Customizing homescreen 'contacts' key

Guest u_trip

Guest u_trip

Hey,

i was thinking wouldn't it be nice to customise the homescreen softkeys? or at least the contacts one. it would be nice if you could make it take you to a new text message. Does anyone know a reg tweak for this?

Cheers guys ;)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

It is possible to re-map the key to Inbox instead of Contacts program. Problem is, it will only launch Inbox program and not take you to the 'New message' option of Inbox (just like the Orange Abaxia homescreen plugin).

You do the re-mapping using PHM Registry Editor

1. Open HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSCONTACTS

2. Tap left soft key (Values)

3. Rename 1 to 1OK

4. Hit Menu > New Value > String

5. Value name: 1

Value data: tmail.exe

6. OK then exit PHM Registry Editor.

It should launch Inbox (tmail.exe). Just in case you screw your registry, delete '1' then rename 1OK to 1.

The default value for :MSCONTACTS is

appman.exe -s Apps :MSCONTACTS tpcutil.dll AMContacts

Related thread (links to another Caller ID program instead of the default one)

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=199255

Good luck. ;)

Guest u_trip

awesom, cheers dude.

perhaps some command line fiddeling or something to do with 'appman' command might take into a new message? Or what about the crazy key sending it does when you click certiain menu options (like the bluetooth option in the 'quicklist' meu)?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Alright, a little development here. I managed to have it take me to the create new SMS window using tmail.exe -new value data.

Downside is it will only work if Inbox (tmail.exe) is not running on the background.

Someone may want to observe how the Orange HS works. All I know is that 'HOMESCREEN Plugin' is located at CLSID {82C7F821-1CF5-4b17-8A4B-4D02683206C3} of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and calls HomeScreen.dll off \Windows

;)

post-12251-1116596053_thumb.jpg

Guest chucky.egg

Wow, that is neat.

Is there a way to have an icon/plugin on my Homescreen to take me to the new message, without having to use the Orange C500 homescreen?

Can something like the Remmy's Shortcut plugin be used to put a single icon on pointing to this?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I was thinking about SmartExplorer's 'parameter' feature. Anyone knows how to use it? Is it like running a program using the command-line parameter?

Guest extravagant
Wow, that is neat.

Is there a way to have an icon/plugin on my Homescreen to take me to the new message, without having to use the Orange C500 homescreen?

Can something like the Remmy's Shortcut plugin be used to put a single icon on pointing to this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that'd be great

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pagemakers
It is possible to re-map the key to Inbox instead of Contacts program. Problem is, it will only launch Inbox program and not take you to the 'New message' option of Inbox (just like the Orange Abaxia homescreen plugin).

You do the re-mapping using PHM Registry Editor

1. Open HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSCONTACTS

2. Tap left soft key (Values)

3. Rename 1 to 1OK

4. Hit Menu > New Value > String

5. Value name: 1

Value data: tmail.exe

6. OK then exit PHM Registry Editor.

It should launch Inbox (tmail.exe). Just in case you screw your registry, delete '1' then rename 1OK to 1.

The default value for :MSCONTACTS is

appman.exe -s Apps :MSCONTACTS tpcutil.dll AMContacts

Related thread (links to another Caller ID program instead of the default one)

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=199255

Good luck. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you then change the name of the soft button to Email?

Guest Pagemakers

Hmm. The name still stays as Contacts.

The other problem is when you click on the start menu/contacts button you get taken to the Inbox as well.

Is there a fix fir that?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Chucky's trick on creating a new file might work. 'Contacts' link on Start Menu still targets 'appman.exe -s Apps :MSCONTACTS tpcutil.dll AMContacts' that is why it will still launch the default contacts program on execution.

Guest patbisch

I've create these keys in registry :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Home\Keys\113]

string : default , value : what you want in place of contacts

string : open , value : "path of the application you want" (with the ")

Voilà ...post-36451-1118149463_thumb.jpg post-36451-1118149679_thumb.jpg

Working on my MPX200 (WM2003) and with the Qtek 8080 of my brother.

Edited by patbisch

Guest chucky.egg

Works a treat, good job there patbisch!

My C500 now has "New Msg" instead of "Contacts", didn't even need a reboot (but I did need to click it while it still said Contacts, and it came back afterwards saying New Msg)

Guest chucky.egg
Is there a workaround so launching the Contacts app actually opens the Contacts app nd not the Inbox?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to reset the Key for the Contacts app to the default setting

Guest Pagemakers

So, I cant have the contacts button named as "Mail", going to the inbox, whilst ATILL keeping the contact application going to contacts?

Guest chucky.egg
So, I cant have the contacts button named as "Mail", going to the inbox, whilst ATILL keeping the contact application going to contacts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you can

Reset your Contacts registry key so that the Contacts icon goes to Contacts, and then add patbisch's tweak to change the right-hand soft key (on the Homescreen) label and associated application.

If you have pzee's Inbox Tweak installed you can create the 113 "Open" key like this:

"\Storage\Program Files\Inbox Tweak\Inbox.111" (include the quotes)

@pzee - Any chance of a CAB installer for the soft-key tweak? Go on... you know you want to (assuming patbisch doesn't mind)

Guest balaaan
I've create these keys in registry :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Home\Keys\113]

string : default , value : what you want in place of contacts

string : open , value : "path of the application you want" (with the ")

Voilà ...post-36451-1118149463_thumb.jpg post-36451-1118149679_thumb.jpg

Working on my MPX200 (WM2003) and with the Qtek 8080 of my brother.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, you're the MAN!!! =D>

Worked like a charm on my C500.. Though I had to use PHM Regedit & not smartione (smartione could add the keys, but couldn't edit the strings & values??!! :shock: )

All I need now is the option for tmail.exe that takes me to creating a new message..

Help anyone?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@chucky

Thats easy to do but I dont know their desired name for the soft key and the application they wished launched.

This is indeed a great tweak. 113 is for the right soft key using the MSDN keycode list:

KeyCode 	 Keypad Key

13  Action

37  Left

38  Up

39  Right

40  down

48 - 57  0 to 9

114  Talk (Green button)

115  End (Red Button)

91  Home

27  Back

121  Record

128  Flip

129  Power

117  Vol Up

119  Star

120  Pound/Sharp

118  Vol Down

112  Menu 1

113  Menu 2  <---- RIGHT SOFT KEY  aka "Contacts"

Thus 112 is for the left softkey! Anyone tried this trick on the left soft key?

Guest chucky.egg
@chucky

Thats easy to do but I dont know their desired name for the soft key and the application they wished launched.

Oh, stop making excuses!

I should have thought of that though... sorry! :oops:

112 is for the left softkey! Anyone tried this trick on the left soft key?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd have to have a speed dial (or another key mapping) for the Start Menu then, which might get confusing.

Could be useful though. I was thinking about ways to "lock down" the phone so that people can't mess with company phones. That might do the job, in conjunction with Mayhem's Grid Icons homescreen or something... hmm.

Guest chucky.egg
All I need now is the option for tmail.exe that takes me to creating a new message..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's included in pzee's Inbox Tweak, but I'm not sure cos I did it by hand

Using SmartExplorer:

File - Open - Manage File Associations - New

Extn: .222

Application: "tmail.exe -new"

The create a file somewhere on your phone (doesn't really matter where, but mine is in \Storage\Program Files\Inbox Tweak as in pzee's CAB) called NewMsg.222, and (if you want the link in your Start Menu) create a shortcut to it in \Storage\Windows\Start Menu.

If you just want to use it with the right softkey you set the "Open" registry key to "\Storage\Program Files\Inbox Tweak\NewMsg.222" (including the quotes)