[ROM][4.4.4][ALL] SlimKat 9.1 UNOFFICIAL [29/12/2015]

Guest chil360

Guest c01v1p4q

Slim-u8833-4.4.4.build.7.0.20140805-CHIL360 standard Y300 (Europe) with Slim_full_gapps.4.4.4.build.7.x-187

Bug #1: Google Now randomly starts opening
Problem: defective by design
Solution: Boot into recovery, mount system, remove /system/priv-app/GoogleSearch.apk (I also removed /system/app/GoogleHome.apk to be sure) with adb shell

Bug #2: Music randomly starts playing
Problem: If you wiggle the headphone jack in a certain manner it may or may not send media button events rather frequently to your music app for whatever reason
Solution:  I SPENT THE WHOLE NIGHT ON WRITING A DAMN APP .. or rather drawing stupid icons, taking screenshots and getting it on the Android market somehow (DisableAutoPlay app doesn't work, if someone would program a dummymediabuttonlistener it could be made the default app with the autoplay app ...)

Bug #3: Volume decreases randomly to approximately 60%
Problem: New Bugfeature in Kitkat
Solution: Settings->Sound->Advanced options->Safe headset volume UNCHECK

Bug #4: Trusting applications (e.g. OpenVPN) doesn't survive a phone reboot, app ceases functioning until manually trusted again
Problem: Probably new bugfeature in Kitkat
Solution: Scroll to the bottom of http://code.google.com/p/ics-openvpn/issues/detail?id=28 there is a workaround for the bug and custom apk link from the openvpn developer. You have to root-install the Xposed framework first, because the bug is caused by the android API itself.

Bug #5: In ESFileExplorer (and possibly other apps), the external SD card randomly presents as the internal one, even if rebooted
(i.e. in other apps and through adb shell everything worked as usual but in ESFileExplorer /sdcard /storage/sdcard0 /storage/sdcard1 /mnt/internal_sd_card , etc., etc. _all_ showed the directory contents of the internal one. Is this now like Windows Virtual Storage in Kitkat? Extremely dysfunctional.)
Problem: Probably related to new SD card bugfeature and/or pre-installed workarounds
Solution: NONE YET. Try creating a new folder each on both partitions with mkdir over adb shell .. in my case that worked temporarily.

Seems to be a problem of ESFileExplorer only.

Bug #6: SU didn't work.
Problem: Kitkat just broke the old SU mechanism, to render current rootkits dysfunctional
Solution: Boot into recovery and load the latest SuperSU zip ( http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip worked in my case)

You must activate Root and SuperSU in the Developer Options!

I found Settings->Advanced options -> Superuser to manage SU. But it looks like I now bypassed whatever came with the Slimkat ROM with the SuperSU app (the app list there is empty). Also strange that I didn't get any notifications, when executing su in adb shell. It just didn't work without any errors as if malfunctioning. I would expect at least a text output "sorry, su disabled in android settings" and a negative exit code if this is a new feature. All I found online is that su was arbitrarily broken in Kitkat with most apps, so I assumed it was that. UPDATE: The Developer Options page randomly made itself invisible in the settings! WHAT IS THIS?? When the ROM booted initially, it was the first thing I opened to disable animations and everything. Now it went missing until I tapped the kernel textlabel in "About Phone" a dozen times out of desperation (like you have to for the easter egg in ICS ....). I don't know if you find this funny people but it is not a joke to me, I need this device for work (in particular sysadmin emergencies) and 2 days straigt I am fiddling it back and forth, on this tiny screen with this tiny keyboard where you barely can read 4 lines of text at once ... only to go from one dysfunction to another. I am 2 days late with my project because this device needs to function properly. The menu tree structures in android are often indecipherable intransparent nonsense, barely showing 3-5 items on a page, requiring you to iterate through each and every one of them, not unlike "menu->settings->options->advanced options->subsetting #1->advanced->developer->more->What you were looking for"... And then some vital option page just keeps disappearing as if it is april fools day and my agony is all a joke and all the fun in my life consists of hitting a 4 inch display with a 1/2 inch thumb and getting cramps in my fist and most intense frustration?!? I am loosing my nerves people... nothing works properly anymore, features and bugs are indistinguishable, developers now are all assholes because endusers now are all retarded and it is all so tiny and brittle and apparently optimized to be used by tarsiers or something as ridiculous as that?! no no no no ... sorry.

Bug #7: Phone turns off vibration + ringtone randomly and you miss your phone calls and new mails
Problem: Bugfeature since ICS, the volume down button doesn't just lower the volume but also disables vibration, even if the screen is locked.
Solution: Install the vibrate mode by force app or buy a silicon case where the volume buttons are almost impossible to press by accident

Edited by c01v1p4q

Guest farfix

For Bug5... Use MiXplorer instead ESFileExplorer.

It's lighter than ES

I just changed the prefered memory to "SD Card", made a reboot and then MiXplorer changed the prefered memory to my SD...

Excelent release btw...

I installed it with SwapdragonX v2 + Crossbreeder 12 and Trickster Mod... It's really faster! :D

I only want the port of adreno... I want to play without GlTools support :P

Guest Steven3k

Hi guys,

I have some issues with build 6.4 (and some previous ones) on G510. If Google now / location reporting is active then I get huge battery drains.

The same problems seems to appear on other roms/phones as well. Wakelock Detector shows that the phone is unable to go into deep sleep due to a wakelock related to location reporting.

Disabling Google now (and location reporting) solves the issue... most of the time. Indeed, from time to time I also experience battery drains.

I have the feeling that this is related to Google services.

Also I can't get the stock calendar to sync with Google calendar unless I also install Google calendar from the market.

(I have tried with both banks gapps and slim gapps full)

What is your setup? Which gapps are you using? Which launcher do you use? Do you use frequency scaling (which governor and settings)? 

It would be great if you could recommend some working settings.

Edited by Steven3k

Guest Hanzome

Happy i tried this rom .. works perfectly .. in my G330 U8825-1 .. thanks @Chil360 great job.....

Ow... sorry just noticed now battery draining hard.. just that i noticed.. but everything works fine with me..  just he battery consumption.. any suggestions?

Edited by Hanzome

Guest c01v1p4q

Ow... sorry just noticed now battery draining hard.. just that i noticed.. but everything works fine with me..  just he battery consumption.. any suggestions?

Try removing Google Now (boot recovery remove apk, see Bug #1 in my previous post) and turn off location reporting from the quick options submenu in the notification bar if you see the location icon in the upper right corner.

Edited by c01v1p4q

Guest ZolaIII

Bug #4: se Linux & external tunneling module!

Bug #3: not a bug bat a future.

Bug #6: integrated SU is from pre K.K. era & it's not certified to work with it. Never had a real problem with it except for that it knows to be slow. This integration is indeed misfortune one. Bark at Slims web site about it!

Bug #7: Did you ever considered pressing a button & not holding it down? As again this is future.

Bug #5: Don't really know how partitions are mount in Slim bat their is nothing more tied to it.

Bug #1: sometimes cache gets stuck causing apps to misbehaving or even not working. Wiping it usually resolves problems. With Google now this is nothing new & it's not tied to Slim or K.K.

Bug #2: future again & dependent of how in app implemented, not implemented as it should be in most apps.

Congratulations! From more than 1000 bugs you have found none!

If you are a system administrator I am Mary Poppins!

Hate & insulting language is forbidden on this & any other forum ("developers now are all assholes because endusers now are all retarded")!

When you don't know something do a search about it & reed!

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest Karakura Red

So, you need this phone for work, yet you carelessly wipe it and install a custom ROM without properly looking through the information about it? It's not hard to find out, that in order to use root permissions you have to activate it in the developer option, which you first have to activate by tapping on the build number a few times. I found that out before installing it.

And then you write a rant about how shitty everything and everyone is although you're the only one experiencing those problems or they don't have anything to do with the ROM.

Way to go.

developers now are all assholes because endusers now are all retarded

Guest GReddyBlackie

Happy i tried this rom .. works perfectly .. in my G330 U8825-1 .. thanks @Chil360 great job.....

Ow... sorry just noticed now battery draining hard.. just that i noticed.. but everything works fine with me.. just he battery consumption.. any suggestions?

Did managed to connect to whatsapp and hangout on data enabled carrier? On ur g330 u8825-1

Guest c01v1p4q

Bug #4: se Linux & external tunneling module! Doesn't change that state is not memorized and thus app ceases functioning.

Bug #3: not a bug bat a future. Bugfeature. Implements software behavior based on assumptions about user behavior and the hardware environment that cannot be universally true thus leading to dysfunction under non-standard conditions until the feature is turned off entirely. Example1: A toaster that doesn't toast between 10 pm and 6 am for no functional or apparent reason, without further mention, because it assumes people to be sleeping at that time until it is reconfigured to behave differently. Example2: An audio playback device that randomly reduces volume if the headphone jack looses contact for minute moments, because it assumes the user to either not be aware of their senses or not sufficiently capable of reason thus even raising a need for volume reduction. Secondly it assumes the hardware to flawlessly maintain contact even though it is known to be impossible with connectors and conditions (i.e. moving and wiggling the jack in your pocket) in questions.

Bug #6: integrated SU is from pre K.K. era & it's not certified to work with it. Never had a real problem with it except for that it knows to be slow. This integration is indeed misfortune one. Bark at Slims web site about it!

Bug #7: Did you ever considered pressing a button & not holding it down? As again this is future. No. A mobile phone has to be able to be kept in a pocket, in a bag or any other quickly accessible common carrying implement all the same, where hardware buttons might be pressed by accident. Hence mobile phones have screen locks. If the screen lock can be bypassed by accident and rather frequently, such that because of it the purpose of the phone may not be met (i.e. for the phone to be noticed when called), whatever implimentation leading to it is a bug if it cannot be turned off, by logical necessity, considering sane and reasonable assumptions about the user and their possible usage.

Bug #5: Don't really know how partitions are mount in Slim bat their is nothing more tied to it. Not related to mounting since they mounted correctly but the app didn't present it that way.

Bug #1: sometimes cache gets stuck causing apps to misbehaving or even not working. Wiping it usually resolves problems. With Google now this is nothing new & it's not tied to Slim or K.K. It is partially related to the new ROM. I ran ICS from modded stock ROM and Google Search didn't trigger as agressively and as much at random, neither did the hardware media buttons over the headphone jack trigger as much erroneously. Anyway, a feature that causes unwanted heavily disruptive behavior is not a feature if you can't turn it off. There is no reason at all you cannot truly turn Google Search off. Maybe you tell me now it is "the future" to just adjust to any "unwanted heavily disruptive behavior" but I beg to differ.

Bug #2: future again & dependent of how in app implemented, not implemented as it should be in most apps. Nonsense.

Hate & insulting language is forbidden on this & any other forum ("developers now are all assholes because endusers now are all retarded")!

Congratulations. Now you know I am a human being.

Oh, btw. did you mean to say "feature" or "future"? Telling from other spelling errors of yours, it seems like you are considerably impaired in your ability to type text.

Edited by c01v1p4q

Guest ZolaIII

Well from JB it is (Google search), other are mostly tied to K.K. Not thrilled where Android is going either! As for openVPN it's a added external kernel module (ko) so you need to initialize it manually or you could recompile kernel with it enabled. Actually all you're objections are addressed to Google (except SU) not to anyone else as they did pack all of those as standard features. You can disable Google search. As you are a smart guy you can customize your ROM for your one needs as I did.

I have a tipping problem bat its better than having not understanding problem (on a level of psychological categories)! :D

Search & start with searching the G510-Y300 section of forum & you will find that almost all "problems" you described them as are discussed & explained.

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest c01v1p4q

I am just done with the world, 3 days of using Android 30 days of anger. Sorry if I sound aggressive, but I just am. There are no words to express the superfluousness of the inefficiencies I am facing.

Edited by c01v1p4q

Guest ZolaIII

Well I always found a late CM7 (Ginger 2.3.7) to be a best android build bat that whose long time ago. I could look true Google's fingers with 4.0.4 because MP support & nice design. All newer is not actually to put it exactly the "progress" in a positive way. I am even afraid of how partly L will look like & not really confident Google can make a good compiler...

Guest c01v1p4q

It's not hard to find out, that in order to use root permissions you have to activate it in the developer option, which you first have to activate by tapping on the build number a few times. I found that out before installing it.

So, wait ... are you saying that it is not hard to find out that the su binary will not work without any error messages or warnings or negative exit codes, as if it was malfunctioning like you know it from a failed root exploit, because there is a specific option in System Settings->Developer Options->Debugging->Root Access to invoke exactly that behavior, instead of something more transparent with causes ascertainable by the user (e.g. a mere message "sorry, disabled in options") implementable by virtually equal efforts, if you could only see that option because it will be entirely invisible and can only be made accessible by first going into System Settings->About Phone and tapping a dozen times on the "Build number" text label for no apparent reason at all... which merely opened an easteregg picture in past android versions and didn't do anything meaningful in the Android version you used previously .. but wait just a second there: if you had only known of such a necessity, because the submenu you will find that option in was visible when you first booted the ROM to begin with and it hid itself at random later on, making you wonder where the settings you are looking for suddenly went to, in the zillion menu and submenu tree structure labyrinths of Android, which you are not even used to and have not memorized yet, because you switched to a new version and everything is potentially ordered in a slightly different manner - just like the path to the easteregg now doesn't open an easteregg anymore but something entirely different. But you did already configure everything in that submenu so you don't really recognize where something you can now think of and need is missing, except for that one new option you don't even know to exist yet. If there was only a documentation about those menus and features, but you can't even google it, it is 'documented' in source code and random blog posts and news articles on page 300 on google, some only reachable over archive.org or from the google cache because of MySQL database error and most importantly because no one cares. Even more so, if you google your current issue you will only find that SuperSU is broken in Kitkat apparently indistinguishable to the way it currently appears on your phone, leading you to believe you need to upgrade your binary... on a user-build ROM with an OS (sub-)version so new possibly 99% of the phones don't have it, that was made possible by leaked firmware where conditions and errors unaccounted for are rather to be expected... But no, it is a new feature, how would you not notice that instantly?

Damn, that's like ... you know that stuff even before you buy the phone in the store dude! So easy even a fetus would instantly find it. Before you were even born, that logic emerges from the laws of physics.

Btw. I am really thankful for the mod and I know it costs a lot of effort to do one. As you see all those bugs and problems I complained about are issues with android itself or apps from other developers. But they are still there and huge and firstly the "why and how" is important, for people who care anyway. Like tech-savvy audiences or something.

Edited by c01v1p4q

Guest ZolaIII

The Slim did the mess with integrated costume SU! & gees what? You cant even replace it. Yes it's all on the forum!

I am certain that you will find all of that in SU log. & yes settings & where they are placed in Slim is more than confusing bat there are & some nice & useful features added (not much of them).

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest LotR656

Hi guys,

I have some issues with build 6.4 (and some previous ones) on G510. If Google now / location reporting is active then I get huge battery drains.

The same problems seems to appear on other roms/phones as well. Wakelock Detector shows that the phone is unable to go into deep sleep due to a wakelock related to location reporting.

Disabling Google now (and location reporting) solves the issue... most of the time. Indeed, from time to time I also experience battery drains.

I have the feeling that this is related to Google services.

Also I can't get the stock calendar to sync with Google calendar unless I also install Google calendar from the market.

(I have tried with both banks gapps and slim gapps full)

What is your setup? Which gapps are you using? Which launcher do you use? Do you use frequency scaling (which governor and settings)? 

It would be great if you could recommend some working settings.

I dont know which gapps you flash, but I suppose Full.

After flashing ROM flash this gapps https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?dev=BaNkS&dl=BaNkS/GApps/4.4.4/7-29_GApps_Minimal_4.4.4_signed.zip

after that flash this https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?dev=BaNkS&dl=BaNkS/GApps/4.4.4/7-15_AOSP_Calendar_Sync_4.4.4_signed.zip and this https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?dev=BaNkS&dl=BaNkS/GApps/4.4.4/7-15_AOSP_Browser_Sync_4.4.4_signed.zip

With this you will not  have Google Now and you will have working stock calendar. You cant really disable Google now, because all Google apps have a permission to wake up phone and to start app again (like Keep, Googles, Chrome and Facebook too). If you really want to disable that you need or to turn off Location or to change permission in Google Play Servise (dont allow location). Also you can disable "Keep awake" in permissions, this will stop app when you close it + it will save you RAM.

Guest Karakura Red

So, wait ... are you saying that ...

No, I am saying that if I choose to install a custom ROM, I first check what it does, how it works, what the issues and flaws are. Even more so if I NEED the phone to work. Actually, I wouldn't even risk installing a custom ROM on a phone I need for work. Anyway, if you just have to install it and at least look around a bit on the Homepage of the ROM, you would see that in the FAQ it is explained how exactly to enable root. I can understand that it's confusing if the Developer Options were there but then vanished (which never happened to me, I always had to activate them) and when Superuser doesn't give error messages, but it's far from impossible to find out how to solve it.

That easteregg you're talking about is hidden behind the Android Version and is still there, it wasn't replaced.

But the main point is, SlimRoms and this port are distributed for free. If you want help, you don't come and insult everyone because it's not exactly as you expected.

Edited by Karakura Red