Which rom?

Guest J273

Interested to know as ive upgraded my jam to the 1.06 (i think) and have heard 1.11 is available from qtec would u say its worth upgrading my jams to this rom or wait for imates release :?:

Thanks

Guest spvdk

Yes, it's the 28MB /Storage version ;)

I had to give it 3 tries before it worked. Took maybe an hour or so. On the first two tries I couldn't get Windows to boot, but I just kept trying.

Trying for the third time, I applied some empty characters at the end of the file, as suggested by anansky, and then it worked.

Overall I would say it could have been easier, but it wasn't too bad. Would do it again, if I had to.

I used a 512 MB Toshiba SD card.

Edited by spvdk

Guest MitchellO
Yes, it's the 28MB /Storage version ;)

I had to give it 3 tries before it worked. Took maybe an hour or so. On the first two tries I couldn't get Windows to boot, but I just kept trying.

Trying for the third time, I applied some empty characters at the end of the file, as suggested by anansky, and then it worked.

Overall I would say it could have been easier, but it wasn't too bad. Would do it again, if I had to.

I used a 512 MB Toshiba SD card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you did the first step, where you backed up the ROM, did it cause a hard reset? I know the second step will.

Guest MitchellO

I am going down to the shop today to get a 128Mb MMC for this. Don't want to mess around with my good cards, or have a 1Gb file for the rom update! Still not sure if I want to do it though. ;)

Guest adey_london

Do it! The main this is to ensure you edit the ROM carefully - It was quite fiddly.

I now have the modified 1.11 ROM with 27Mb storage, and have also applied the 1.11 radio patch.

All seems to be running fine!

I dont know whether to do this or not ,Im running a super jam with the 128 meg internal,Do you think its worth doing for me or not?

I might just install the latest gtek 1.11 ,as ive heard its very stable and no BT problems,Do you think its worth me doing this?

Imate have released a BT patch today (i think) which is meant to reslove the bt problems with 1.06 rom.As anyone got a change log as to whats differnt with that rom as im unsure on whether to just install the imates patch or actuall install qteks new 1.11 rom,What would u guys do either:

Install the qtek 1.11 modified storage

Patch my 1.06 with imates BT patch

Or install the standard 1.11 rom with the storage hack

Thanks

Edited by J273

Guest spvdk

Even though I never had any RAM problems with my standard 64MB Magician, I did the Storage hack thing. Besides, you don't gain RAM space, you gain Storage space. Not quite the same...

It's very hard to tell other users what to do. All I can say is that right now I am running the Storage hack ROM with no problems whatsoever, and this seems to be the best solution for me.

Guest jfran

I have renamed my MDA Compact to the MDA JAM, its got the anasky 1.11 rom with with phone pad and all the other modifications that are present in the extended rom of the imate

rgds

jim

Guest £50 Scent

Hi, I have been following this forum for a while and studying the posts.

Please forgive my ignorance but where can i get hold of the anansky 1.11 rom, 1.11 radio patch and the storage patch?

I had a look on xda developers but their ftp seems to have been 'influenced' :roll: and the files are now unavailable.

also @mitchello, i read your thread on xdadev about insufficient space on rom; are you overwriting the first 416 bytes or inserting, you should be writing over the first 416 bytes of the rom to maintain the original size, i'd check file sizes b4 and after.

hope someone can help, thanks.

EDIT: re: the info on anansky rom etc. please PM me (just read 'illegal content' sticky).

Edited by £50 Scent

Guest MitchellO
also @mitchello, i read your thread on xdadev about insufficient space on rom; are you overwriting the first 416 bytes or inserting, you should be writing over the first 416 bytes of the rom to maintain the original size, i'd check file sizes b4 and after.

hope someone can help, thanks.

Yeah, the filesize is always different. I am PMing someone who has been successful with the upgrade on their Mini with the same original ROM version. Thanks for your help, it was his suggestion too, but they still don't line up. ;)

Will keep trying!!

Guest jfran

mitchello you need to overwrite the data... copy the first 416 bytes from your existing rom to maintain the headers then paste this on to the anasky rom. it can be tricky however if you select from the 416th byte back to the beginning then paste you should accomplish the trick.

The Mda's ROM was over 216Mb, and the anasky 65Mb wot a difference, however I have no complaints at present ;)

rgds

Jim

Guest MitchellO

the original rom will be so big because of the card you used. I assume you used a 256Mb? I used a 1Gb and my old rom is 999mb!!

Will give another hex editor a try.

Guest jfran
the original rom will be so big because of the card you used. I assume you used a 256Mb? I used a 1Gb and my old rom is 999mb!!

Will give another hex editor a try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes that is correct, I used a 256 card. The best editor out there is ultraedit.

rgds

jim

Guest J273

Woohoo just upgraded my 128meg super jam with anansky modded rom (no extended)and i now have

56.30 Free Program memory

56.45 storage memory

Woohoo

now i just gotta reinstall everything.

Ive heard though that since doing this upgrade other users have noticed a slowdown is this true or not,as i dont want to slow it down ;)

Thanks

Guest spvdk

Even though I hate you for having so much RAM ;) , I'm happy to tell you that my Anansky ROM has shown no negative side effects whatsoever. Looks to me like he did a great job.

Btw. I don't think the numbers you quote will change due to this ROM. Only the /Storage drive will change...

Edited by spvdk

Guest J273
Even though I hate you for having so much RAM ;) , I'm happy to tell you that my Anansky ROM has shown no negative side effects whatsoever. Looks to me like he did a great job.

Btw. I don't think the numbers you quote will change due to this ROM. Only the /Storage drive will change...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive just realised i havent even got a storage folder anymore is this rite and how its meant to be or not?

When i go to install an app there is no option to install to storage only sd and main memory is this how its meant to be and how it is on yours :?:

Thanks

Guest J273

^^^^^

Anyone know as i really need to find this out before i reinstall everything.

When u upgrade to ananskys modded rom with the removed extended rom is there still a storage folder or not,as ive done several hard resets but there still isant a storage folder and no option when installing apps to install to storage,Is this meant to be like this ? If so how do u actually install anything to storage.

Or do u think it could of been a bad flash missing the storage :cry:

Any ideas

Guest jfran

Ideally you should have 27MB there about storage size on the machine and no extended ROM. If you cant see the storage folder then something is wrong as it should be visible. My advise would be to try the process again if you are gamed.

rgds

Jim