My-S7, MPx, MPx220 and C500 @ TechEd: Question time!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest midnight

kevlar, shorter until you open it, then it aint so small :D

what i do like is the outer display, you can evenb control what mp3/wma's are playing using just the outer display meaning you dont have to open it.

Guest doyle_am

ATP currently top the capacity range on miniSD with 256MB at the moment but 512MB will be here around the end of summer I beleive (and before anyone else has them).

Keep an eye open because I'm hoping to be able to offer the 256MB cards soon at good prices. :D

Any mention of 1Gb miniSD cards?  That would do a lot to convince me of the C500's potential

Guest kevlar
kevlar, shorter until you open it, then it aint so small  

True, but then that's all flip phones. I've wanted a pocket pc for a long time, probably because I like gadgets, not because I need a pocket pc, but I can justify it if it's part of my phone! ( I have E200 atm, but too many bugs and losing bluetooth headset calls has left a bad taste in my mouth )

ATM there doesn't seem to be any competition to what my next phone will be.....MPX

Kevlar

Guest egghead101

I am sick to death with the SPV200 its drops calls, doesn't pick up calls, loses headset, crashes and email doesn't synchronise with all accounts at same time.....oh and battery is useless

So!!!!

Roll on MPX and roll on quickly as I am considering dumping my SPV for an old t68 until the MPX comes out...

Guest midnight

my only worry is that i cant see the MPx being cheap, even with contract, we are looking at a phone/pda combo that is more expensive than a decent laptop, and i certainly wouldnt wanna carry something so expensive around with me constantly. This is just my feelings on this of course hehe, some people carry their xda's around with em to nightclubs (but looks kinda funny when they answer a call on em)

So,guess the question should be...

Paul, any rough ideas on prices for the handsets?

No idea on the Moto handsets, but the c500 is expected to be priced 'very competitively', whatever that means ;-) The Sagem is also expected at a quite aggressive price point...

Guest yosnoor

Can you confirm whether calls can be started from the hands-free (with voice dialling, of course). I've seen the video showing the voice command software, but voice dialling is a little pointless, I think, unless you can initiate a call from the hands-free. Nobody seems to know yet.

Guest egghead101

The price of the MPX may be an issue but its that or i buy an ipaq and a standard bluetooth phone which would be the same.

I gave up my Casio e115 on the promise of the original SPV. I should, with hindsight, bought a new pda and kept my t68 or eqivalent.

So when is the MPX out, is it stable, does it synchronise multple email accounts and will the battery die after playing jawbreaker for five minutes.

Thanks for the info so far though!!!!

Guest midnight

yosnoor, i've heard you can definitely do that from the c500, but i dunno about the other phones (obviously 'if' the sagem doesnt have BT then you cant do it with that one :D)

Guest kevlar

I wouldn't have thought the mpx is going to be that expensive, most people will want one on contract, probably be something like the xda II, a quick look at onestopphoneshop shows xda II for £150 + £30/month.

Kevlar

Guest midnight

i'd be VERY shocked to see the MPx price anywhere near the XDA2 price, in fact, i'd say the mpx220 on contract will be £150 absolute minimum, so the MPx will be at least double that, of course i am only guessing, but i'd say the MPx is much more expensive to manufacture than the XDA2

Guest kevlar

I hope you are wrong mid! :D .

Do you really think the mpx220 will be that much? The E200 was free on £30 tariff when it came out. A HTC customer service person told me that the E200 costs £600, don't know where that figure came from, but obviously mobiles are heavily discounted when we get them on contract.

Kevlar

Guest abdo_imseeh

Hey guys... I think this is my first post but I've been around the site for a while. I'm an MPx200 phone holder for 6 months and I'm very happy with it. It's currently at Motorola's repair centre because the battery in the past week hasn't been holding for more then 5-7hours without any use all (no phone calls/music etc.) BTW the motorola service is great!

About the post, I did a bit of work on the size of the Motorola MPx220 compared to that of the MPx200. I used mobile-review.com image where the two phones were compared (The image is from the site, mobile-review.com and the own the rights to it). I used Adobe Photoshop CS.

It is apparant that the two phones are of the same thickness. The MPx220 is a bit taller (from the image and a bit of maths). The estimate is about 1.3-1.5cm, that's 13-15mm, taller.

I'm quite bugged about the size now. MPx220 looked to be my next phone but with the release of new smaller symbian OS smartphones I'm wondering if I should stick with MS mobiles. The MPx220 still is my favourite but until it's released I'll have to do a bit more research.

Great site btw.

Take care everyone

AJ

MPx220_vs_MPx200.jpg

Guest abdo_imseeh

It's me again.

Did a bit more work on the images from mobile-review (again copyright to the site). This time I did a bit more work on the width, and verified the difference in height. (BTW in my previous post I meant to say depth and not width).

It's apparant that the MPx220 is 3-4mm wider than the MPx200. I also verified the height, and the MPx220 is aout 13-14mm taller.

PS. I am using Motorola's size figures for the MPx200 from hereMoto's MPx200 specs to use in my calculations. I'm doing everything roughly and not precisly.

So to sum it all up, expect the MPx220 dimensions to be something similar to:

102 x 51 x 27 mm

The MPx220 is, sadly, larger than the MPx220. I was excited that the MPx220 is gonna be smaller than the new vodafone/sharp GX30 but it obviously isn't! Well in features it's bigger :D and that's good enough!

Take care everyone

AJ

MPx220_vs_MPx200_2.jpg

Guest bhablu

Hi Paul,

Thanks for all the info so far.

Are Mitac exhibiting at the TechEd and if so are they showing off any of their smartphones?

I'm interested in getting a Mio 8390 but if the Mio 8860 is not to far away I might wait....although the MPx220 looks amazing!

Cheers :D

MiTAC are nowhere to be seen...

Guest peekie

i find the mpx220 very tacky looking is that the same in the hand ? ( hope to visit myself on the weekend probably could answer that myself ) is the c500 a real + or is the future going to the ppc phone as the m1000 ? :wink: :wink: :wink:

No, the MPx220 definitely doesn't feel 'tacky' in the hand, quite the opposite, it feels very solid.

Guest Gorskar

As a game player I am very tempted to discount the C500 straight away due to that evil looking pad . (Im assume it rocks up and down for scrolling, an presses left and right for left/right - fine for webpages - not so for games!)

Have you had a chance to play with the pad Paul?

The Sagem is looking a strong favourite for me at the moment as it has

1)Joystick

2)Latest OS

3)Small

4)Camera

5)Likely to be cheap

6)Proper SD (I think)

Lack of bluetooth is a minor disapointment, but not something I really need.

The MPX220 I would very much like, even with that questionable joypad, looks very shiny :D

I probably wont get it though due to price :shock:

Yep, played with the C500, and as you say, it kinda rocks up and down, and clicks left and right.

It has a very 'deep' click action, and will take some getting used to, but it's not unpleasant...

Definitely not for games though!

Guest refnulf

It's still going to be the mpx for me. And I know I'm going to be paying around $900 plus for it. Devices like that don't come cheap here.

I did want the mpx220, but I can't justify getting them both (way too expensive) Plus I only have 1 sim :D

Guest artax

Someone asked if the mpx220 feels tacky, well IMHO both colours (comes in blackish and silver) look pretty good. Its also a lot smaller than my original SPV :D

The c500 is very small and looks pretty cool too.

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.