Hermes + HSPDA = The streaming generation...

Guest julianmclean

Guest dearsina

Streaming not allowed? Ops. I was streaming left-right-and-centre on my SDA II, GPRS yes, but for radio music it was just fine, until I found out that if you stream GPRS on T's network, you won't get any incoming calls or texts, in effect making your phone an expensive radio receiver.

T-Mobile's network is kak, if you're considering switching because of cost differences, you might be interested to note that the network architecture they use seems lesser than O's or Voda's.

But back to topic, does anybody else suffer from reduced system performance when using Orb? Love the programme, hate what it does to my available processing power.

Edited by dearsina

Guest dskeeles
How are you finding your phone with Orb?

I haven't given it a thorough test yet. Everything seemed to work at a first glance:

- MP3s play at 192kbps, and I can queue a whole album

- Photo slideshows are fine

- Video seems to stream OK (some edge banding and strange colour casts, but this is at the server side)

Some suspicions that I need to check:

- Lip-sync questions with video

- Possible skipping before finishing the track, in albums

- CPU overhead on the Hermes

- Initial playback pausing for repeated buffering, and repeated data rate downgrading until it ends up playing at, say, 45kbps from an initial 200kbps tested (suspect WCDMA performance or T-Mobile content bandwidth controls for that one).

[d]

But back to topic, does anybody else suffer from reduced system performance when using Orb? Love the programme, hate what it does to my available processing power.

Orb eats my laptop for breakfast.