22 replies to this topic

jbrare

jbrare

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500

The mobile phone market is mental for competition. O/Voda/Tmob/etc are all well aware customers don't want 18 month contracts, but they have to make money somehow! Customers want a top of the range phone for free, with 1000 mins and unlimited sms+data for ?25 a month, and as (some) have realised, the sums don't balance, _unless_ you take into consideration 18 month contracts.

Agreed, but the choice (even in the franchised shops) should be available. As I said before, I don't expect unrealistic price plans for my 12 months so long as it's fair. I don't even mind contributing a fair share of the phone price either. This option was taken away from me by Orange unless I accepted an 18 month contract. "No" business seems to be preferable to "some" business as far as Orange is concerned. Shame really, I liked the network.

JB

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Yep absolutely. Unfortunately you're in the minority, as i said above, the majority of people want the latest phones for no cost. The networks have responded, Orange and the rest, by introducing 18 month contracts. Higher commission and difficult targets have resulted in retailers pushing for the longer contracts.

Surely you must know that as a consumer, in electronic equipment in particular, you are told what you want, rather than requesting it *cough*HDTV*cough*? :)

I still exist

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4
  • Devices:iPhone 4
  • Twitter:@Super_Nicktendo
Yep - they pretty much made it impossible for us to sell consumers 12 month contracts, as we'd earn literally nothing for a handset upgrade on 12mo - I'd rather be spending my time connecting a clearance PAYG handset which paid a hell of a lot more than a standard 12mo upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users