r2 (5.8.0.2) / r3 (6.0.0.4) - Interim ClockworkMod recovery for Nexus 7

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Ronthecat

Any luck on figuring out file deletion for R2?

I was going to mkfs the data part I've been so frustrated by that, here is how I fixed it, so easy... partition 9 is the data partition

mkdir /sdcard/temp-p9

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /sdcard/temp-p9

cd /sdcard/temp-p9/media/clockworkmod/backup

rm -r *backupDateYouWantToDelete*

cd /

sync

umount /sdcard/temp-p9

rmdir /sdcard/temp-p9

Win! Let me know if this works. It's just mounting data without the extra options and it'll let you delete the backups.

Cheers,

Nick.

Guest The Soup Thief

@Highland3r FWIW koush had something on G+ the other day about Clockwork 6 being much quicker to generate further backups, since it produces incremental backups, that is, supplementing previous backups with the info which has since changed. This leads to new backups being teeny tiny in comparison with those produced by previous versions (though obv you need to avoid deleting any of the incremental backups or you've blown it)

Or that's what I understood him to mean anyway - here's the linky to his g+ post

Guest Stilllife

Evening, I finally took the plunge and bought the Nexus 7. Out of the box its a great piece of kit but I am, like all here, looking to do more with it. The instructions seem simple enough to 1st timer like myself but I seem to snagged at the first step.

As I understand it, first step is to launch up ES File explorer on the unit and select the two options : settings / up to root & root explorer. But when I select the 2nd option I get "sorry, test failed. This option can not be run on your phone". So don't really know what I am doing wrong here - google doesn't seem to have any help on what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advance. Link I am using is Link as my understanding is I need to install clockworkMod to the device first, then load up the R3 file before the rom's to overwrite the unit to the custom build, right?

Guest Highland3r

@Highland3r FWIW koush had something on G+ the other day about Clockwork 6 being much quicker to generate further backups, since it produces incremental backups, that is, supplementing previous backups with the info which has since changed. This leads to new backups being teeny tiny in comparison with those produced by previous versions (though obv you need to avoid deleting any of the incremental backups or you've blown it)

Or that's what I understood him to mean anyway - here's the linky to his g+ post

Yup saw that, I'd still expect the first backup to be a large one with any subsequent being small(er) - wasn't seeing that in the folder sizes. A restore seemed to work ok (no full wipe) so I'll assume for now that everything is working as it should given the factory restore method is easy as pie if things do go south!

Guest nicksoph

... I'd still expect the first backup to be a large one with any subsequent being small(er) - wasn't seeing that in the folder sizes.

There are now two folders - the one called 'blobs' contains the actual files (renamed to their hash values) the other (backups?) contains info needed to manage backups. togther they should add up to the size of just about all your files on the N7 (i think about 700mb on mine)

nick

Edited by nicksoph

Guest Highland3r

There are now two folders - the one called 'blobs' contains the actual files (renamed to their hash values) the other (backups?) contains info needed to manage backups. togther they should add up to the size of just about all your files on the N7 (i think about 700mb on mine)

nick

Cheers - just the info I was after thank you! The first backup seemed small compared to older versions of CWM (I know the process has been changed etc but the small initial backup is what threw me)

Edited by Highland3r

Guest Custnam

I was going to mkfs the data part I've been so frustrated by that, here is how I fixed it, so easy... partition 9 is the data partition

mkdir /sdcard/temp-p9

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /sdcard/temp-p9

cd /sdcard/temp-p9/media/clockworkmod/backup

rm -r *backupDateYouWantToDelete*

cd /

sync

umount /sdcard/temp-p9

rmdir /sdcard/temp-p9

Win! Let me know if this works. It's just mounting data without the extra options and it'll let you delete the backups.

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks for this, but I decided to go with TWRP. I was having restore issues with it at first, but I figured it out. Thanks again.

Guest Cannonball_CO

[...]

Cheers,

Nick.

Hi Nick, thanks so much for posting this. I installed Paul's modified 5.8.0.2 for the N7 and had the same problem with being unable to delete files. I noticed that by default that the storage is mounted nosuid, this is the source of the problem (you probably already know this)... and of course the backup files are owned by root.

Paul, if you ever do find time to correct the 5.8.0.2 r2 you produced I think it would be sufficient to make it write backups to the device as UID 1023 (I think - this is the user_id option in the mount file). I greatly appreciate your posting a modified 5.8 release, as I do not care for the new 6.0 system with its huge numbers of directories for the hash blobs. Better for me to simply remove the tar files created by the former version.

Hmm wait I take it back, on the GNex they are also owned by root from the 5.8.0.2 official release, but the directories are mode 775 rather than 664. The sdcard filesystem is also mounted nosuid on the GNex... OK forget it, that's not the problem!!

Edited by Cannonball_CO

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cannonball_CO

I just deleted the directories from /data/media/clockworkmod rather than /sdcard/clockworkmod and problem solved...?

P

If it's that easy, sweet! Thanks for the fix. The filesystem is mounted there as well, I take it, under different permissions...? Must be. Thanks again, 'adb shell' and its' a done deal.

Guest danny8

I just deleted the directories from /data/media/clockworkmod rather than /sdcard/clockworkmod and problem solved...?

Solved! Thank you very much. I was looking for a solution and to understand what the problem was. Check, check. For my Nexus 7, rooted, stock + CWM 6.0.0.6.

Sent from Houston, USA.