My-S7, MPx, MPx220 and C500 @ TechEd: Question time!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

header_new_man3.gif

I am currently at Tech Ed Europe in Amsterdam, where the Sagem My-S7, Motorola MPx, Motorola MPx220 and Orange C500 are available to see (albeit not necessarily in full release form).

I know everyone has LOADS of questions about these handsets, so if you have a question that hasn't been answered elsewhere, post it in this thread, and i'll do my best to get it answered this week!

:D

P

PS Please note, I will respond to questions in the order I find the answers, not the ordered they are posted ;-)

Guest skanna

which phone seems the best in terms of build quality, usability, stability etc Your first impressions.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I REALLY like the C500, but it's early days yet ;-)

P

Guest qwiki
Works with optional accessories including Bluetooth Car Kit, 3rd Gen Bluetooth Headset, Bluetooth Stereo Headset, Bluetooth Headset (Rip Curl), Bluetooth Headset (Hammer), Bluetooth SIHF Car Kit, Retractable Self Install Car Kit, Professional Install Car Kit, Retractable Headset, One Touch Headset, USB Data Cable, Travel Charger (Low Cost) and Vehicle Power Adapter (Gadwall), etc.
Just wondering, are any of these devices on show?

I'm particularly interested in the Bluetooth Car Kit and the Bluetooth Stereo Headset. Any info / pictures much appreciated.

Thanks.

None of these are on obvious display, and it's unlikely they are here, but I shall ask! :D

Guest Gears

I wanna know if the C500 is small enough to fit in that tiny pocket on my jeans - y'know, the one where you're supposed to put change, but you can't, 'cus it's too tiny.

Why the hell did I ask that ? That's just a waste of text. Pagh... :roll:

:roll:

Guest midnight

already asked you this Paul, but i'll post here as a reminder....

Does the Sagem My-S7 have bluetooth or not (there was no mention in the old specs list, but i'm hoping that was just a mistake)

oh, and have Moto remembered to put a backlight in the MPx220 this time (MPx200 is so dull you'd think they'd forgotten about it)? heheh :D

Definitely no BlueTooth (checked today), but does have a joystick with diagonal support :D

Guest Horizon

Hi Paul,

how thin is the mpx220 acutally?

I don't believe it's only 20 mm thin, is it?

Or is it as thick as mpx200?

It would be great if you could answer this. Thanks in advance.

Guest lutzh

hi paul,

interesting to me is:

when will which phone be available? i can't wait to replace my current phone and its manufacturer.

cheers,

There are no official statements in this regard (although I did ask on the stand), but my best sources indicate August / September time for release.

Guest midnight

horizon, i can answer that one for you, it is definitely not 20mm thick, it is also not 90mm tall either, dunno where that other website got those specs from, but in pictures you can clearly see the mpx220 is about as thick as the mpx200, and is more than 1mm taller (more like 10-15mm taller), the mpx220 is not a small clamshell :D

It's important to me whether these units will receive a voice call during an active GPRS session. My MPx200 (on T-Mobile USA) will not, and from reading other posts in this forum, I understand that is a limitation of the MPx200 itself.

I recently moved from the XDAII PocketPC to the MPx200. The XDA had no problem with receiving a call during GPRS, which confirms to me that this is a handset issue rather than a carrier issue.

Thanks!

Guest artax

personally I was very impressed with the MPX 220 (smaller than my original SPV) and as for the c500, blimey its small. Now which one would I chose when they come out, difficult one that, maybe if the c500 was made by motorola it would be an easy choice

Dave (still lugging round his drum)

Guest haso0on

hey paul

could u please ask them about the release date of the MPx100 ?

and how big is the MPx220 when its open compared to the SPV e200?

thanks

Guest chucky.egg

Slightly OT I suppose, but...

Any mention of 1Gb miniSD cards? That would do a lot to convince me of the C500's potential

how is the mpx220 in terms of feel and quality? how are the features on it such as bluetooth camera... are they fast and reliable? is it an overall stable phone and mpx200 killer? what are your thoughts on it? thanks

The MPx220 feels solid, and kinda chunky. I've only had a very quick play, but it seems quick enough in use, although as I understand it the software build is not finalised.

MPx200 killer? Absolutely. C500 killer? Time will tell ;-)

Guest mavisdavis

1. SD Card bug on all the device pls

2. 9way pad on all devices pls

3. bluetooth functions. IE..send files (pictures and ringtones ect..) without the ald of a 3rd party app.

4. A decent file explorer & SIM manager (original SPV)

1. No idea, just had a quick play with the devices.

2. Only confirmed on Sagem atm, definitely not on C500, unlikely on 220.

3. No idea.

4. C500 includes SIM Manager and File Explorer.

I agree with Kevlar.

When is the MPx coming? I really love that thing. I was gonna go for the 220 but it's even bigger than my 200 so I think I'll step up and go for the MPx.

how is the speed of the menu's and program's? how does it handle... just overall opinion.

Pigo

Release date: unknown. The speed seems excellent, and there are some quite cool 'keyboard accelerator keys' that means you don't have to touch the screen all the time. A PPC Second Edition improvement I believe...

Guest pierre

There were rumors of a release of the C 500 in July, but I asked Orange Switzerland and the shop told me end of August-September and the technical support said by e-mail "maybe in November but not planned..!"

Could Orange' guys tell you the official dates of release for each of the countries?

The only response from Orange is that it will be out in the 'summer'. I'm guessing from conversations i've had that the release date is yet to be set - this a positive thing, i'd rather the c500 was released when it was bug free and finished than earlier!

Guest morpheus2702

Does Windows Media Player now include FF and RW?

I will check today, but as I understand it, there is no WMP update in Second Edition.

Guest hardcore

Do any of the phones include a video recorder that records in MPEG4 video and AAC audio (.3GP) format? Is the video recording capability finally approaching that of the Symbian handsets?

In my opinion this is one of the MS Smartphones biggest flaws. Crappy video recorder without 3GP support and pathetic framerate.

ow I forgot one thing!

are there any pic's of the MPx next to another smartphone? I'm really interested in it's size. I'd love to see a pic comparing the MPx to the MPx200.

if those pic's are allready available.... anybody got a link?

Pigo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.