• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[Q] Running desktop applications

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi folks,

thinking of buying the osg to be able to fix urgent issues while commuting to/from work. But not sure about compatibility z2460 with binaries for x86, though it’s ok with z2760 (acer w510, http://www.amazon.co.../R3SAAMO1QHCGB1). And otg specs are good enough for not heavy desktop applications (e.g. a browser with flash and java, or some ide).

Did anybody try to run desktop applications (without source code or not recompiled) in chroot on orange san diego or other atom smartphones?

Or please share your thoughts on this.

Thank you

Posted

Courtesy of Zhiming Zhou (http://zohead.com/ar...=en#comment-643)

If you run a full desktop Linux system in XOLO X900 like android x86 device,

desktop Linux runs in chroot environment (in android x86 kernel), it’s able to run PC applications

Please refer to my post about running Ubuntu for Android on XOLO X900:

http://zohead.com/ar...o-x900/?lang=en

I’ve managed to run desktop programs like: Ubuntu One, Skype, Sopcat, LibreOffice …

And also it’s able to run some Windows program with Wine emulator in desktop Linux

And just out of curiosity possibly there were some programs which didn’t work? (I mean not games, but think games statistic will be interesting for others as well)

The problem is I’m using a DisplayLink USB display adapter (with powered USB hub, very ugly) for X11 desktop Linux display,

if you want to avoid use USB display adapter, you may need to use tightvncserver to run X11 server,

and run VNC viewer in Android to connect to desktop Linux (you can use HDMI output to larger screen for XOLO X900),

VNC performance is quite poor, you can’t do something like gaming, video playback may also quite slow

And if you are running chroot Ubuntu, Upstart may not work well, there is a solution in my blog

Also some hardware or driver related program can’t run in chroot Linux

Thank you