TV Remote Update

Guest Tech

Guest mini_man

ok i agree with that, but you have to respect techs descision of not accepting help from mexc. He may want to go it alone so the only way we can help including u mexc is by supplying the hex codes.

Guest fluffcat1
ok i agree with that, but you have to respect techs descision of not accepting help from mexc. He may want to go it alone so the only way we can help including u mexc is by supplying the hex codes.

Hex codes are public domain ( or at least philip's RC5 subset was last I looked) and many, many others are listed on remotecentral's site here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

So it seems a lot of the code collating work has already been done. Why duplicate it?

If he want's to 'go it alone' then maybe he should do his own research for the codes rather than asking for them. Maybe the first post needs editing?

I would like:

The HEX codes to:

[snip]

and anything else you think maybe of use.

Perhaps a poll of brands of TV to include rather than asking people to post their own hex codes?

seriously your doing it again get off his back.

"but for someone so pushed for time with exams who is unable to devote much time to the actual project, he is able to talk / type an awful lot about his progress on the subject "

fluffcat1 are you kidding you and i both know that a post on modaco takes about 2 minutes i mean come on you have made 611 posts surely it you must have noticed it was a quick process.

Actually I take my time writing these posts as I like to consider what I write and if necessary back it up with external links / quotes.

If Tech didn't want us to comment then he shouldn't be publicising his ongoing work, he should wow us with an early beta test version. It's a bit like a movie star doing an interview and then getting annoyed at media / public attention...can't have it both ways!

and on the case does not mean i have a working model up and running for every one to use it means i am working on how to implement the design/researching/testing.

Because that takes time. Making a project plan. And using google to reaserch source materials / hex codes....

Maybe tech wants to prove somthing to himself, that he has done the apparently impossible and maybe he wants to accept all the credit, so give it to him its the best way to keep him motivated.

I think he's more interested in proving it to us by talking about it TBH. You can't get credit for hype.

He might not want to post what hes got as he doesnt want anyone nicking his plans and beating him to it.

Well if he's managed what other's haven't and can emit the correct codes then he could make a fortune if he wrote a commercial app and put it on 'fairdeal'. Surely the financial rewards would be motivation / credit enough if it really is possible. I'd buy it.

Richard

Tech dude I have full respect if you are going to develop this application and give it away--as someone has said above it would be a killer application.

I was only giving my input as i thought it would help you in this quest, you just dismissed it, I cant see how asking for "Hex" codes will help you?

You havent explained to the people (who you have to understand are not experts in this field like you) what a "hex" code is, or how they obtain this "code" or even why you need these "codes".

Consumer IR is a very tricky thing to pull off, first you have the hardware problems like the IRDA issues in my earlier post or even the fact that the actual infra-red circuitry might not be able to transmit at the required frequency (38-40Khz).

Second you have the multiple protocols that are used in todays market, Sony use SIRC (or "Control-S") protocol that uses a 12bit binary pulse modulated signal for each key, i wont go into to much detail but basically you have to "pulse" the infra-red for 1.2ms for a logical one and "pulse" the infra-red for 0.6ms for a logical 0.

As you can see you not only need to know the protocols in depth (Philips have two different ones/ JVC/ NEC) but you need to know the 7bit (as 5 of the 12bits are address) BINARY codes for each key.

Universal remotes use a look up table to configure all the keys on a remote, i.e. you look up your TV chassis code in a book and type in the corresponding number, this will configure each key to send the correct binary sequence for example "volume up" and also set the right protocol and frequency to use (40khz for sony 38Khz for everyone else).

In my opinion you will not be able to complete this task without a decent ossciloscope and infra-red receiver--unless you find an open source PPC app (HINT) and maybe try and port it over---your first task however is to see if the IR circuitry is capable of the job.

Im digging into my old job as a LCD TV design engineer here so maybe some of the timings ive quoted off the top of my head are a little out--dont know how good my memory is :D

Hope this is of some help, even if you didnt want it :)

hex codes are needed as I am not going to be the one getting every single one for you guys - I do require your help therefore saves me time and what not - need hex codes to transmit the appropriate signal to the TV to control the TV. Without hex codes, there is nothing but a useless app.

This is the bit I don't get. The hex codes for virtually all TVs and other consumer electronics are already in the public domain, and you've been pointed to them many times. So why do you are you still asking us to supply our own examples when there are thousands available for you to do your research and prove your concept?

Obviously it's up to you to set the timescales, so why constantly set false expectations of those eager for those application by raising the profile of the project yet again, when it's not even off the drawing board? Why invite the interest and response from those on here expert in IR technology, if all you are going to do is refuse their help?

Even though there are very valid reasons why, the fact remains you are not telling us anything diiferent to what you were 5 months ago. That's not a problem - rarely do best expectations go to plan. I'm sure the whole community will look forward to the results of your research with open arms, once you have made some progress. But it does seems strange to ask for help in a public forum, then refuse point blank to share any useful information on your progress, and dismiss out of hand all those kindly offering expert technical assistance for free.

Which is a shame, because if you read any of the other Smartphone and Windows Mobile developer forums, you'd know that the best way to get technically challenging projects like this off the ground is by the community working together and pooling their knowledge. And when faced with an obsolescent platform such as the Smartphone, it's the only way to keep development alive.

I know I was severely criticised for voicing my opinion earlier in this thread. But reading the comments and one-way information flow since has only strengthened my original impression - that this thread is more about self publicity and ego boosting, than a genuine appeal for help to move a very worthwhile project forward.

Edited by Metoo

im not going over it again

read other people's replies then mine

lets call this thread off - people just dont understand anything but like to stir up some crazy s*** for no reason.

I will ask one of the mods to close of this thread.

There will be no more talk about the TV remote app - only by PM from now on and I will not be visiting the site anymore.

Have a great day