[PORT][ROM][12.8.] Remix OS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) for Nexbox A95X

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
53 minutes ago, mega-samu said:

Then, if it was compiled by this source kernel, would one give support to several devices simultaneously? I say it for LibreElec it gives support to several devices with s905 in the same "rom".

No because different devices still have different wifi/bt hardware. It's not that straight forward how Android loads wifi modules. Each wifi hardware needs to configured separately (source example from Odroid-C2/Amlogic BSP: https://github.com/codewalkerster/android_device_hardkernel_common/blob/s905_5.1.1_master/wifi.mk). That's not possible to do with a single ROM. Bluetooth needs vendor specific extension as well.

Edited by KonstaT

On 04.08.2016 at 8:13 PM, KonstaT said:

Here's a small fix to get home/back/menu/volume buttons working on the remote control. Mouse and keyboard still recommended but the remote might be handy with kodi and such. Flash this in TWRP after flashing the ROM.

RemixOS-nexbox_a95x-keylayout.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24659325368664655
md5:8484d4753234b2b14bf5b59241cbbbc7

Hello! Thanks, nice job! I have a question about IR remote key bindings - is it possible to start up Kodi by pressing "Kodi" button on remote controller?

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, skaay said:

Hello! Thanks, nice job! I have a question about IR remote key bindings - is it possible to start up Kodi by pressing "Kodi" button on remote controller?

No, not with this build. I've also ported a newer build (B2016060801) from Vensmile U1 where that works. It's also possible to switch between Remix OS desktop and alternative launcher (Mboxlauncher) with the CloudTV button (or whatever that is above Kodi button). I know there's also an even never build available to Vensmile U1 but I have managed to get that anywhere (I'd prefer to use the most updated build). My todo list is currently quite long so I don't know if/when I'll get to releasing an update.

9 hours ago, KonstaT said:

No, not with this build. I've also ported a newer build (B2016060801) from Vensmile U1 where that works. It's also possible to switch between Remix OS desktop and alternative launcher (Mboxlauncher) with the CloudTV button (or whatever that is above Kodi button). I know there's also an even never build available to Vensmile U1 but I have managed to get that anywhere (I'd prefer to use the most updated build). My todo list is currently quite long so I don't know if/when I'll get to releasing an update.

OK, got it, thanks! :)

Guest KonstaT

Ported new version. This is based on the latest available build for any Amlogic S905 device that I'm aware of (B2016062801 for Vensmile U1).

RemixOS-20160812-nexbox_a95x.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24671318762848889
md5:30f5f0de965e75cac148b701d9cdc406

-Remix OS 2.0.300 B2016062801 (Vensmile U1)
-Remote control improvements
---Pressing CloudTV button alternates between Remix OS desktop and MboxLauncher
---Pressing Kodi button launches Kodi app if installed
-Change display density to something more suitable for TV box

On 12.08.2016 at 5:25 PM, KonstaT said:

Ported new version. This is based on the latest available build for any Amlogic S905 device that I'm aware of (B2016062801 for Vensmile U1).

RemixOS-20160812-nexbox_a95x.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24671318762848889
md5:30f5f0de965e75cac148b701d9cdc406

-Remix OS 2.0.300 B2016062801 (Vensmile U1)
-Remote control improvements
---Pressing CloudTV button alternates between Remix OS desktop and MboxLauncher
---Pressing Kodi button launches Kodi app if installed
-Change display density to something more suitable for TV box

Great, thanks!

Guest Brisma

Hi, I tried this rom and it is fantastic! There is only an issue, the Facebook app can't be installed from Play Store, it always fails with error -504. I already tried all possible solutions like cleaning cache, cleaning data of Google Play Store/Framework/Services etc etc, reinstalla the rom after wipe & format of the partitions etc etc :(

Edited by Brisma

Guest KonstaT
3 hours ago, Brisma said:

Hi, I tried this rom and it is fantastic! There is only an issue, the Facebook app can't be installed from Play Store, it always fails with error -504. I already tried all possible solutions like cleaning cache, cleaning data of Google Play Store/Framework/Services etc etc, reinstalla the rom after wipe & format of the partitions etc etc :(

There's been similar reports on other devices as well. Latest Facebook update has caused some mayhem. You could try using an older version.

Guest Brisma

Uhmm ok, installing an old version of facebook resolved the issue.

In any case there is something of strange with memory management with the android activities because some times seems that a newer is killed by a previous one that try to return from "stopped" status.

Try to run the Antutu benchmark, it will fails in the 3D test in various "moment" restoring the previous activity.

Guest KonstaT
16 minutes ago, Brisma said:

Uhmm ok, installing an old version of facebook resolved the issue.

In any case there is something of strange with memory management with the android activities because some times seems that a newer is killed by a previous one that try to return from "stopped" status.

Try to run the Antutu benchmark, it will fails in the 3D test in various "moment" restoring the previous activity.

Yeah, I think I've had some issues with memory intensive tasks with this build as well. IMO the previous release performed better (still available in the second post of this thread). I think B2016060801 build from Vensmile U1 I was running for few days was fine, too. Only tested this for few hours before releasing it. Haven't had time play around with this device lately but I'll look into this when I get around.

Guest Brisma
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Yeah, I think I've had some issues with memory intensive tasks with this build as well. IMO the previous release performed better (still available in the second post of this thread). I think B2016060801 build from Vensmile U1 I was running for few days was fine, too. Only tested this for few hours before releasing it. Haven't had time play around with this device lately but I'll look into this when I get around.

Uhmm, i just tried the previous version (08/03) and I can confirm that the performance are better. But again, there is something of strange executing "heavy" process, Antuntu still crashing on 3D test but this time, when was testing, had more FPS.

These porting are based on hardware with 2GB of ram? Maybe there are some optimization in the dalvik memory settings inside build.prop that can be changed to limit the "multitasking" properties of Remix OS in favour of heavy single thread process?

P.S: The DPI density on the 08/03 version is better on big screen than 08/12 version IMO :)

Edited by Brisma

Guest KonstaT
53 minutes ago, Brisma said:

Uhmm, i just tried the previous version (08/03) and I can confirm that the performance are better. But again, there is something of strange executing "heavy" process, Antuntu still crashing on 3D test but this time, when was testing, had more FPS.

These porting are based on hardware with 2GB of ram? Maybe there are some optimization in the dalvik memory settings inside build.prop that can be changed to limit the "multitasking" properties of Remix OS in favour of heavy single thread process?

P.S: The DPI density on the 08/03 version is better on big screen than 08/12 version IMO :)

Dalvik properties are the same as in stock firmware. Remix OS is just a bit 'heavier' in general. It really wouldn't hurt to have 2gb of RAM.

I think density in 0803 release (ro.sf.lcd_density=160) is more suitable for desktop use but when you get further away from the display, everything just gets too small to read. Stock firmware also uses the same density as 0812 release (ro.sf.lcd_density=240). You can edit /system/build.prop if you want to change this and I think there's even some apps in Play Store to do exactly this if doing it manually is too much.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest pradeekb

Hello Konsta T,

I have been using your custom Rom from the days of ZTE Blade (2010)! . Your works have been great!!

I have tried this Rom & its simply fantastic !! . I have not encountered any bugs so far but youtube & some of the streaming apps like hotstar takes a 30 sec more time to play compared to stock rom.

Its super user friendly & Kodi is working great

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crashoverride

Does RemixOS support Neflix in HD?

Just wondering, how did you change the remote button for CloudTV, can this also be done on the normal Android TV ROM, is it some config file in android to map the remote buttons? I want to change the CloudTV remote button to open Netflix on the normal ROM... 

14 hours ago, crashoverride said:

Does RemixOS support Neflix in HD?

Just wondering, how did you change the remote button for CloudTV, can this also be done on the normal Android TV ROM, is it some config file in android to map the remote buttons? I want to change the CloudTV remote button to open Netflix on the normal ROM... 

Don't know about Netflix, you tell me. Does it support HD with the stock ROM?

That's a feature that  only newer Remix OS build has and there's config files you can easily edit (/system/etc/jide.globalshortcutkey.applaunch.xml and /system/etc/jide.globalshortcutkey.switchlauncher.xml). Stock ROM has it built in somewhere into framework I haven't looked. You can probably still change it but you'd need to deodex/decompile/recompile some apps/framework.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the great work. I tried the Remix OS port on my NexBox A95X. It boot fine to the desktop. When I run the Chrome browser, it take very long time to open and become un-response. Does anyone have same problem? Or it just run out of memory?    

Guest KonstaT
On 10/17/2016 at 10:51 PM, csoboy said:

Thanks for the great work. I tried the Remix OS port on my NexBox A95X. It boot fine to the desktop. When I run the Chrome browser, it take very long time to open and become un-response. Does anyone have same problem? Or it just run out of memory?    

Like said few posts above, IMO the previous version performs better with memory intensive tasks. It's still available in the second post of this thread.

Edited by KonstaT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
3 hours ago, Sebastina Dardzinski said:

Hi,

Will it work with other S905 devices? I hvae Beelink Mini MXIII. 

Possibly on devices with Realtek rtk8189es wifi (someone already confirmed it working on NEXBOX MXQ PRO). Might boot on other S905 devices as well but wifi/bt won't work. It still would be a much better idea to do a proper port for your device.

Edited by KonstaT