Huawei G510 cannot connect to the camera

Guest n908671

Guest n908671

Hi every

I've got a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I've got a chinese Huawei G510-0010 phone. The one without Google apps and preinstalled with a bunch of chinese apps.

I unlocked the phone with the code supplied by Huawei and rooted the phone. I then uninstalled all the unwanted chinese apps

I then manually installed Google Apps (Play) but copying the required apk over to the system/apps folder, changing the permissions etc...

Google Play fired up, installed youtube, maps etc...

Everything works fine ................

.....except for the camera

When I try to run it I get an error message saying "cannot connect to camera"

I've googled possible fixes and some say I need to do this or that to the camera apk in the system/apps folder - the problem is there is no camera apk there

I tried installed a third party camera app - same error message

I tried copying into the system/apps folder the JB 4.2.1 camera apk and folders - I get a different type of error message when running the app

I'm about to resort to two final possible fixes but would like to avoid doing either if possible

1. Factory restore - not sure if I will have to reroot the phone and also if it will delete the apps I've installed in the system/apps folder

2. Reflash with an original chinese rom and start again

Any thoughts people?

Guest Voxpop2011

Back up your apps AND data with Titanium back up as if you have to factory reset, all these will disappear. When you have fixed the problem, reinstall Titanium and restore your apps. A factory reset should not remove root.

Edited by Voxpop2011

Guest n908671

Back up your apps AND data with Titanium back up as if you have to factory reset, all these will disappear. When you have fixed the problem, reinstall Titanium and restore your apps. A factory reset should not remove root.

Thanks - how does a factory reset work? Does it just delete all apps and data? In which case if I've accidently deleted the camera apk in the system/apps folder or done some other modifications, it might not fix my problem. Worth a go anyway.

Guest Voxpop2011

A factory reset/restore will wipe all third party apps, which is why I suggest using Titanium back-up if resetting is your only option. The camera is part of the build, so doing a reset is should bring it back.

If you have data in your installed apps that you don't want to lose, it is vital that you back-up not just the app, but also the data. When you reinstall Titanium look for your apps and restore.

Guest ZolaIII

Did you try the front camera, is it working?

If the camera is not working after factory resets then you have a hardware issue so go to the service!

Guest Frankish

If there is no camera.apk in system a factory reset will most definitely not bring it back that's wrong. Factory reset wipes data partition etc it doesn't touch system at all.

I'd backup with titanium then reinstall the full rom you are on then restore data. The full rom install is what will restore the system partition/camera apk.

Guest Frankish

It's not camera apk its gallery2 apk and that's the default Google camera!

Isn't gallery2.apk just the actual gallery app? Surely the camera isn't integrated into the gallery app? There must either be a camera.apk or Huawei-Camera.apk in there too usually.