Android 4.4 Kit Kat OTA update arrived

Guest andybarker

Guest andybarker

I got the 4.4 OTA update yesterday.  Working fine, no obvious benefits.  Have two users on it, which seemed to slow it down before - and no speed increase that I've seen so far.

Anyone noticed any tangible benefits on the Nexus 7 2012?

None at all, but have noticed two real disbenefits

1. Flash will not work with any browser apparently,

2. Email sync is up the spout

Anybody know how to go back to 4.3?

Don't keep backups, not rooted, no valuable data. Just want to go back to 4.3.

And I do wonder how Google gets away with/thinks it can treat its customers like s***, though I guess I am guilty of automatically accepting so called upgrades without checking out the change log.

fairly unimpressive, nothing visible changed or improved.  I sideloaded the new launcher though and that is much better (the google now etc), not noticed too many issues with it either...so why they couldn't have sorted it for the Nexus 7s property and released it with the OTA I don't know.

Seems like it was released because Nexus 5 was ready in time for xmas, rather than KitKat being ready.

Guest execpwd

fairly unimpressive, nothing visible changed or improved.  I sideloaded the new launcher though and that is much better (the google now etc), not noticed too many issues with it either...so why they couldn't have sorted it for the Nexus 7s property and released it with the OTA I don't know.

Seems like it was released because Nexus 5 was ready in time for xmas, rather than KitKat being ready.

Excuse me ... What launcher are you talking about ? The 'KitKat' launcher ? How do i sideload it ? ( considering the fact that I own a G.N.7 - first generation - unrooted and with a locked bootloader ... ). Is there any chance to get that 'feel' of a true KitKat launcher? 

Also, I didn't have the chance to use N7 with Android 4.3.x , because I bought it with 4.4 preinstalled ... 

OK, reinstalled 4.3 using the wugfresh nexus root toolkit, though I would not recommend it because I bricked the device a couple of days ago, nevertheless still using the toolkit i eventually arrived at an unbricking combination of actions.

Of course, on reboot, the device has immediately downloaded the 4.4 update which is menacing me from the notification bar, surprising how often my finger seems to be drawn towards it, anybody know how to remove this?

Edited by mrrog

Guest execpwd

Thanks.

For those who also want a similar experience, but without that microphone listening to you constantly, I recommend KitKat Launcher (Prime). It's pretty nice.

Got rid of that update notification, went to the 'Google services framework' in settings/apps and unticked the notifications box, then ticked it back on, voila, I have flash back, the blue icons in the notifications bar, etc, etc, and the world seems back in balance.

Edited by mrrog

Guest andybarker

4.4.2 is out too! I also have no idea what they improved :)

Googling around, it sounds like a few urgent bug fixes over 4.4.1.  So doubt anyone will *see* any changes.