So i decided to jump ship to the symbian software phones also to have a fresh operating system to play with .
The first phone i got was the nokia 6120 classic , this is a small hspda phone full of features but this suffered on build quality and a very poor camera , a 2mp camera with photos worse than the htc phones , adding to that the poor quality of the phones joy pad which is silver and chipped within a week of use , it was a shame as the phone itself was a nice small power packed device which suffered also from the same problem as the nokia n95 a one day life on the battery , so having had that one for 2 weeks i decided to go for my second nokia the N82 and the following is a review of the phone .
The N82 is a phone that has all the features of the N95 but in candy bar form , a bit wierd looking but it has a full spec that should be included in modern windows mobile phones which it sadly is not.
The specs for the device are the following .....
N82.jpg 574.29K 312 downloads
• WCDMA2100 (HSDPA), EGSM900, GSM850/1800/1900 MHz (EGPRS)
• Automatic switching between bands and modes
• Volume: 90 cc
• Weight: 114 g
• Length: 112 mm
• Width: 50.2 mm
• Thickness (max): 17.3 mm
• Up to 100MB internal dynamic memory* for messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list and applications
• Hot swappable microSD memory card slot
*Dynamic memory means that the available memory is shared between dynamic memory functions. When any of these functions is used, there is less available memory for other functions which are also dependent on dynamic memory.
• Battery: Nokia Battery (BP-6MT) 1050mAH
• Talk time: up to 190 minutes (WCDMA),up to 260 minutes (GSM)
• Stand-by time: up to 210 hours(WDCMA),up to 225 hours (GSM)
• Still images: up to 290 pictures (with flash)
• Video capture: up to 110 minutes (VGA, 30fps)
• Video call: up to 120 minutes
• Video playback time: up to 200 minutes (VGA, 30 fps)
• Music playback time: up to 10 hours(offline mode)
*Operation times may vary depending on radio access technology used, operator network configuration and usage.
• 2.4" LCD QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) TFT color display with up to 16.7 million colours
• S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1
• Automatic screen rotation
• Logs: keeps lists of your dialed, received, and missed calls
• Voice dialing (with Speaker independent name dialing (SIND)) and voice commands
• Nokia Push to talk (PoC)
• E-mail (SMTP, IMAP4, POP3), MMS, SMS
• WCDMA HSDPA 2100 MHz with simultaneous voice and packet data (PS max speed DL/UL= 3.6Mbps/384kbps, CS max speed 64kbps)
• Dual Transfer Mode (DTM) support for simultaneous voice and packet data connection in GSM/EDGE networks. Simple class A, multi slot class 11, max speed DL/UL: 177.6/118.4 kbits/s
• EGPRS class B, multi slot class 32, max speed DL/UL= 296 / 177.6 kbits/s
• GPRS class B, multi slot class 32, max speed DL/UL= 107 / 64.2 kbits/s
*Actual achieved speeds may vary depending on network support.
Imaging and video
• Up to 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944 pixels) camera, Carl Zeiss Optics: Tessar™ lens, MPEG-4 VGA video capture of up to 30 fps
• Direct connection to compatible TV via TV-out or wireless LAN/UPnP
• Front camera, CIF (352 x 288 pixels) sensor for video telephony
• Video call and video sharing support (WCDMA network services)
• Integrated xenon flash
• Slideshow from gallery
• One-click upload of photos & videos to web
• Nokia XpressPrint: direct printing via USB(PictBridge), Bluetooth connectivity (BPP), and WLAN (UPnP) or via online printing
• Video resolutions: up to VGA (640 x 480 pixels) at 30 fps
• Recording indicator
• Audio recording: AAC (AMR for MMS)
• Digital video stabilisation
• Video file format .mp4 (default), .3gp (for MMS)
• White balance, scene and colour tone setting
• Zoom: Digital up to 10x (VGA up to 4x)
• Front camera: CIF (352 x 288 pixels) sensor for video telephony
• On-device video editing
• Image resolution: up to 5 megapixels (2592 x 1944 pixels)
• Auto focus
• Amber coloured auto focus assist light and recording indicator
• Still image file format: JPEG/EXIF
• Auto exposure - center weighted
• Exposure compensation: +2 ~ -2EV at 0.5 step
• White balance: automatic, sunny, cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent
• Scene: automatic, user, close-up, portrait, landscape, sports, night, night portrait
• Colour tone: normal, sepia, black & white, negative, vivid
• Zoom: digital up to 20x (5 megapixel up to 6x)
• Xenon flash
• On-device photo editing
• Sensor: CMOS, 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944)
• Carl Zeiss Optics: Tessar™ lens
• F number/Aperture: F2.8
• Focal length 5.6 mm
• Focus range 10 cm ~ infinity
• Macro focus distance 10-50 cm
• Digital music player - supports MP3/AAC/eAAC/eAAC+/WMA/M4A with playlists
• OMA DRM 2.0/1.0 & WMDRM support for music
• Integrated stereo hands-free speaker
• Stereo FM radio (87.5-108MHz) with Visual Radio support
• Nokia Stereo Headset HS-43 in-box
• Bluetooth wireless technology 2.0 with A2DP Stereo audio
• Video player - supports MPEG4, AVC/H.264, H.264, H.263, RV
• OMA DRM 2.0/1.0 & WMDRM support for video
• Resolution: MPEG4 VGA @ up to 30 fps scaled to QVGA on device or VGA in TV-out mode
• Transfer your videos from compatible PC: Windows Media Player, USB mass-storage file transfer or Nokia Nseries PC Suite using full-speed USB 2.0 connectivity
• Pre-configured video services and dynamic expansion with new services
• Video podcasting: find, subscribe, download, view with mobile device
RealPlayer media player
• Full-screen video playback to view downloaded, streamed or recorded video clips
• Supported video formats: MPEG-4, H.264/AVC, H.263/3GPP, RealVideo 8/9/10
• Integrated Assisted Global Positioning System (A-GPS)
• Pre-installed Nokia Maps application and free downloadable maps*
* The service is available free of charge, although any data transferred over the network will incur charges from your network operator. To check the availability and cost of the service, contact your network operator or service provider.
• Easy-to-use e-mail client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents
• Compatible with Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W (sold separately)
• Full web browser support (HTML)
• Play video, music and photos on home media network - compatible TV, stereo and PC over WLAN/UPnP
• Personal Information Management (PIM)
• Advanced S60 PIM features including calendar, contacts, to-do list and PIM printing
• Settings Wizard for easy configuration of e-mail, push to talk and video sharing
• Data transfer application for transfer of PIM information from other compatible Nokia devices.
• WLAN wizard
• Integrated wireless LAN (802.11 b/g) and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
• Bluetooth wireless technology with A2DP stereo audio
• USB 2.0 via Micro USB interface and mass storage class support to support drag and drop functionality
• 3.5 mm stereo headphone plug(Nokia AV Connector)and TV out support (PAL/NTSC)
• Nokia Nseries PC Suite connectivity with USB, and Bluetooth wireless technology
• Local synchronisation of contacts and calendar to a compatible PC using compatible connection
• Remote over-the-air synchronisation
• Send and receive images, video clips, graphics, and business cards via Bluetooth wireless technology
When you buy the phone you get the following in the box
• Nokia N82
• Nokia Battery BP-6MT
• Nokia Travel Charger AC-5
• Nokia Music Headset HS-43
• Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-101
• Nokia Video Connectivity Cable CA-75U
• Nokia 2GB microSD Card MU-37**
conclusions ( so far )
The built in gps works perfectly and gets the signal within seconds , the phone comes with nokia maps included with a free 3 month trial , but i found the application not as handy as tomtom or route 66 to use .
With the latest route 66 version 8 which now has support for built in gps phones as well as the older phones that require the loose gps unit . version 8 is as quick to pick up the gps as any other software the built in gps finds the satellites quicker than the bluetooth version from tomtom which is also an added bonus .
The phone comes with a 5mp camera with a real flash and photos are crisp and sharp , even taking a photo in the dark gives you a clear and sharp image something htc need to work on .
The phone comes with the latest symbian software which includes a video centre which contains apart from your own videos also utube and internet videos which can be updated to include more services.
The music map comes with a music player and the nokia podcasting application , which sadly cannot find the modaco podcast mainly due to the podcast not being available on all the services as all the other podcasters are on , hopfully paul will update this and make the podcast available to all and not a selected few. There is also a nokia music store as well which is simular to itunes but nokia owned , at the moment the music store is not available in all the countrys but the uk version is live and offers downloads and even free tracks as well.
The device also has a nice screen flipping extra , when the phone is turn on its side the screen switches to that which gives a wide screen vision .
The phone comes with 3g and hspda as well as wifi so you are covered on all your internet needs.
With stereo speakers it makes watching a film or video enjoyable as well.
The most important thing is battery life with heavy use i have managed to get 3 days on a single charge , by using the phone for phone calls and checking emails and surfing the net for 30 minutes i have managed to get 5 days on a single charge this increases to 8 days if the 3g mode is switched off and only the gsm is used.
So far iam impressed with the preformance of the phone its fast and has a great camera and a good battery life with support for a mico sd to 8gb as well , it features all the requirements i require and as yet there is no windows mobile phone that tops it , when that comes i will most probably jump back on the windows mobile , but htc have along way to go to catch up.