TV Remote Update

Guest Tech

Hi folks!

Firstly, Happy New Year everyone!!!! :D I hope the new year brings you more happiness and success and hope overall, it will be a better year than 2005. ;)

The main reason I am posting this thread is because I am recieving a high request about making a TV Remote control for the smartphones.

I have said in a few topics posted here that "I am on the case" and indeed that is still true.

Even though currently I have my final exams this month (pray I pass!) ... I am still willing to do my research as I am a software developer.

Just to let many of you know that I am currently about to start developing the app but it will require some time and patience - I hope you can all bear with me! :D

The facts:

1) I believe it is possible to send signals to an IR non mobile device

2) The IR signal strength on the smartphone device IS NOT as strong as what most of us expected to be, I can send an ordinary signal from about just over 1m away

Hopefully we can at least control the TV even though the distance is a bit of an issue, but hey - better than nothing huh?

hopefully whenever I get this completed, I will be requiring some beta testers nearer the time and then hopefully if it is a success will I implement this in my "WMP Remote" application which will be redesigned/renamed.

Please post your comments/advice here :D

What I would currently like for you folks to do if possible, this would be a big help is if you could post TV codes for your television!

What I require from you!

I would like:

The TV Manufacturer

The TV Model

The HEX codes to:

a) channel up/down

:D volume up/down

c) mute

d) standby

and anything else you think maybe of use.

Many thanks,

Best wishes

Edited by Tech

Well I am unsure about this to be honest BUT I am guessing perhaps the manufacturer's website? I know some manufacturer's have them on their website, or perhaps in the manual?

maybe on some tv remote control forum or something.

That is what I am a bit stuck on if i get the thing up and running ;)

Guest Alex_le_brit

Can I suggest that you implement the coding for the SKy remote quite early on?

I've got a student who works for Thompson and seems to know all about those universal remotes, so I might lead the lesson round to HEX codes and see what they know.

Guest fluffcat1
2) The IR signal strength on the smartphone device IS NOT as strong as what most of us expected to be, I can send an ordinary signal from about just over 1m away

Hopefully we can at least control the TV even though the distance is a bit of an issue, but hey - better than nothing huh?

Back when I was using some ipaqs ( wm2002 and 2003 PPC) with various remote programs, I used the instructions here to make an IR extender to increase the range. A bit cumbersome but usefull. As an alternative, my brother got a commercial unit that plugged into the headphone jack and converted the sounds from the propriertary software into IR signals, again quite useful but still a bit fiddly.

I then got an ipaq 3900 with UEI's Nevo remote control technology that had a good range so put the bodge box in a drawer somewhere.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest herghost

Slightly unrelated but not! Ok the lights in my room have infrared sensors to turn them on and off by using any remote that has an up and down button, recently discovered that my spv c500 also works!

Guest JesusDoesVegas

did you use software to do it? or where you trying to turn down the volume of your phone and it got dark? that would be kinda frightening.

^ read the topic

there arent any applications for TV remote or there are but they do not work this is what I am saying - I am on the case.

in the mean time check out my WMP Remote on my website

Well I am unsure about this to be honest BUT I am guessing perhaps the manufacturer's website? I know some manufacturer's have them on their website, or perhaps in the manual?

maybe on some tv remote control forum or something.

That is what I am a bit stuck on if i get the thing up and running ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure if you've sussed this yet, but everything you need is on remotecentral.

1. Download ProntoEdit 4.05

2. Download the .CCFs for the devices you require from Pronto files section

3. Use ProntoEdit to view/copy/edit the IR hex for the commands you require.

Incidentally, CCFs are kind of a de facto standard these days, so it might be an idea to let your app import them (or have a conversion utility), so users can add their own devices. Take a leaf out of Philips' book. Avoid the hassle of maintaining an IR code database for every bit of home electronics ever made, and let the user community do it for you. :D

Edited by Metoo

thanks for that

well yeh i mean, my application WILL have the option of users adding their own TV set into the configuration file BUT I require the codes so I can test it on limited devices first before making it a proper release ;)

i havent done much yet in terms of "cracking" the way of sending signals properly, as i currently have exams, but i will be on the case for sure and I am committed :D

ProntoEdit is not free :D

Edited by Tech

ok tech, hope you can use it

my tv i would like to see supported

-SHARP

-28LF94E

-dont know the hex code but this code is from the remote: RC5010-11

will look further on it.

Good luck creating such a great app and good luck with your exams.

EDIT: i guess you probarly already know this site : http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

too bad mine tv remote modelnumber isnt between there...but they have a sh't load of hex codes for tv remotes....

Edited by fuku

well yeh i mean, my application WILL have the option of users adding their own TV set into the configuration file BUT I require the codes so I can test it on limited devices first before making it a proper release ;)
As I said, everything you need is on Remote Central, all you have to do is look.

Let's go for a walk :D

www.remotecentral.com > Features > Infrared Database

ProntoEdit is not free :D

www.remotecentral.com >

Files >

Philips Pronto & ProntoPro >

Original PC Software >

Philips Pronto Series >

Philips ProntoEdit v4.0.5 >

Get Details >

Get File

Oh, and they have a search engine too. Happy coding!

Edited by Metoo

The facts:

1) I believe it is possible to send signals to an IR non mobile device

Not that I want to detract from your efforts, as any search of the forums will show there's always been a huge demand. But isn't the hardware limited ;)

Edited by Metoo

Guest moosery

because when a telly has only 2 buttons on it, the on button and the volume button - what about choosing AV?

(why do some tellies not have "->AV" buttons on the set? grrr)

Guest mini_man

so tech are you gonna use the remote library mensioned above or do you still want our hex codes.

dont meen to be pushy but whats the expected date of finishing this project as i think all of us are really keen.

expected release time is unknown - i havent even started to do this as I currently have exams

I do still require hex codes but I will also be using the resources given from this thread

as for the other application I have made, that is known as WMP Remote control - allows you to control what files to play on your PC from the power of the SPV and my application via bluetooth/usb cable/gprs/wireless

my website is on my signature ;)

http://www.spapps.co.uk