build.prop settings to enhance/improve device

There are a lot of false or placebo settings all around the web. I'd like to collect setting which really work and either enhance or even improve user experience on our Huawei phones.

Going to start with this one:

Enable tiled rendering and dirty region rendering for GLRenderer on msm7627a to improve the performance of hw-accelerated UX apps like contacts, sms and email.

debug.enabletr=true
hwui.render_dirty_regions=true
Edited by Guest

Guest spanitzer

There are a lot of false or placebo settings all around the web. I'd like to collect setting which really work and either enhance or even improve user experience on our Huawei phones.

Going to start with this one:

debug.enabletr=true

For KitKat Roms too?

I know that JeallyBean supports this feature. Dunno about KitKat, but it be strange if it didn't.

Those 2 options definately increase smoothness, but I'm not sure if they also increase battery drain.

Hmm, I cant find those lines, do they need to be added or?

Acoording to a comment by Qualcomm, those 2 options are enabled by DEFAULT on JellyBean, when they are not explicitily set. It doesn't hurt to add those lines neither ... just to make sure your prefered settings are getting enforced.

After reading this: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/storage-wars-do-we-really-need-microsd-cards-in-our-phones--1219436

...I am going to think again about my phone configuration. I've always set my "external SDcard" as primary storage. Probably not the best choice in terms of performance and power drain. huh.png

Acoording to a comment by Qualcomm, those 2 options are enabled by DEFAULT on JellyBean, when they are not explicitily set. It doesn't hurt to add those lines neither ... just to make sure your prefered settings are getting enforced.

After reading this: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/storage-wars-do-we-really-need-microsd-cards-in-our-phones--1219436

...I am going to think again about my phone configuration. I've always set my "external SDcard" as primary storage. Probably not the best choice in terms of performance and power drain. huh.png

What about batter life, is it good after adding those lines?

debug.enabletr=true

Decompile framework.jar and look at HardwareRenderer.smali. It should actually be "debug.hwui.render_dirty_regions" and it's disabled 99% of the time because it causes graphical glitches on some ROM's. The tiled rendering tweak, however, seems to make the launcher a little smoother when switching between home screens. I think there's less microstutter but it's really hard to tell.

There's very few tweaks that actually do work, especially on a Huawei stock ROM because Huawei modified GPU rendering. Obviously I've reverted them changes and that gives a little performance boost, but I still wouldn't call it buttery.

Thx for that hint, going to test it this afternoon. According to an commit of Qualcomm they claim it's only called "hwui....". Going to look for that link later, too.

I'm not sure why Huawei did disable so much GPU related stuff.

I know that they did fix and work around problems, before there were official fixes available by Qualcomm. Obviously Huawei didn't want to "touch a running system" anymore.

In case of possible graphically glitches: it might be possible to solve them with some kernel patches.

I just commented in my thread. I know why the GPU doesn't work for things as I've just fixed it in the last hour ^_^ It's like I've been given a new phone! I've now got a buttery smooth notification menu and extra animations are being used, but there's a rather major issue. It uses more memory, which is something we don't have a lot of as it is. I'm going to look into limiting what processes can have hardware acceleration to free up memory as 8MB of RAM is used per accelerated process (that's on top of whatever the app itself uses). I guess the other thing to look into would be minfree's again.

Edit: The other way I could do this is to patch the SystemUI so only that can use the GPU. No other apps really need the extra bling, especially on a device with low RAM.

Edited by H3ROS

Due of some memory & cache flushing fixes & optimizations, I can say something similarly. That makes me curious how it might work together with those changes on your ROM.

Edited by Guest