Which rom?

Guest J273

Guest spvdk

...or maybe just reinstall the original ROM. If you don't feel comfortable doing hacks involving fiddling with the ROM in a hex editor, you could end up in trouble... ;)

Guest J273

mmm ,ive tried everything now still dont work,ive copied and pasted the first 41500 and ive tried 41600 but no storage folder,but if i dont put an sd in and install an app and choose not to install to main memory it shows up under settings that ive used memory in the storage if you get what i mean.

Ive noticed though that the modified rom i make is on 64,281kb and the old rom i backe up is 247,040kb is this correct and sound rite,as when i go to copy the new rom over it comes up with the parameter is incorrect but when i write the old rom it comes up with no error ,do you think im doing somthing wrong or not?

Thanks

Guest namiran

maybe its just me, but i feel my battery time is noticable wors with th anansky rom and browsing around tabs in spb pocket plus is slower...but now i can play flux challange while having agile messenger on and connected and listen to mp3...thats cool ;)

Guest jfran
mmm ,ive tried everything now still dont work,ive copied and pasted the first 41500 and ive tried 41600 but no storage folder,but if i dont put an sd in and install an app and choose not to install to main memory it shows up under settings that ive used memory in the storage if you get what i mean.

Ive noticed though that the modified rom i make is on 64,281kb and the old rom i backe up is 247,040kb is this correct and sound rite,as when i go to copy the new rom over it comes up with the parameter is incorrect but when i write the old rom it comes up with no error ,do you think im doing somthing wrong or not?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes it sounds about right and lots of errors do pop up, however the process has been successful

rgds

jim

Guest jfran
maybe its just me, but i feel my battery time is noticable wors with th anansky rom and browsing around tabs in spb pocket plus is slower...but now i can play flux challange while having agile messenger on and connected and listen to mp3...thats cool ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

alwasy let the battery run down then do a full recharge

rgds

jim

Guest spvdk

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. You are NOT supposed to copy 41600 bytes, only 416! It seems to me that you are lucky your Magician is able to boot at all!

2. The size of your old ROM is the same size as the SD card you backed it up onto. This doesn't matter.

I really must warn everyone to make absolutely sure they know what they are doing, before tampering with the ROM! Only a single wrong bit and you can make your Magician unstable, or worse! You wouldn't try to rebuild the engine of your car just on basis of a few pictures you had seen either, would you?

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, your lucky it boots!! Even if it didn't, you'd probably be able to still access the bootloader and reload your old ROM. You need to read the instructions carefully. You obviously didn't, and that explains your missing storage folder.

Guest J273

i dont know what you mean you cant copy just 416 :?: ive followed the image posted on xda developers which show selecting 41600 ,Is there any chance yud be able to post a screen shot of what to select,as that would be great :?:

Guest J273

This is what ove been selecting is this 416 or 41600 never done this before:

I know it shows 41500 in the pc but ive tried both

post-3541-1115129400_thumb.jpg

Guest spvdk

Not.

You are using a hex editor, thus the numbers on the screen are in hex. This means that you count 16 numbers to get from 1 to 11, not ten. You are copying way too much data. 1A0 bytes would be the correct number using hex...

Oh, and make sure you paste the copied data ON TOP of the original data, not IN FRONT of. The file shouldn't be any longer or shorter when you save it, than it was when you opened it...

Maybe it would be easier if you read the thread by the creator of this patch, posted at http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=20043 (can I poste this link here, mods? Otherwise feel free to delete it)

Edited by spvdk

Guest jfran

Yes you shold have been using 416 bytes and not the hex, so as suggested use the recommended hex editor, alternatively if you wanted to use your existing hex editior there must be a way of calculating the amount of bytes / data selected.

rgds

Jim

Edited by jfran

Guest J273
http://forum.xda-developers.com/files/1_118.jpg

If you use the editor advised, you will see that when you select the hex, an indicator in the bottom (circled in red in pic) shows how many bytes you have selected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahhhhhh get ya now i didant realise that,i thought it was what was down the left hand side (never done any hex editing before),I read the pages over and over again at xdadevelopers and still couldetn figure it out,Ill have another go ,i hope i dont kill it,Thanks alot guys for the info jfran,MitchellO,spvdk

Guest J273
ahhhhhh get ya now i didant realise that,i thought it was what was down the left hand side (never done any hex editing before),I read the pages over and over again at xdadevelopers and still couldetn figure it out,Ill have another go ,i hope i dont kill it,Thanks alot guys for the info jfran,MitchellO,spvdk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOOHOO works now thanks again guys ;) ;) :P ;) :D :D :D

Guest jfran
Interested to know as ive upgraded my jam to the 1.06 (i think) and have heard 1.11 is available from qtec would u say its worth upgrading my jams to this rom or wait for imates release :?:

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

glad all is well, as long as you dont have any BT issues, then just stick to what you have got.

rgds

Jim

• 3 months later...
Yes, it's the 28MB /Storage version :)

I had to give it 3 tries before it worked. Took maybe an hour or so. On the first two tries I couldn't get Windows to boot, but I just kept trying.

Trying for the third time, I applied some empty characters at the end of the file, as suggested by anansky, and then it worked.

Overall I would say it could have been easier, but it wasn't too bad. Would do it again, if I had to.

I used a 512 MB Toshiba SD card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi SPVDK

I assume the Toshiba SD card works OK with an M500 - does anyone know if the 1Gb Toshiba SD is OK ??

(Just seen them really cheap on eBay - I know they're from Hong Kong (or somewhere like that), but 23.50 inc postage, it may be worth the risk...)

Cheers,

PaulF