to the / system / lib, framework.jar to / system / framework, the modules to / modules. The root ofthe file created and added zr service in init.rc. I did a package update with all the changes. Link a few posts above.

Sorry for my english

Guest nikkotsoi

network working!

but the stupid wifi still not work

i will try a clean install after my exam

the 24bit version got nearly no flickering!very nice!

by the way.. angry bird no white box?

i got some words become white

Guest ipaq3870

Arghhh! Finally finished writing the documentation of 4.0 sans the development bits... wasted so much time wrangling with modaco's Wysiwyg editor :angry:

Will take a much needed rest....

Guest ipaq3870

The kernel appears to wave phenomena, what is the problem?

It's a known hardware limitation. See the Caveat section. But it's been worked around perfectly in the latest 4.0 builds.

for the log 2 i just directly follow what yhou type in #67

Ok, what about the command "insmod /modules/libertasspi.ko" (without -f)? Is there any error? What the log shows? Just another thing you can try: switch back to the original cm beta 2 kernels and modules, and see if it works. If not, then you'll know it's not kernel related but rather problems with the android, filesystem, configuration, or even your wifi infrastructure.

it it possible to have an unlocked version of kernel to try overclock?

What do you mean by "unlocked"? There's nothing being locked - you can just modify various PLL settings and clock dividers to get different freq. Mind you though the if you are talking about overclocking the CPU, ours S3C6410 was originally designed to only at max 667MHz - and they were already pushing it to the 800MHz that you are using today. Quite a stretch already. The knowledgeable spica guys over the samdroid forum has found its max stable freq is ~890MHz but benchmark don't show much difference.

then i try to run ZR script from terminal. (after su command) This says me "cannot create /sys/block/zram0/compressor: directory nonexistent."

I have already edited the script few days ago to silence the error. Go get the latest one.

Guest ipaq3870

put libc.so in modules.

You guys don't even wait for the docs are posted before trying out. :P libc.so should go to /system/lib/.

debug mode from pc (adb shell or logcat) still not working

Try doing nothing with your phone for few minutes to let it run into sleep mode itself, wait for another minute after the screen blanks. Wake it up and connect the USB again, and if necessary a couple of times if the first time won't work.

So if i don't want white squares i must use overclocked kernels?

On the contrary, one AHB overclocked (166MHz) build actually do have more free memory. You need the vanilla build or the one with 141MB free.

it tells me i have 46mb free memory.

The "free" memory may not be what's actually free. Depending on how it's reported, it may or may not include buffer memory or page cache. So it varies very much. What you should concern most if the total amount of available memory, should be more authoritative.

In terminal free command i see swap is working, but i can't check it's a zram swap or old type swap. How can i check this?

Depending on how you executed the zr script, it may or may not have successfully unmounted your old swap partition on the SD card. But it really doesn't matter - as Z-Ram has priority over it and it's almost never used even when you have 2 swap spaces active. If you want to make sure you are not using the old swap, do a "swapoff -a" in terminal manually, and check with the free command again.

Guest ipaq3870

anyway,, is it normal to get vibration in 667 166 version not as strong as the 800mhz one ?

It's a known issue already stated in the Caveat section. Seems the vibrator somehow depends on the max speed of your CPU.

EDIT: Okay, it's not difficult to fix - just borrowed some code from the spica forum. :D Download and replaced the original vibrator.ko in /modules/ and you are set. Also a bonus feature: vibration strength can be user tuned via this sysfs parameter /sys/devices/virtual/timed_output/vibrator/freq. This hotfix is from commit 5e743b13 hacked to be used in official 4.0 builds, and will be integrated when a new major release is out.

vibrator-5e743b13.zip

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest ipaq3870

Did you setprop haret.kernel properly, and chown/chmod properly?

You can verify it by running the manual script. If it does not work and just spits out error messages, then recheck steps 1 - 6.

If it does work via manual script but not in Android UI, check steps 9 - 11.

If the Android UI hangs at rebooting phone, check steps 7 - 8.

Guest zappazz

Did you setprop haret.kernel properly, and chown/chmod properly?

You can verify it by running the manual script. If it does not work and just spits out error messages, then recheck steps 1 - 6.

If it does work via manual script but not in Android UI, check steps 9 - 11.

If the Android UI hangs at rebooting phone, check steps 7 - 8.

Kexec reboot is not working for me, too.

I executed "chown" and "chmod" using ubuntu.

Now, from terminal (with "su"), typing kexec --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" -l "`getprop haret.kernel`"

it says:

getprop haret.kernel no such file or directory

[Thanks for your work]

I'm using v 4.0 with 160mb: everything work fine (WiFi, Phone signal), the system is smooth and i'm not experiencing crashes: i was used to see regular "Tasker" (the application) crash and some "auto-reboot", Titanium scheduled backup was not working (you wrote you solved, and it is!), so now is everithing ok.

Edited by zappazz

Guest ipaq3870

Typing kexec --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" -l "`getprop haret.kernel`"

it says:

getprop.haret.kernel no such file or directory

These are shell programming commands - be very careful about the quotes:

Double quote --> " (?123 key then c)

Back quote --> ` (?123 key then ALT key then 2)

You pasted the command correctly in this post but apparently not in the command terminal. There are non-breaking double quote-back quote or back quote-double quote sequences. And there's no dot between getprop and haret.kernel as well.

Also remember to unplug USB before trying.

Guest l750101

4.0 AHB Overclocked & CPU Underclocked & 24bpp Framebuffer

CPU: 667Mhz / AHB: 166Mhz / 141MB free memory / 24bpp display

Build No: ae49c12-950

Note: always watch first post for latest builds in case this build has been superseded.

thank you!

Guest con73

How to correct the accuracy of touch? In the upper left corner point shift to the right. TheWinMo is correct, also the old version cm2 was about my version is @ ipaq667/166/160/24 with all the changes.

The second issue concerns the GPS. I do not get the position.

Edited by con73

Guest ipaq3870

hi ipaq after i followed the kexec instructions the phone hangs every time i choose reboot , any ideas??

Check steps 7 - 8 again.

4.0 667mhz-166mhz-160mb-24bpp Wi-Fi not work/ GSM work.

ipaq3870 How do wifi ??

See if the first 2 points in the Troubleshooting section of this post helps? If necessary, reinstall from scratch may help according to various members who did that successfully.

How to correct the accuracy of touch? In the upper left corner point shift to the right. TheWinMo is correct, also the old version cm2 was about my version is @ ipaq667/166/160/24 with all the changes.

The second issue concerns the GPS. I do not get the position.

Touch? IIRC, I didn't touch the touch part of the kernel, i.e. the touch screen driver. Did you try any prior version(s) of my kernel and encounter this issue? As far as I know, there are calibration data hardcoded in s3c-ts.c. You may want to take a look at it.

As for GPS, I think I didn't touch that as well, and the problem seems stemmed back at least from at least cm b2. I guess you can find your answer in the stopped b2 thread. I have the feeling that it's an Android build problem though I didn't really look at it.

Guest zappazz

These are shell programming commands - be very careful about the quotes:

Double quote --> " (?123 key then c)

Back quote --> ` (?123 key then ALT key then 2)

You pasted the command correctly in this post but apparently not in the command terminal. There are non-breaking double quote-back quote or back quote-double quote sequences. And there's no dot between getprop and haret.kernel as well.

Also remember to unplug USB before trying.

Assuming that, in terminal, quotes are obtained in these way:

' typing [?123 then c]

" typing [?123 then x]

` typing [?123 then ALT then 2]

I tryed:

1)kexec --command-line=''cat /proc/cmdline'' -l ''getprop haret.kernel''

kexec --command-line=[?123 then c][?123 then c]cat /proc/cmdline[?123 then c][?123 then c] -l [?123 then c][?123 then c]getprop haret.kernel[?123 then c][?123 then c]

Result:

It seems to work, no error on terminal.

But when i use the successive commands synk[enter] kexec -e[enter], system hangs (I need to remove battery)

2)kexec --command-line="cat /proc/cmdline" -l "getprop haret.kernel"

kexec --command-line=[?123 then x]cat /proc/cmdline[?123 then x] -l [?123 then x]getprop haret.kernel[?123 then x]

Result:

Cannot open `getprop haret.kernel': No such file or directory

3)kexec --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" -l "`getprop haret.kernel`"

kexec --command-line=[?123 then x][?123 then ALT then 2]cat /proc/cmdline[?123 then ALT then 2][?123 then x] -l [?123 then x][?123 then ALT then 2]getprop haret.kernel[?123 then ALT then 2][?123 then x]

Result:

Cannot open `': No such file or directory

4)kexec --command-line=''`cat /proc/cmdline`'' -l ''`getprop haret.kernel`''

kexec --command-line=[?123 then c][?123 then c][?123 then ALT then 2]cat /proc/cmdline[?123 then ALT then 2][?123 then c][?123 then c] -l [?123 then c][?123 then c][?123 then ALT then 2]getprop haret.kernel[?123 then ALT then 2][?123 then c][?123 then c]

Result:

Cannot open `root=/dev/mmcblk1p2': No such file or directory

(root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 is the partition written into my startup.txt)

Thanks.