Request Ubuntu Touch

Guest propheus01

Guest propheus01

Let's add some requests for somewone build us a rom of Ubuntu, Dazzozo have make an almost stable for now ( i believe it will get stable ) rom of CM 10.2 and CM 11.0.

I think that now it's usable android parts to build a ubuntu touch rom sicerely i dont care about the games, i use ubuntu on my desktop and i will love to use it on my smartphone.

So now what we need is a custom swapped recovery as i undestand ubuntu touch install to data partition.

We have:

1GB /data dev/block/mmcblk0p18

1009MB /System /dev/block/mmcblk0p17

1GB /Internal sd  /dev/block/mmcblk0p19

For android parts 300MB Should be more that enought.

Let's add the top of requests.

Guest ZolaIII

Its a still a little to early for that!

Let's Ubuntu first resolve all essential stuff like basic native apps & 100 most popular Android apps (to run natively) & tune up Mir a little bit more.

Luckily freedreno is merged in mesa & kernel so graphics won't bea problem.

On the other hand you can only whisper when it comes to DSP support.

I think that native (compiled with normal compiler) apps will run much much faster & a up to date kernel will bring a big performance improvement in FPU based tasks (hard flout isa).

Edited by ZolaIII

tbh... I tried building it... I just kept getting stuck on 1 point (creating ota package, part of building CM)... I tried the CM11 kernel sources from dazzozo against the current of what is in the repository's... which isn't based upon 14.04. So I figured I would wait till 14.04 and the official release and then try it again, but more as Proof on concept to...

if I am correct:

- 13.10 is based upon android cm10.2 (or uses those parts)

- 14.04 will be getting the kitkat things they need

Guest propheus01

tbh... I tried building it... I just kept getting stuck on 1 point (creating ota package, part of building CM)... I tried the CM11 kernel sources from dazzozo against the current of what is in the repository's... which isn't based upon 14.04. So I figured I would wait till 14.04 and the official release and then try it again, but more as Proof on concept to...

if I am correct:

- 13.10 is based upon android cm10.2 (or uses those parts)

- 14.04 will be getting the kitkat things they need

Sometimes the error in OTA package can be fixed by editing  /yourcyanogensourcedirectory/build/tools/releasetools/common.py

Find the line " cmd = [OPTIONS.java_path, "-Xmx2048m", "-jar", " and change "-Xmx2048m" to "-Xmx1024m" or "-Xmx512m". and give it a try.

To compille a kernel to ubuntu touch the config of the kernel source xxxx_defconfig sould have the options below:

CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_NAMESPACES=y
CONFIG_UTS_NS=y
CONFIG_IPC_NS=y
CONFIG_USER_NS=y
CONFIG_PID_NS=y
CONFIG_NET_NS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES=y
CONFIG_FSNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y
CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y
CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y
CONFIG_SWAP=y
# CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK is not set
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

u8833_defconfig file already with the options added: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE-I0L9OCRDc2FEOXpfTWRybkU/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by propheus01

Sometimes the error in OTA package can be fixed by editing  /yourcyanogensourcedirectory/build/tools/releasetools/common.py

Find the line " cmd = [OPTIONS.java_path, "-Xmx2048m", "-jar", " and change "-Xmx2048m" to "-Xmx1024m" or "-Xmx512m". and give it a try.

To compille a kernel to ubuntu touch the config of the kernel source xxxx_defconfig sould have the options below:

CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_NAMESPACES=y
CONFIG_UTS_NS=y
CONFIG_IPC_NS=y
CONFIG_USER_NS=y
CONFIG_PID_NS=y
CONFIG_NET_NS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES=y
CONFIG_FSNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y
CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y
CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y
CONFIG_SWAP=y
# CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK is not set
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

u8833_defconfig file already with the options added: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE-I0L9OCRDc2FEOXpfTWRybkU/edit?usp=sharing

the defconfig I did indeed  changed already... It's compiled till the following error:

unable to load device-specific module; assuming none
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 860, in <module>
    main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 832, in main
    WriteFullOTAPackage(input_zip, output_zip)
  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 409, in WriteFullOTAPackage
    script.Mount("/system")
  File "/home/felsch/ubnt-touch/build/tools/releasetools/edify_generator.py", line 150, in Mount
    p = fstab[mount_point]
KeyError: '/system'

Internet isn't much helpful(then again, I only looked, never asked) and ubuntu would get better support in the next version, hence I am waiting for the next version. 

Guest propheus01

the defconfig I did indeed changed already... It's compiled till the following error:

unable to load device-specific module; assuming noneTraceback (most recent call last):  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 860, in <module>    main(sys.argv[1:])  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 832, in main    WriteFullOTAPackage(input_zip, output_zip)  File "./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files", line 409, in WriteFullOTAPackage    script.Mount("/system")  File "/home/felsch/ubnt-touch/build/tools/releasetools/edify_generator.py", line 150, in Mount    p = fstab[mount_point]KeyError: '/system'
Internet isn't much helpful(then again, I only looked, never asked) and ubuntu would get better support in the next version, hence I am waiting for the next version.

Take o look at your #Recovery part on Boardconfig.mk more specific the partions size.

ex. this is u8951 BoardConfig.mk part. CM

# Partitions

BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x12C00000

BOARD_USERDATAIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x0AF00000

BOARD_BOOTIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00C00000

BOARD_RECOVERYIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00C00000

BOARD_FLASH_BLOCK_SIZE := 0x00020000

BOARD_CACHE_DEVICE := /dev/block/mmcblk0p15

BOARD_CACHE_FILESYSTEM := ext4

BOARD_CACHE_FILESYSTEM_OPTIONS := rw

BOARD_SYSTEM_DEVICE := /dev/block/mmcblk0p17

BOARD_SYSTEM_FILESYSTEM := ext4

BOARD_SYSTEM_FILESYSTEM_OPTIONS := rw

BOARD_DATA_DEVICE := /dev/block/mmcblk0p18

BOARD_DATA_FILESYSTEM := ext4

BOARD_DATA_FILESYSTEM_OPTIONS := rw

Try delete BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x12C00000 and retry i once encounter that error and by deleting this was able to build.

Edited by propheus01

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest jakos176

Hello¡¡

Someone can continue with this ROM? I like Ubuntu, and i think that smartphone can work with other ROM, not just Android

Thanks

Sorry for my english, i´m spanish

Guest MadHatterRyu

Give it up.. our phone isn't REALLY upto it. EVEN if we port Ubuntu onto our devices, we can't utilise ANY of it's features with just two A5 cores clocked at 1ghz and 512 mb ram.

And even if it were upto it, Qualcomm's support is terrible. This is a dated, inefficient 45nm die that is several generations old. Adreno 203 has not only outlived it's use but it barely even came into market on more than a handful devices.

Don't go by OS, don't go by device, go by how the two come together as an EXPERIENCE.

Guest slfl

Give it up.. our phone isn't REALLY upto it. EVEN if we port Ubuntu onto our devices, we can't utilise ANY of it's features with just two A5 cores clocked at 1ghz and 512 mb ram.

And even if it were upto it, Qualcomm's support is terrible. This is a dated, inefficient 45nm die that is several generations old. Adreno 203 has not only outlived it's use but it barely even came into market on more than a handful devices.

Don't go by OS, don't go by device, go by how the two come together as an EXPERIENCE.

WHAT?! GOTO G300/G3001. This phone have a port Ubuntu touch...

But, have a small core.

Guest Athernet

I hope that some developer hear us and port ubuntu touch for our device. Really i m waiting for it since so looooong !!!

Guest jakos176
When the developer tried to port the ROM was last year....the code of ubuntu is best than last year....Why dont try again?
Somebody want try it? We can be testers or try to help someway....

Sorry for my english, I´m spanish
Edited by jakos176

Guest fonz93

I tried to build. But there was an error with the kernel and do not intend to.

When the developer tried to port the ROM was last year....the code of ubuntu is best than last year....Why dont try again?
Somebody want try it? We can be testers or try to help someway....

Sorry for my english, I´m spanish

Is that post from last year?

Guest Ceastel

At the end of 2013 year I compiled one private build of ubuntu touch for y300 and it worked.

It was laggy very hard but on acceptable level to just see how it look like.
In most cases, most things are compatible.

I wish it motivate some devs cuz now ubuntu touch should running much better than 2 years ago ...

Greetings,

Ceastel

Guest slfl

At the end of 2013 year I compiled one private build of ubuntu touch for y300 and it worked.

I wish it motivate some devs cuz now ubuntu touch should running much better than 2 years ago ...

Greetings,

Ceastel

o_O

You have a info for porting? Or can't help?

Guest jakos176

Greetings,

Ceastel

UOOO ... Can you give more information, please?

Guest juanpablocastillo

Fake fake fakeeeeee

You don't have idea of what are you talking about. What arguments do you have to say than Ceastel is lying?

Edited by juanpablocastillo