media player on c500 has "tss" sound every 10 secs

Guest joelb69

someone in this thread asked if the t-Mobile "SDA music" (aka "HTC amadeus")has the same problem. The SDA music is expicit promoted as a mp3-player-mobile. I changed my malicous SDA (HTC sonata) to as SDA music this week, Now i can say, it hast this bug too!!!

best regards Bazzo

edit:

for all who dont hear the hiss, try with that File(rightclick->save as...). its a legal bad quality download from http://www.progarchives.com. try that file on your pc too where the hiss just disappears. EVERYBODY sould hear the bug in this file, its even through the build-in speaker audible!!!

Edited by bazzo

Guest pharma79

bazzo i cant believe what you just said :shock: .If the sda "music" has the bug too then this gets much more interesting . Maybe we C500/sp3 buyers tolerate this but certainly its not acceptable for a device promoted as music player.

Anyway i was chatting with online support of club imate and he confirmed that developers are aware of this (they certainly have been for a loong time :roll: ) and he said they are working on this . But i feel a sound inside that its not true :lol:

If HTC is to repair the bug then they have to release a patch for any single brand of this phone aka . SP3 / SP3i / C500 / qtek 8010 / audiovox / sda .....

Then maybe it will make a bad reputation for them , so they may decide to do what yet did : ignore it.

Again , can someone of you folks that got the non-tissi MP3 file from service center Share it with us ??

Edited by pharma79

Guest mismith356

Not sure this will be of any use whatsoever, but my SMT5600 from ATT here in the US has this tsss sound issue.

It does not seem present when I playback via internal phone speaker.

I tested with the dual ear buds shipped with phone. Using Beta Player .5 and an episode og SG1...sure enough...it's pretty faint, but definatley there every 10-15 seconds.

I have 30 days to returned the phone thru my corporate cell plan, but I doubt I will swap it cause I am not a big ear-bud user, and the phones other strengths outway this minor problem...(this is just my personal opinion...not suggesting anyone else live with a lesser product than they expected).

Anyhow...if I can provide more info on my firmware or whatever...

Guest omihemps
hi

orange have got back to me twice and on both occasion have repeated the same instruction to me,  they keep telling me to hard reset and re install ROM.  i keep telling em that i've done it but i dont think they understand.    The second time they rang me they told me to download one of their mp3's from "http://ncs."  thats all the guy gave and said it should work.  i was thinking this guy is an ideot.      i just gave up and told him to pass the address of this thread to the dumb technical people so they understand  how big the problem really is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://ncs is an internal web address for Network Customer Support, and there are no mp3s on there...

I've made a note of the details. Will keep you posted.

Omi

Hi,

i've made several tests upon the HTC-Soundbug, i've analyzed the hiss and got some interesting results.

for now its only in german, i hope i'll find the time to translate it to english next week. but give the google.com-translation a try;)

8) bazzo

Edited by bazzo

Guest Dean123

I have this problem like everyone else on mp3/wma etc, but having tried some .mods with smartamp, i don't hear it, perhaps it's the nature of the music that covers it up, but you never know.

Guest Drewtech

I have had my C500 for about a month or so and don't seem to have this problem. I have tried a variety of tracks with a range of different music styles and I don't get the problem. All my tracks are WMA and 128 kbps. I realise this doesn't help anyone who has the problem but I thought I should add it to the mix.

Guest james.miller

Hi guys. First post:)

I recently got my C500 and i have noticed the problem...but only after reading about it here lol. It sems from reading th thread that some people are getting it much worse than others which doesnt make any sence.

For me, its definately NOT a decoding issue. The TSS happens at regular intervals, but it doesnt happen in the same place in a song more than once. Also, on my phone it is very quiet and only happens thru the left channel. There is nothing on the right channel at all.

As i said i can only hear it on quiet passages. With anything else its totally inaudiable:)

Guest mike_freegan

I can't say I noticed this problem. In fact the only good thing I have to say about this phone is that it has good quality playback in that pocketmusic allows graphic equalizer.

Is the "tss" noticable all the time or only in silent patches. I listen to loud music with lots of drums and distortion so maybe thats why I haven't noticed.

My C500 is brand new so perhaps they fixed it on newer models :S

Guest celica1.8st

Well I recently purchased 2 c500's and hadn't noticed any hissing.

I haven't tested the 2nd phone as my wife uses that one, but I just did a few tests on my phone.

I can hear the tsss, but only if I have the earpeice volume on full, or 2nd to full - any other volume is fine.

If I play the Windows Media Example Video thing that came with the phone, then the tsss appears in both earpeices at the same time, if I play a wma encoded with microsoft media encoder 9 at 64kbits then I only seem to hear the tsss in the left earpeice - I have just listened to 3 wma's over and over with a combination of left earpeice only, right ear peice only, both ear peices and left/right swap over.

The tsss only appears in the earpeice marked L (the short one from the volume control) but in the wmv it appears in both.

Another thing I noticed was that I couldn't hear it at all in one of the files - I know what I'm listening for but it never seems to happen - it could be the type of music I suppose. The song was Rooster - You're so right for me if anyone else wants to try that song!!

I am mildly interested in this and will probably do a few proper tests myself to compare with the german article - I guess it also helps that I have 2 of them to test.

I recently bought an SPV C500 as had heard great things about it... It seemed like it had solved all the little problems that came with the original SPV and offered so much more... But even though there is little on the market which matches the C500 value wise, this hiss is starting to drive me mad!

Before i do anything stupid with the phone i need some advise! Would it be possible to install the operating system from the original SPV - Smartphone 2002? If possible, it would allow us to see whether this hiss was software or hardware based as no one really seems to know.

It's just a thought...

• 2 months later...
Guest Seraphic
bump

this is still the single most annoying problem with the phone and still no solution!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you'll find the sodding dust issue is the biggest single annoying problem with the phone!!

Guest cold_fire
Use wma format.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't work the "tsss" noise appears in every video or audio file and is most probably due to a hardware problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest outofthisworld

Hello everybody well game over!

Yes the game is over!

It was not a software related issue, i just upgraded to the latest rom here in available at orange france which offer windows media player 10, and the tsss sound was still there!

So can only be a hardware problem, this typhoon phone is crap!

It doesn't work the "tsss" noise appears in every video or audio file and is most probably due to a hardware problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest flywest
Hello everybody well game over!

Yes the game is over!

It was not a software related issue, i just upgraded to the latest rom here in available at orange france which offer windows media player 10, and the tsss sound was still there!

So can only be a hardware problem, this typhoon phone is crap!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there anyone who doesnt have this problem??? Speak UP!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cold_fire
im completely new to this so please bare with me, my media player on my c500 seems to make a slight tinny hissing noise that lasts a fraction of a second about every 13 secs, i didnt notice it when i first had it but its really annoying me now whenever i want to listen to an mp3. should i just reset the device and hope for the best?

well it looks like resetting the device doesnt work, and i doubt its the headphones. This is a real shame because i bought this phone for its mp3 playback and once youve noticed the noise it kinda ruins the music. I suppose the Q is: Is it happening on EVERY C500 and other ppl just cant hear it (yet) or is it just a few dodgy handsets. looks like a memory upgrade, a new pair of decent headphones and a jack converter will have to wait untill this is sorted out! :x  ](*,)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is abug known ,MoDaCo member Bazzo analized the noise and found out it is heared every ~ 17 sec. not necesarly starting from second 0 ,it is there no metter the file (audio or video) or player .It has been tested and the cause is not soft but probably hard.

Guest abit late

I have been folloiwing both of the threads about this with interest but have never heard this sound bug. Although I haven't had my ears tested, I am pretty sure that I can hear a wider than average dynamic range. I listen to all types of music on my C500's 1gb miniSD card, mostly at encoded with Lame at 320kb/s, sometimes with my Shure E5C earbuds. The E5C's are insanely sensitive and way too revealing for the C500 so they would pick up a tss noise if it were there.

hth

al

Guest moosery
I have been folloiwing both of the threads about this with interest but have never heard this sound bug. Although I haven't had my ears tested, I am pretty sure that I can hear a wider than average dynamic range. I listen to all types of music on my C500's 1gb miniSD card, mostly at encoded with Lame at 320kb/s, sometimes with my Shure E5C earbuds.  The E5C's are insanely sensitive and way too revealing for the C500 so they would pick up a tss noise if it were there.

hth

al

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We (the royal we!) concluded that not everyone gets it at a noticable level in music. I think most people concur that it exists on a blank sound file (the sample wavs).

I do not hear it in music either, and again, I'm not exactly using crap headphones. Have also plugged it into my Class AB audio amplifier and self built "better than any I've heard" folded transmission line speakers (with TWO types of tweeter per speaker) and still no noise.

Have used it a lot in my blaupunkt car system via aux in and again, no noticed audible tsst during music or silence between music.

Beat that!

(p.s. the faults in the camera far outweigh the ones in the sound, but why are people willing to accept a poor balanced vignetting cmos cam? Not that I have a prob with it, just...an observation)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wastedyuthe

I have this problem, and only noticed it when I played the Coldplay album (a lot of quieter moments)- now that the C550 is due (next month) does anyone know if we will get the same problem with that?

Are there any other smartphones as good as this one but without this problem?