The MoDaCo + eXpansys £2.5m voucher bonanza

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Richard 45

dammit! wish i'd signed up sooner rather than just browsing :(

As said before, good way of rewarding the regulars with vouchers - this forum is so useful for people like me :D

(hello by the way!)

Edited by Richard 45

Guest Mr.Clark

Thanks! :D

That was the incentive I needed to get off my arse and order a new E100 headset adaptor thingy.

Then I got attacked that evening and my crappy spare headphones were broken, so really glad I ordered.

Should arrive tomorrow...

Guest timeline

I had an order in the pipeline when I got the voucher, I mailed them but they seem reluctant to apply it. Just a warning to others! I'll chase them up by phone again later...

Guest slippers
Me neither...

M.S

eXpansys Voucher Code = BLANK :D

If I follow the link from post 13, the box for the code is blank. Do I just have to wait?

Guest sponge

I just wanted to say thanks for this. Thanks.

I've just ordered the Smartflip for £60 and this more than covers the cost of P&P. Well chuffed. :D

Edit: Not that chuffed any more. The listing has gone from their site and my order has been saying 'estimated 6 days' every day since I placed the order. I'm starting to think I'll never see the phone. :(

Edited by sponge

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sponge

My fears have been realised. There is no phone. I'm not happy. There are few things in life that really annoy me, one is internet retailers giving inaccurate stock levels and taking orders for items they have no intention of delivering.

I first emailed Expansys when their delivery estimate moved from 5 days to 6 and stayed there for over a week. This was their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

We apologise for the delay on your order however stock is due in our warehouse April 1st therefore you shouldn’t be waiting much longer and you will be notified by email when the order has been dispatched to you

We apologise for any inconvenience caused

Regards

Fine I thought, give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the delivery estimate went up again, to 9 days. So I contacted them again. This was their reply:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued. While we try to keep

the information on our web site fully up to date with the status of

each product, inevitably in some cases we are not informed that a

particular item is no longer available until after we have orders for

it.

We apologise for any inconvenience. In many cases, there is often a

direct replacement for a discontinued item. Please contact any of our

sales team on the number below (or by email to [email protected]) to

discuss this.

Regards

Order Processing

eXpansys

HTC Partner

Parrot Partner

I fully expect them to either offer me an alternative at extra cost, or simply cancel the order. The former being unacceptable, the latter being down right disappointing.

I'm not a happy bunny. :D

I'd be interested to know if anyone actually received their phone. I read on the coolsmartphone forum that someone may have ordered the whole stock in one go. If that's the case and individual (non-business) customers like me missed out, it's even more infuriating.

Edited by sponge

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I'd be interested to know if anyone actually received their phone. I read on the coolsmartphone forum that someone may have ordered the whole stock in one go. If that's the case and individual (non-business) customers like me missed out, it's even more infuriating.

Sorry to hear this, but the price was so low ( under cost) so they could clear the stock! There was never any chance of them getting more - if you'd rung up a real person would have told you this - as they did me when I went and collected some - I think the 'stock due xxxx thing is automated based on usual lead times from suppliers etc - eXpansys are known for this. You seriously think they'll buy in more stock to sell at a loss? It was £250 when I bought one 18 months ago. The offer was first mentioned here on 21st feb. They've still got pink ones ( wonder why?...) and many people here benefitted, myself included, so it was a real offer. If they had 500 and someone orders 500 and someone else orders 1, if they're trying to clear stockroom space whose order you think they'll process?

If you really want this phone buy the pink one and a sillicone case or see if there are covers available on eBay yet. I believe the big customer sells parts via hongkong so the devices bought in quantity were most likely bought to be stripped for parts.

Sorry, just being realistic. Ya snooze ya lose...

M.S

Guest sponge
Sorry to hear this, but the price was so low ( under cost) so they could clear the stock! There was never any chance of them getting more - if you'd rung up a real person would have told you this - as they did me when I went and collected some - I think the 'stock due xxxx thing is automated based on usual lead times from suppliers etc - eXpansys are known for this. You seriously think they'll buy in more stock to sell at a loss? It was £250 when I bought one 18 months ago. The offer was first mentioned here on 21st feb. They've still got pink ones ( wonder why?...) and many people here benefitted, myself included, so it was a real offer. If they had 500 and someone orders 500 and someone else orders 1, if they're trying to clear stockroom space whose order you think they'll process?

If you really want this phone buy the pink one and a sillicone case or see if there are covers available on eBay yet. I believe the big customer sells parts via hongkong so the devices bought in quantity were most likely bought to be stripped for parts.

Sorry, just being realistic. Ya snooze ya lose...

M.S

I contacted a 'real person' and they told me they were getting more stock in. If they ran out of stock so quickly, possibly back in February, then they should have withdrawn the advert. (As they now have.) So not only did they continue to advertise stock they didn't have, their staff are mis-informing their customers when queries are made about that stock. I hesitate to use the word lie, but if the shoe fits...

All the other points you mention are none of my concern as a consumer. I don't care if the goods are sold at a loss; they might not be for all I know. If there was no chance of them getting any more, then they should override the 'automated system' (if there is one) to reflect that situation.

They should not advertise goods for sale in the knowledge that when the advertisement appears before the public the goods will not be available.

A quick trawl of the internet reveals many people complaining about exactly the same thing. I suppose it's a good job they don't take your money until the goods are dispatched.

Edited by sponge

Guest Monolithix

I'm actually still tempted to get one in pink and try out a dismantling/custom paint job on it :D

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I contacted a 'real person' and they told me they were getting more stock in. If they ran out of stock so quickly, possibly back in February, then they should have withdrawn the advert. (As they now have.) So not only did they continue to advertise stock they didn't have, their staff are mis-informing their customers when queries are made about that stock. I hesitate to use the word lie, but if the shoe fits...

They should not advertise goods for sale in the knowledge that when the advertisement appears before the public the goods will not be available.

They didn't run out in febuary, last one I ordered was 15th March. They were freely availble for at least a month after being mentioned here.

An advert is only ever an invitiation to make an offer to buy, it's not a contract until they confirm it. Orders are processed 8am - 5pm IIRC. Outside of this, an item can still be 'in stock' despite having no stock if others have already placed an order request.

Saying something is '500 in stock expected 6 days' is not saying it is in stock, it is they are expecting 500 in stock in 6 days, so they haven't advertised stock they don't have. When you ordered, they had no stock 'in stock now' - it was only ever guestimated. Check the thread, I was casting doubts they'd get any more before you'd even ordered:

...if it does indeed come back in stock. Plus point is a smartflip comes with a leather-ette case. Minus point is it comes with an EU mains adapter.

Been saying 500+ in stock - 3 days for a while now. Although the extra one I ordered tuesday night is ready for collection apparently so they must have some...

M.S

When I ordered it, they quoted several hundred in stock, 5 days iirc. It's now been over a week, the listing is gone and my order has said 'estimated 6 days' every day since. I'm starting to think I'll never see the phone. :D

They may have been trying to recall stock from other countries - as the offer was available in the US as well it might be difficult re-allocating. They keep the listing up until there is no chance of getting any more. Like you say, they are known for this, it was even mentioned in the very thread mentioning the offer!

I'm actually still tempted to get one in pink and try out a dismantling/custom paint job on it :(

When I first had one I was tempted to use the stripdown guide and re-spray the front gold, for that complete StarTrek communicator look. Never got around to it but might retire my original one now i have some replacements and do it to that.

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest timeline

Expansys always say things like several hundred in stock, etc and when you order it says something else entirely. Their staff are rude/incompetent, and treat me like it's my privelege to buy from them and they have no need to explain why my item keeps getting delayed.

See here for more complaints

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=106410

• 1 month later...
Guest Shadowfixeruk

Umm - Don't suppose you have any vouchers left that didn't run out on the 4th of April Paul?

:D :(

Something to the tune of £130 would be ace :o

Cheers

SF

• 2 months later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

It's back :D

Grab your own voucher!

http://mickey.modaco.com/expansys/getcode.php' method='get'>Please enter your email address (codes are sent via email)

The offer is £10 to put towards an order of £20 or more between now and the 4th August 2008!

To use your code you can:

- Enter it in the Voucher Code field at checkout, or;

- Call 0161 868 0868 and quote it and the fact you are purchasing via MoDaCo to your sales advisor, or;

- Email [email protected] with your voucher code after placing your order, again stating you are purchasing via MoDaCo

Enjoy :D

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.