Java Games Install Help!

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer

Don't know if anyone can help but I've tried to run JAVA Games on the MPx220 and it won't have it for some reason? There are JAVA games on the phone already so I can't see why it won't work?

Is it a case of putting the .jar files in the same folder as BILLIARDS/STEPPING STONES??

Or can you download a JAVA MIDLET MANAGER like on the SPV C500/HTC Canary? I downloaded a MIDLET manager but it said it wasn't designed to use on this device (MPx220).

PLEASE HELP!!

Guest dchester
Don't know if anyone can help but I've tried to run JAVA Games on the MPx220 and it won't have it for some reason? There are JAVA games on the phone already so I can't see why it won't work?

Is it a case of putting the .jar files in the same folder as BILLIARDS/STEPPING STONES??

Or can you download a JAVA MIDLET MANAGER like on the SPV C500/HTC Canary? I downloaded a MIDLET manager but it said it wasn't designed to use on this device (MPx220).

PLEASE HELP!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, it's a convoluted process that you have to go through to install Java programs on the MPx220. It actually seems it was designed by the carriers to try to force people to use GPRS. In any case, this link has the instructions on what you have to do.

http://webpages.charter.net/dchester/MPx22...Q.htm#javasetup

Guest drizze99

PLEASE HELP!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.polyphonicwizard.com/index.html

I use this software to install Java apps/games onto my phone. It turns your PC into a WAP server and your phone thinks it's getting the game from the internet. You need both the JAD & JAR file for it to work. If you only have the JAD file, do a google search for "JAD converter" because there are a few free ones out there. Other than that software, you need to use the supplied data cable and ActiveSync. Set your phone up for "Internet Pass Through" and you are all set.

Guest nikjensie

@drizze99:

I tried that program...

When I enter the address (which is just actually my IP) on the PIE in the phone I get: "Alert. The page you are looking can't be found"

What am I doing wrong?

Nik

Guest drizze99
@drizze99:

I tried that program...

When I enter the address (which is just actually my IP) on the PIE in the phone I get: "Alert. The page you are looking can't be found"

What am I doing wrong?

Nik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine flashes that real quick but then goes to the download. Are you using Java apps/games that work on this phone? You might be using an app that is not formatted for the 176x220 screen. Try a Motorola VXXX series app/game.

Guest nikjensie

;)

I tried the one you posted with the same result...

I'm using "Coding Workshop Polyphonic Wizard 3.5"

Don't know what's wrong...

Nik

Guest drizze99
;)

I tried the one you posted with the same result...

I'm using "Coding Workshop Polyphonic Wizard 3.5"

Don't know what's wrong...

Nik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm... I am using v3.7, so I'm not sure if what you are encountering is a bug. You are putting the JAR & JAD in the same directory, correct?

Is the software formatting the JAD file correctly?

(i.e "MIDlet-Jar-URL:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/nameofgame.jar"

Guest zim_zimmer

ok, I'm getting a headache now, please help!!!

I've tried using Internet Passthrough to get my .jar files from the internet. I set up internet passthrough as described on this link http://webpages.charter.net/dchester/MPx22...Q.htm#javasetup

then I went onto this site as I know it has the game I want (minigolf.jar) http://maestro.intramail.ru/files/java/index.php?name=M

So this is what I did:

Went into Jeodeck (Games & Apps on the start menu).

Clicked 'Download' then it brings up the Internet Explorer browser.

Typed in the webpage (link above) and scrolled down to the game Minigolf.

Clicked 'DOWNLOAD' and I get an error!!

Then I tried typing in the actual shortcut to the file (http://maestro.intramail.ru/files/java/Minigolf.jar) and I got a 404 error.

I wasn't having much luck so next I downloaded the Polyphonic Wizard. No luck with this either!! I thought you could upload things without it connecting to the internet!!

Even tried the F14 game someone posted on here and that didn't work.

I suppose my questions are:

1. What format do the files have to be in to upload to the phone. .jar/.jad or both??

2. If they were to get uploaded to somebody's webspace (like lsjames kindly offered) how would they need to be on the site to be able to download them??

3. Anyone know any good sites that definitely worked using the first method I listed?

Or am I just doing something wrong altogether!! Somebody talk me through it please!!!!

Thank you.

Edited by zim_zimmer

Guest dchester
ok, I'm getting a headache now, please help!!!

I've tried using Internet Passthrough to get my .jar files from the internet.  I set up internet passthrough as described on this link  http://webpages.charter.net/dchester/MPx22...Q.htm#javasetup

then I went onto this site as I know it has the game I want (minigolf.jar) http://maestro.intramail.ru/files/java/index.php?name=M

So this is what I did:

Went into Jeodeck (Games & Apps on the start menu).

Clicked 'Download' then it brings up the Internet Explorer browser.

Typed in the webpage (link above) and scrolled down to the game Minigolf.

Clicked 'DOWNLOAD' and I get an error!! 

Then I tried typing in the actual shortcut to the file (http://maestro.intramail.ru/files/java/Minigolf.jar) and I got a 404 error.

I wasn't having much luck so next I downloaded the Polyphonic Wizard.  No luck with this either!!  I thought you could upload things without it connecting to the internet!!

Even tried the F14 game someone posted on here and that didn't work.

I suppose my questions are:

1.  What format do the files have to be in to upload to the phone.  .jar/.jad or both?? 

2.  If they were to get uploaded to somebody's webspace (like lsjames kindly offered) how would they need to be on the site to be able to download them??

3.  Anyone know any good sites that definitely worked using the first method I listed?

Or am I just doing something wrong altogether!!  Somebody talk me through it please!!!!

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The website that you referenced says that you must download the JAD file (and NOT the JAR file). It doesn't appear that you did that. Here is a link (below) that is known to work. You can use it as a test.

http://midlet.org/repository/borisgranveau...ang_generic.jad

Once again, while the website will have both the JAR and the JAD files, the JAD file is the one that you will need to select from IE on the phone.

Guest zim_zimmer
The website that you referenced says that you must download the JAD file (and NOT the JAR file).  It doesn't appear that you did that.  Here is a link (below) that is known to work.  You can use it as a test.

http://midlet.org/repository/borisgranveau...ang_generic.jad

Once again, while the website will have both the JAR and the JAD files, the JAD file is the one that you will need to select from IE on the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, so as long as a game has a .jad file it should be ok then??

Can anyone give me a helping hand on the Polyphonic Wizard software to transferring java games over??

Guest nikjensie

I never did get that program to work. I did however manage to set up a webserver and put my games there and install em over bth ActiveSync and through regular GPRS... very nice.

Guest zim_zimmer
I never did get that program to work. I did however manage to set up a webserver and put my games there and install em over bth ActiveSync and through regular GPRS... very nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mate,

I don't suppose you could give me a link to your webserver could you??

Are they JAD or JAR files then? And do you have MINIGOLF? if not can I email it to you to upload??

Thanks!!

Guest nikjensie

I never did get that program to work. I did, fairly easy, get a webserver running with directory listing so all I have to do is place the JAD & JAR in the right folder on my harddrive and then fire up IE and download. Works like a charm... is there any good Utilities out there that one could try out?

Nik

Guest nikjensie

Would you look at that... the forum tricked me! Oh well, it just means that you all get to read about my fortune twice... no harm done ;)

I just run the webserver when I have the urge for some Java-downloads, but I can probably make something work for you. I'll PM you a little something later today, okay?

I already have the JavaGames you want help to install from an earlier post so... We'll make it work.

Nik

Guest zim_zimmer

Wicked Nik... thank you.

Sorry about the double post, the forum seemed to go a bit weird!!

So you set up a 'fake' webpage so to speak on your PC and dowload via internet passthrough is that right??

Guest BeeKay
Wicked Nik... thank you.

Sorry about the double post, the forum seemed to go a bit weird!!

So you set up a 'fake' webpage so to speak on your PC and dowload via internet passthrough is that right??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looks like thats what he did !

but how did he setup that webserver ?

a tutorial would be nice !

BeeKay

Guest zim_zimmer

I downloaded a .jad file through Jeodeck (the games & apps icon in the start menu) from MIDLET.ORG and it seemed to go through and actually install the midlet... until I looked at the menu and still only saw BILLIARDS & STEPPING STONES!!!

What is with this JAVA thing man!!

Somebody please please please help me sort this out!!!

A simple way of either installing the .jar file through another JAVA MIDLET MANAGER or through internet passthrough to files on my computer?

Can you view the computers hard drive through internet explorer on the MPx220 like you can on normal IE on a PC... like if you type c: it will go to your c:\drive??

Nik man, where are ya!!

Guest nikjensie

Okay,

here we go... I'm not sure it would be legal for me to give you the link to the site where I store my games, if I'm wrong let me know...

In the meantime, this is what I've done to make it work...

As you may have read in other posts regarding the subject, the webserver hosting the files must send back the correct MIME-types for the files, that's what it all comes down to, I first tried to upload to my ISPs server where I store my webpages but it wouldn't work due to the MIME-type.

What I did was, I downloaded Abyss Web Server from here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Abyss...ws/1016730085/1

*Installed and configured the MIME-types as follows:

JAD: text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

JAR: application/java-archive

* I set the directory listing to standard.

* Made an alias pointing to a folder on my harddrive where I store BOTH .jad & .jar files.

* Then with ActiveSync and Internet Pass-Through I pointed my PIE to my internal IP-adress and the alias specified. (http://192.168.0.2/Java/)

Since there is no indexfile in the folder I get a directory listing of all files (jars & jads) in the folder. Click on the .jad... Installation begins!

Good Luck, I know I'm crappy at explaining so please ask if you need any help...

Nik

@Zim: Which MiniGolf is it you're after?

Guest zim_zimmer
Okay,

here we go... I'm not sure it would be legal for me to give you the link to the site where I store my games, if I'm wrong let me know...

In the meantime, this is what I've done to make it work...

As you may have read in other posts regarding the subject, the webserver hosting the files must send back the correct MIME-types for the files, that's what it all comes down to, I first tried to upload to my ISPs server where I store my webpages but it wouldn't work due to the MIME-type.

What I did was, I downloaded Abyss Web Server from here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Abyss...ws/1016730085/1

*Installed and configured the MIME-types as follows:

JAD: text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

JAR: application/java-archive

* I set the directory listing to standard.

* Made an alias pointing to a folder on my harddrive where I store BOTH .jad & .jar files.

* Then with ActiveSync and Internet Pass-Through I pointed my PIE to my internal IP-adress and the alias specified. (http://192.168.0.2/Java/)

Since there is no indexfile in the folder I get a directory listing of all files (jars & jads) in the folder. Click on the .jad... Installation begins!

Good Luck, I know I'm crappy at explaining so please ask if you need any help...

Nik

@Zim: Which MiniGolf is it you're after?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok... I'll give this a go later!

Am I right in thinking that you still need an internet connection then to download JAVA Games?? Or can you download the Abyss 251kb file and install on a standalone machine?

I've got the JAD & JAR of Minigolf, I can email you with it if you like?

Guest zim_zimmer

Just a few more questions...

1. I'm currently sitting at work at the moment and have downloaded the setup file. Am I gonna be ok you reckon to install this onto a work machine... what actually is a webserver??

2. When you say that you 'installed & configured the MIME types' how do you mean installed??? Do I have to download them from some where??

Or can you just give the link to where your games are stored!!

Maybe somebody would be knod enough to set up a website with games that people can send to get posted on there... A MODACO JAD GAMES site!!! Then we can all use passthrough to get our beloved JAVA games!!

Guest nikjensie

Once you install the Abyss Webserver (Which I DON'T recommend doing on a work machine) you will be able to enter the setup for the webserver. Find MIME-types (under server configuration) and simply add the two I mentioned.

The problem is that a lot of the JavaGames I have are commercial, so sharing would be illegal.

You will need a network setup for your phone to connect to the computer through ActiveSync Internet Passthrough...