C500 Bug List

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

This is my C500 Bug List... if you are aware of a bug that is not on the list, or cannot replicate a bug, please post in this thread.

P

Problems with GAPI

Many games flicker or run incorrectly, GAPIdraw games are particularly badly affected.

Problem with URL entry in IE

When entering a URL in IE, there is a nice function which means when you delete a URL in the address box, 'http://' is left. However, it seems to buffer an extra 'back' press, so you are left with 'http:/'. What makes this more annoying is the fact that on pressing the '1' key, the '/' symbol is no longer one of the first to cycle as it was on E200.

Loud beeping when entering a symbol

When symbol input is selected by holding down the '#' key, when it has popped up, it then proceeds to beep loudly a number of times until you release the '#' key.

Per-contact tones are not picked up from the SD card

Per contact tones are not listed if they are on the SD card. In the normal 'Sounds' menu however, they DO appear. There is inconsistency here.

352 x 288 video capture is no longer available

The 352x288 video capture resolution no longer seems to be available.

Problem when selecting particular mailbox type on homescreen plugin

The new homescreen plugin offers the ability to click directly on 'unread SMS', 'unread MMS' or 'unread eMail'. However, when either of these is clicked it launches into the messaging application presenting you with the mailbox menu, rather than going to that mailbox directly.

No voicedial available from the headset

There is no way to initiate voicedial from the headset without touching the phone itself.

'Favorites' not localised correctly in PIE

Despite the fact that the UK english localisation is being used, 'Favorites' is listed in PIE instead of 'Favourites'. Those crazy Americans ;-)

ClearType disabled

ClearType is disabled by default, which is a fair choice (although I prefer it on!), I am disappointed to see however that there is no option in the GUI to turn it on.

When creating MMS and adding a video, Camera (still) is launched

When creating a new MMS, selecting 'add video' launches IA Camera, but in still picture mode, with no way to switch it to video.

Text disappears when near the right hand side of the screen

When composing a mail or an SMS, words in the content can sometimes 'disappear'. They are actually still there, but a blank space is just shown. Going back and editing them will make them appear.

Text goes under scroll bar

When working with an SMS or email which is more than 1 page in size, the right hand side of text can disappear underneath the scroll bar.

No way to record sounds for MMS

There seems to be no way to record sounds on the handset for inclusion in MMS, despite the fact this can be done for e-mail.

SMS import does not delete from SIM

When 'import messages from SIM' is used, this does not delete the messages from the SIM.

T9 engine displays words in a strange order

I've had this a couple of times, the words in the T9 dictionary are sometimes in a very odd order. Instead of a perfectly normal word, you will type the letters and end up with a random word with a number in the middle!

Caps doesn't work after full stops in PIE

When inputting text in a PIE text box, auto capitalisation after a full stop does not occur.

Disappearing SMS when restarted

If an SMS is received and the phone is restarted before the inbox is opened, the SMS disappears.

New messages soft key doesn't reset

When a new message comes in, the soft key on the right changes to 'message'. If the user sparks up the inbox app and reads the message, the soft key doesn't reset.

Phone ignores "Display Time Out"

I always leave this on "Never" so that the screen doesn't go off. It is completely ignored by the phone when Key Lock is on.

Battery Saving idea it may be, but I don't want it, I don't like it, and it isn't doing what I told it to do. So poo..

Bluetooth headset discovery

When using Bluetooth headset it happily sits there like a melon even though you're in range of your Bluetooth headset. It sometimes only shows that the call is actually being piped through the headset when you've finished dialling - so you have to rush and grab the headset if you didn't realise. This is completely the other way around when you move away from the headset - it removes the headset symbol properly when it goes out of range. The "checking" cycle on this appears to be slow, because you can be well out of range and it'll still show the headset symbol - then 30 seconds later it realises. Annoying if you get a call walking to or from the car in both instances.

Again, this may be a battery saving idea, but it means that the user is told too late about whether the phone is going to use the headset or not.

Guest dearsina
Disappearing SMS when restarted  

If an SMS is received and the phone is restarted before the inbox is opened, the SMS disappears.  

This is a problem on the e200 too. It seems like when a message is received, it isn't actually saved until you open the Inbox, which I find very very strange.

sina

london

Guest Mr Orange

We are aware that a number of games designed by mobile developers may not run correctly on the SPV C500. Orange is currently working on a software update that will enable these games to run appropriately. The games supplied on the SPV C500 and those on Orange's official on-line store are not affected by this issue.

Thanks,

Mr Orange.

Guest A.Hughes

Not even in the shops yet and already they talk of an update for the C500,,,,just cashing in on the hype they have generated.

I know this is the bug thread, but hey if this isnt the most occuring bug since the birth of the spv, then what is,,,,,immediate launch then an update!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :evil:

Guest drblow

:P Somebody somewhere is determined that DOINK noise is going to be a feature of every smartphone!!

I'm just wondering if the problem with the homescreen shortcuts only opening the message menu could be fixed with a little tweaking of the xml? I haven't seen it yet, but I have heard that it is mainly based on the e200 plugin, so the keyclick thing might still work. Maybe once we get a few of these in circulation, the good people of modaco will be able to sort out some of the minor glitches. :wink:

Guest Toyota-F1.com

This is a problem on the e200 too. It seems like when a message is received, it isn't actually saved until you open the Inbox, which I find very very strange.

sina

london

I actually have to disagree with this, I have my loved Orange SPV E200 original ROM (1.1.1.4) and the other day my bettery went flat, I was desperate to receive SMS so I switched it on (it hadn't worked for the past few hours, my batt had been flat for several hours...

... so I switched on my phone, I heard three messages come threw, then before I could hit inbox, it went flat. A day later when I managed to charge my phone, I switched it on, and there were my 3 SMS, and also I received I think 3 or 2 more, so I have them all... happy me :P

I said when I bought my phone, I'm sure I have some sort of super-phone because I encounter no problems everybody else seems to :?

Guest midnight

regarding the DOINK noise, surely everyone does realise that if you press menu then 1 to insert a contact then it doesnt make this noise? never did understand why people said this was a bugn :P

(i await the backlash from people saying it is a bug and i should just shut the hell up :D)

Guest midnight

hehe, well someone had to :D

anyways, wasnt the actual original bug not the fact it made a noise but that it didnt obey profiles, even when silent? it should be attached to system sounds, so if you set system sound volume to 0/none then it should be silent again :P (it was fixed in 2k3, so i cant see it being broke again in 2k3SE)

Guest Croccy22

When composing a mail or an SMS, words in the content can sometimes 'disappear'. They are actually still there, but a blank space is just shown. Going back and editing them will make them appear.

This happens to me on my E200 now ever since the new update. Don't you just love it when Orange 'Fix' Things. Maybe they should get us to do their updates in future? Either that or highly trained super monkeys. Hmmmmm

Matt

This happens to me on my E200 now ever since the new update. Don't you just love it when Orange 'Fix' Things. Maybe they should get us to do their updates in future? Either that or highly trained super monkeys. Hmmmmm

Matt

This used to happen to me on the original SPV too.

Guest lowbug

So why can Orange trial a 3G datacard but not bother on their flagship business phone...???

I'm not surprised... :roll: This happens everytime, the games bug is just crazy this was never tested, i mean who really tests the phone? Stevie wonder? :wink:

note to Orange. Send a select few people like Paul MVP the phone a month or two BEFORE it is released to Beta it, this will save hassle for your support desk as people upgrade thier phones to the correct firmware version are bound to have problems...

:P

Guest Paul [MVP]

FWIW Mr Orange...

Orange's official online store, powered by Handango, lists a good number of games that DON'T work on the C500.

In addition, a number of others also on sale (such as Done in 50 Seconds) freeze at random.

So, the C500 wasn't tested against the Orange software store, and the fact something is in the 'Orange software store' is irrelevant...

P

We are aware that a number of games designed by mobile developers may not run correctly on the SPV C500. Orange is currently working on a software update that will enable these games to run appropriately. The games supplied on the SPV C500 and those on Orange's official on-line store are not affected by this issue.  

Thanks,

Mr Orange.

Guest shadamehr

Nice one Paul - well done - NOT!

Didn't anyone ever tell you the last thing to do is to be proved RIGHT - that only makes the person in the wrong run a million miles.

Now we'll NEVER see Mr O posting back on here, now that you have proved Orange to bVERY wrong over this...

;-)

Guest mcwarre
So why can Orange trial a 3G datacard but not bother on their flagship business phone...???

3G = serious revenue. C500 doesn't!

Mr O,

Thanks very much for your reply, I am afraid that it sums O up. Insufficient customer attention, then when a valid point is noted, ill informed, and quite frankly, *wrong*, advice. Sure you don't work as a Customer Services Advisor on 150???? :P :D

Guest zeta101

if i remember from one of the screen shots in pauls review there is an option to turn off the function of the light sensor...so even if it causes bugs, you can always disable it.