Java Games Install Help!

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer
Once you install the Abyss Webserver (Which I DON'T recommend doing on a work machine) you will be able to enter the setup for the webserver. Find MIME-types (under server configuration) and simply add the two I mentioned.

The problem is that a lot of the JavaGames I have are commercial, so sharing would be illegal.

You will need a network setup for your phone to connect to the computer through ActiveSync Internet Passthrough...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right ok, so a stand alone machine without an internet connection would not do it??

Also... how do you find out your computers IP address out of interest???

EDIT : WHAT DID HE SAY ? PLEASE READ FORUM RULES

Edited by Disco Stu

Guest dchester
I downloaded a .jad file through Jeodeck (the games & apps icon in the start menu) from MIDLET.ORG and it seemed to go through and actually install the midlet...  until I looked at the menu and still only saw BILLIARDS & STEPPING STONES!!!

What is with this JAVA thing man!! 

Somebody please please please help me sort this out!!!

A simple way of either installing the .jar file through another JAVA MIDLET MANAGER or through internet passthrough to files on my computer?

Can you view the computers hard drive through internet explorer on the MPx220 like you can on normal IE on a PC... like if you type c: it will go to your c:\drive??

Nik man, where are ya!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zim a couple things please. First, Try downloading the JAD file again, but please do it from IE, and NOT from Jeodek. It will work, I've done it before. IE will launch Jeodek when it needs to. You have refered to this MPx220 FAQ entry on Java before, but you've never actually done exactly what it said (based upon what you've posted). Once again, Just start from IE, goto the site, and download the JAD file.

PS: if it occasioanlly fails, just try it again.

Second, from some of your posts I'm not sure if you understood what Internet passthrough actually is. It's just a technique to connect your phone to the internet, using your PC's internet connection, to avoid paying GPRS charges (it's also faster than GPRS, but you have to be connected to your PC to do it). It is NOT required to use internet passthrough to setup a Java Program, it's just that some people find it helpful.

Here is the FAQ entry for Internet Passthrough:

http://webpages.charter.net/dchester/MPx220/FAQ.htm#passthru

I hope this helps.

Guest zim_zimmer

I thought I'd cracked it for a moment!!

I managed to download the program Nik said about (Abyss webserver) and installed it and set up/configured it as to how Nik had described. Went into IE on my MPx220 and typed in the name of the virtual folder (alias) I had created to get to my JAVA Games.

As Nik said... I had a listing of the games, superbb I thought!! So I clicked on one of the .jad files and it come up with the penguin saying installation starting... Woo Hoo... then it said Installation complete... even better... and asked me whether I wanted to run the Midlet? By now obviously I thought I'd cracked it but it didn't seem to be that way as it just returned to the JEODECK screen with poxy BILLIARDS & STEPPING STONES!!!

Right, try another one I thought to myself... same problem. Ok maybe another.... same again, and again.... and again!!!

What in the name of the sweet lord is going on here!! I've set everything up as described. The phone says its installed the JAVA file, but it just DOES NOT show on the JEODECK midlet manager!!!

Please help, I'm going crazy!!!

Guest zim_zimmer

I have noticed by the way that I have about 5/6 more 's' files in the \storage\windows\appdb directory which are obviously the Java files so they must have installed ok right??

Guest zim_zimmer
Hmmmm.... you're doing everything right. BUT you should get the new Java-program in the list. That's how it works for me!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope!!! This is driving me up the wall now!! Whats different about my settings to yours do you reckon??

Can you let me know your JAVA settings on your phone so I can see if anythings different?

Guest Frizzante
Nope!!!  This is driving me up the wall now!!  Whats different about my settings to yours do you reckon??

Can you let me know your JAVA settings on your phone so I can see if anythings different?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there,

I also did everything as described above and it it DID acutally work out perfectly. I got about 12 games using internet pass-through.

Nevertheless, today I wanted to download a .jad file. after the phone said.. installing midlet... inallation complete... Error 433 [OK] [Cancel] I didn't give much to this, since error 433 occurred everytime before without causing problems.

this time, the programm said starting... and then there were only billards and skipping stone...

There are some other apps installed, as I see unter windows/apps, but they don't show up.

an, interesting, the selector.uft ist rather short (14b, surely missing quite a bit) and shows the time & date I uploaded unsusccessfully the last abb (2005-05-05 20:14).

Even when I try to install another app, it does not show up after a correct installation, and it seems the selector.utf keeps unchanged (same timestamp).

Any ideas - I want my games back or at least install new ones! ;)

Guest zim_zimmer
Hi there,

I also did everything as described above and it it DID acutally work out perfectly. I got about 12 games using internet pass-through.

Nevertheless, today I wanted to download a .jad file. after the phone said.. installing midlet... inallation complete... Error 433 [OK] [Cancel] I didn't give much to this, since error 433 occurred everytime before without causing problems.

this time, the programm said starting... and then there were only billards and skipping stone...

There are some other apps installed, as I see unter windows/apps, but they don't show up.

an, interesting, the selector.uft ist rather short (14b, surely missing quite a bit) and shows the time & date I uploaded unsusccessfully the last abb (2005-05-05 20:14).

Even when I try to install another app, it does not show up after a correct installation, and it seems the selector.utf keeps unchanged (same timestamp).

Any ideas - I want my games back or at least install new ones! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please help us!

• 1 month later...
Guest DethStryke
I thought I'd cracked it for a moment!! 

I managed to download the program Nik said about (Abyss webserver) and installed it and set up/configured it as to how Nik had described.  Went into IE on my MPx220 and typed in the name of the virtual folder (alias) I had created to get to my JAVA Games. 

As Nik said...  I had a listing of the games, superbb I thought!!  So I clicked on one of the .jad files and it come up with the penguin saying installation starting...  Woo Hoo...  then it said Installation complete... even better...  and asked me whether I wanted to run the Midlet?  By now obviously I thought I'd cracked it but it didn't seem to be that way as it just returned to the JEODECK screen with poxy BILLIARDS & STEPPING STONES!!! 

Right, try another one I thought to myself... same problem.  Ok maybe another.... same again, and again.... and again!!!

What in the name of the sweet lord is going on here!!  I've set everything up as described.  The phone says its installed the JAVA file, but it just DOES NOT show on the JEODECK midlet manager!!!

Please help, I'm going crazy!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same problem.

Everything seems to go fine, but the games won't show in the java-player.

1) Set my connection to Internet pass through

2) I downloaded a .JAD-file, using my PIE. (not using local webserver, but file from the internet)

3) My phone gives me a warning (supplier, size, website etc.), before installing the MIDlet. I click on OK

4) It installs, everything still ok.

5) It seems to finish the installation, but the screen goes away, and no game is installed :twisted:

Edit : Funny, while typing this post, the game I tried for at least 10 times gave the following step 5 :

5) It asks to run the game, the game starts & is installed in the java-player.

So my solution for Zim is : Try, and try again... in the end it'll work. 8)

Edited by DethStryke

Guest zim_zimmer

Mines ok now matey... managed to install quite a few games onto my phone now!! Seems all you have to do is make sure your Mini SD card is removed before you start the installation!!!