media player on c500 has "tss" sound every 10 secs

Guest joelb69

im completely new to this so please bare with me, my media player on my c500 seems to make a slight tinny hissing noise that lasts a fraction of a second about every 13 secs, i didnt notice it when i first had it but its really annoying me now whenever i want to listen to an mp3. should i just reset the device and hope for the best?

well it looks like resetting the device doesnt work, and i doubt its the headphones. This is a real shame because i bought this phone for its mp3 playback and once youve noticed the noise it kinda ruins the music. I suppose the Q is: Is it happening on EVERY C500 and other ppl just cant hear it (yet) or is it just a few dodgy handsets. looks like a memory upgrade, a new pair of decent headphones and a jack converter will have to wait untill this is sorted out! :x ](*,)

Guest Exploited

I didn't notice them at first, don't have a memory-card yet so I didn't really play much music on it so far, but I've been testing and listening for it and, yes...the tssk is clearly there every 13-14 seconds...and I'm playing WMA's!!!

THe questions are: Do all SPV C500's have this bug? Is it truly file-format independent? Is it just Media Player or are all applications affected? Will it be resolved in the expected (and highly anticipated) software-update?

Had my c500 a week and play MP3's fine no abnormal noises and touch wood no dust under screen cover and phone spends time in my pocket. I'm playing MP3's from a 256MB mini SD card and plan to get a 1GB as soon as they are out. I have ordered a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor enabling me to use standard headphones. I am toying with the idea of buying an FM transmitter to play MP3's through any FM radio, then I can sell my Ipod because my c500 can take it's place. :)

The phone is great but the handsfree is absolutely crap or I have strange lugs because the ear pieces keep falling out.

Guest midnight

hmm, i play wma's and cant say as ive ever noticed this sound, maybe its related to compression? i generally use pretty lowish quality.. like 64bit

red1mp, the ear pieces have been the same since the original spv, i think asian people must have smaller ears so they fit better :)

Guest Exploited

I've just tried MP3's playing on PocketMusic and there is the same slight 'tsss' every 10-15 seconds - playing completely different MP3's. It might be related to the standard 16MB-card or is might be related to the standard headphones, but the 'tsss' is definitely there. Not as prominent as with my WMA's this afternoon, but still...

It seems the problem is very much application independent as it is compression or processor-load independent. To the distinctive ear the problem is just there.

Guest dshaugney

I have the same problem in all the programs i tried in both mp3 and wma formats with different bitrates. It looks to me like a bug in the OS...the way it handles decompression. Or perhaps it's the miniSD card that is at fault. I'm using the sandisk 256mb i bought from modaco shop.

I've never even tried mp3 on the C500 yet, I either use high bit rate wma in media player (around 300kbs) or ogg in ogm videos in betaplayer. Never had any trouble running off a 512MB ATP miniSD card. If your running other apps in the background maybe this could be the problem? Also do you have a constant connection to a bluetooth headset?

Guest Exploited
I've never even tried mp3 on the C500 yet, I either use high bit rate wma in media player (around 300kbs) or ogg in ogm videos in betaplayer. Never had any trouble running off a 512MB ATP miniSD card. If your running other apps in the background maybe this could be the problem? Also do you have a constant connection to a bluetooth headset?

I'm playing both WMA and MP3 audio-files of bitrates between 48kbps and 320kbps using the standard headset that comes with the SPV C500. Running the files both of the internal memory and the 16MB standard miniSD-card. Using both Media Player and Pocket Music (the latter obviously only for the MP3-files as it doesn't recognize WMA).

The 'tssss' is the only contstant, unfortunately. It is audible on ALL audio-files at exactly the same interval on all formats and bitrates.

If it is a software bug it HAS to be addressed in the next update. If its a hardware-bug, we're looking at a recall.

Let's hope it is a software bug. :)

I'm playing both WMA and MP3 audio-files of bitrates between 48kbps and 320kbps using the standard headset that comes with the SPV C500. Running the files both of the internal memory and the 16MB standard miniSD-card. Using both Media Player and Pocket Music (the latter obviously only for the MP3-files as it doesn't recognize WMA).

The 'tssss' is the only contstant, unfortunately. It is audible on ALL audio-files at exactly the same interval on all formats and bitrates.

If it is a software bug it HAS to be addressed in the next update. If its a hardware-bug, we're looking at a recall.

Let's hope it is a software bug. :lol:

Does anybody know if there are different revs of the C500 as touch wood in the 2 weeks I have owned the phone I don't seem to have the tsss problem, dust behind the screen or all the reported bugs :)

Guest fenderbomb

I am not sure if there are 2 versions as I was sad enough to wait outside Orange to pick mine up on the day of release and I don't seem to suffer the TSS bug. Thats with the standard head phones and MP3's of all types of bitrates.

I haven't loaded anyother software on it and am using a Kingmax card.

Theres bound to be a common dominator here somewhere.

For those people that claim not to have to noise problem... are you sure?

Listen again, this time with maybe a more mellow song. It can be heard once every 10 - 14 seconds and is irrating as hell!

If you can't hear it, get a mate to try and listen as you may either be deaf or just pissed. :)

Has anyone who has the problem complained to Orange yet? Any recognition of the problem?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest midnight

thats correct, i'm deaf.... no, seriously, that sound bug aint there on my phone, with mp3, wma, m4a, midi, wav, std headphones, or other headphones, on the phone, or on the 256mb Sandisk Mini SD Card, it just aint there. And as mentioned, i also dont have the dust problem, or indeed many of the other problems some people seem to have (such as music not playing from the file manager, which mine does, every time)

I also have never heard the TSS bug. It couldn't have appeared during your coding of the files possibly? Have you tried the same files elsewhere?

And Midnight - don't speak too soon. I didn't have any dust either, until last week when I was doing some farily hardcore dust angering and lo and behold I now have dust isolated in the 2 corners where the buttons are. My advice is don't do the dusting with your phone anywhere near you - mine was in my pocket.

Guest Exploited
I also have never heard the TSS bug. It couldn't have appeared during your coding of the files possibly? Have you tried the same files elsewhere?

I'm using both files I've had for ages and newly encoded files that I have, since, played on my computer as well. The files are undamaged. The "tss" is part of the phone.

I guess I'll have to mail Orange about it. :)

I have never noticed any "tss" since I've had my phone and this includes all audio files and all players. I've created .mp3 & .ogg files with Audiograbber and have also downloaded audio files from itunes and neither seem to have a problem :)

Has anybody tried testing it with flight mode on ?

I never noticed this problem before this thread. After reading about the TSS problem I tried to listen if I could notice it. At first I didn't, or perhaps it wasn't there first - I don't know.

Anyways I just found out about it playing an encoded file .avi in Betaplayer. It's definately there and it's definately irritating once you start to notice it. I haven't heard the hiss on the speakerphone yet, but it's there on the headset. It's a little less if I turn the volumethingie on my headset down a bit. I can barely hear it playing MP3's in mediaplayer but the fact that it's there is annoying. Very.

Ive had my phone for a couple of weeks now. Black. I live in Holland. No dust (yet).

The slight hiss noise is definitely there and if you listen carefully enough, you should be able to hear it.

If you haven't heard it yet, please do not try, cuz once you do it will irritate you to on end. :)

I have a hard time believing that this isn't affecting everyone and that some people just have a 'bad batch' of phones. Heck, We're not talking about friggin muffins here! There are phones made identically with identical components! :/

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest sparkisgti

nope sorry still no tss ..

using my sony headphones.. the really good in ear ones..

and playing the tune "Heaven (Piano Acapella Mix)" which is very mellow

but ive got loads of mellow stuff on mine and nothing

gotta be specific phones doing it or dodgy hearing IMO :wink: