dezmo

dezmo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire DeFroST 6.xx
Hope some tmc datas are coming yet to virtual com port.... ?! :lol:

Why shorting and displaying by Family name are not working properly in ANDROID?

balles

balles

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i900 - 16 Gb
BeamRider, I must say "chapeau" for your works!

Effectively, as you explained, there is no COM port for FM tuner, this is why I could not access to it with DecoRDS. Emulating a virtual port and the Realtek protocol seems a very good solution, so thanks for your efforts!

Nevertheless I have a question not concerning software but hardware... is it possible to receive RDS data when a car charging cable is connected?

Radio FM says that the earphones are not connected, so if I correctly understand you have to make a choice: either work with the internal battery and have RDS/TMC, either use car charger and have no traffic info. Is there any other solution?

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000 (8GB)

BeamRider, I must say "chapeau" for your works!

Nevertheless I have a question not concerning software but hardware... is it possible to receive RDS data when a car charging cable is connected?

Thank you, I'm just sharing some knowledge (hope some piece of code very soon).

Your question should be split in two:

1. Should be possible to activate the radio without the earphone connected? YES: both tuner and driver play with audio config. I found some code inside the driver that uses audio API to look for something related to "AudioOutput" (any guess?? two possibilities: speaker routing, antenna check) but I am leaving this for the second round :D

2. Will we receive stations without the earjack (or with just the usb charger) plugged? Maybe: extending the ground plane of the Omnia by connecting the charging cable may help, but I think is will not be enough ... Some SI4704/5/6 doesn't need an external antenna but I think that Omnia uses SI4709 (will check soon), in addition what is the logic of checking for the antenna if you're using a device that doesn't need any?
In my understandig we need to connect both earjack lines (ground and signal) to provide a reliable antenna to the FM tuner ... We can try to build an antenna that doen't activate audio routing (by simply attaching two wires to the right pins) and embed chargin lines in the same cable. Nothing complex to do, anyway, I don't have a spare Omnia connector to play with (also planned for the second round).

A little update regarding the driver: I concluded that the driver is not exposing any call to access raw RDS data, but I've found a "reusable" part of the code. Thinking about ... ehmm *cough* ehmm ... let's say ... replace it with something that can be useful to us. In the worst case, I have sufficient knowledge of this driver to start writing my own (but this will take a lot).

And my point about the whole thing: (someone may want to skip from this point on ;) ) too bad that Samsung is not leaving full access to a so powerful (and beautyful) piece of hardware :lol: Take a look to what Google is doing with Android (and what Apple is not doing with the iPhone) ... Google approach just rocks! I'm not accusing anybody, just seems that the driver (specific case) was written in a hurry and I understand what commercial pressure is. I really like this product, it has anything that I ever wanted ... missing only a good device specific SDK (generic case).

Edited by BeamRider, 28 October 2008 - 02:39 PM.

OmniaTMC Beta 1 has been released ... take a look here
If you like this project and want to support its development, please donate

dezmo

dezmo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Dear BeamRider, do you have any news? :lol:

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Dear BeamRider, do you have any news? :lol:

Tonight I'll be off-duty :D , but yesterday I wrote the code for the new driver and embedded the original one in the project. Will test it tomorrow ... then, if everithing will work as expected, I'll move to the virtual com port driver (for which I already have a skeleton).

dezmo

dezmo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Tonight I'll be off-duty :lol: , but yesterday I wrote the code for the new driver and embedded the original one in the project. Will test it tomorrow ... then, if everithing will work as expected, I'll move to the virtual com port driver (for which I already have a skeleton).

WoW.
Have nice evening/night!! :D

paullong

paullong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Tonight I'll be off-duty :lol: , but yesterday I wrote the code for the new driver and embedded the original one in the project. Will test it tomorrow ... then, if everithing will work as expected, I'll move to the virtual com port driver (for which I already have a skeleton).

Hi BeamRider,

I'm just adding myself to the list of people hoping you manage this. What a great project! This will be an amazing addition to my Omnia.

Thanks,

Paul

dezmo

dezmo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Dear BeamRider,
Do you have any news? :lol:

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
Yes, I'm a litte bit behind my schedule due to some workplace commitments, but I succeded in compiling the driver: since I have not so much experience in ARM assembler I had some syntactical issues to face.

The solution adopted was to wrap the old one, modify the code and export the symbols needed.
It's quite intrusive in respect what I had planned (hoped) but cleaner and more scalable than an hex hack. I think that a complete rewrite of the driver will be a very good thing, but not my target atm.

The driver loads and initializes correctly, but ... at 3:15 I was sleeping in front of the monitor and wan't able to go further.

It's raining outside, so I have plenty of time today <_< :lol:

dezmo

dezmo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Yes, I'm a litte bit behind my schedule due to some workplace commitments, but I succeded in compiling the driver: since I have not so much experience in ARM assembler I had some syntactical issues to face.

The solution adopted was to wrap the old one, modify the code and export the symbols needed.
It's quite intrusive in respect what I had planned (hoped) but cleaner and more scalable than an hex hack. I think that a complete rewrite of the driver will be a very good thing, but not my target atm.

The driver loads and initializes correctly, but ... at 3:15 I was sleeping in front of the monitor and wan't able to go further.

It's raining outside, so I have plenty of time today <_< :lol:

There is sun in our sky... I can send you some sunshine :D virtually...
Have a nice day!
Keep up the work, as your timescedule allowing. ;)

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
After a couple of device hard resets (buggy code :lol: :D ) the driver is installed inside my Omnia ... still having problems, but the worst part is now gone. As you can see from the log below, the driver is loaded initialised and started. and I just having problems on tune (the bold part is quite explicit).

FM Radio - resource allocation, success
FM Radio - InitializeFMRadioThread, success
FM Radio - Init, done v001J1
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00032180]
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x00032180] dwCode[0x00321000]
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00032BC0]
FM Radio - Close, hOpenContext[0x00032BC0]
FM Radio - si470x_tune, intr failed
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00817B30]
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0]
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0] dwCode[0x00220004]
FM Radio - IOCTL_FMRADIO_TURN_ON, region[1]
FM Radio - IOControl, failed
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0] dwCode[0x010303FF]
FM Radio - IOControl failed, already turned off
FM Radio - Close, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0]

Note that these are the logs from the original code (the original log is done trough NKDbgPrintfW) that I'm writing to a log file (kernel debug is not available on our devices). RDS functionality is already present in my driver, but I can't tune...
Now it's time to look at what's going wrong!!!

Edited by BeamRider, 07 November 2008 - 10:04 PM.

bobobird

bobobird

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Devices:i900
BeamRider - fingers crossed..

nok6280a

nok6280a

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:i900
Men you are really good!

paullong

paullong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

After a couple of device hard resets (buggy code B) B) ) the driver is installed inside my Omnia ... still having problems, but the worst part is now gone. As you can see from the log below, the driver is loaded initialised and started. and I just having problems on tune (the bold part is quite explicit).

FM Radio - resource allocation, success
FM Radio - InitializeFMRadioThread, success
FM Radio - Init, done v001J1
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00032180]
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x00032180] dwCode[0x00321000]
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00032BC0]
FM Radio - Close, hOpenContext[0x00032BC0]
FM Radio - si470x_tune, intr failed
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x00817B30]
FM Radio - Open, hDeviceContext[0x00000001] hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0]
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0] dwCode[0x00220004]
FM Radio - IOCTL_FMRADIO_TURN_ON, region[1]
FM Radio - IOControl, failed
FM Radio - IOControl, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0] dwCode[0x010303FF]
FM Radio - IOControl failed, already turned off
FM Radio - Close, hOpenContext[0x0038B0E0]

Note that these are the logs from the original code (the original log is done trough NKDbgPrintfW) that I'm writing to a log file (kernel debug is not available on our devices). RDS functionality is already present in my driver, but I can't tune...
Now it's time to look at what's going wrong!!!

I'm so impressed! This is great work BeamRider, this will be an amazing use of the Omnia's h/w. Why can't they make this easier for us all in the first place?

Can't wait to see what happens here!

Paul

minhgi

minhgi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i900
very nice indeed...I be watching your project progress from now on...damn..I wish I could help you out =)

robertut

robertut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
What ROM version are you developing on?

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

What ROM version are you developing on?

XIHH5/HH9 (the one that came with my device)

balles

balles

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
BeamRider, did you resolve the tuning problems? All your "tifosi" are waiting! B)

BeamRider

BeamRider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
Not yet, but closing ... It's a tuner init problem, apperars that the tuner chip is not communicating after initialisation. It's funny because I'm using the same code of the original (when I say same I really mean same). That's the knid of problem I tried to avoid just because I don't know much about Omnia hardware.

I'm not posting detailed updates beacuse it's time to better look at the hardware layer (that's a lot of fun but not of a much interest to this thread) ... maybe some low leve guru can help me in sorting out things: are there any documentation about the buses and memory mapped registers?

Don't worry, I spent too much time in this project to leave it now B)

balles

balles

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Not yet, but closing ... It's a tuner init problem, apperars that the tuner chip is not communicating after initialisation. It's funny because I'm using the same code of the original (when I say same I really mean same). That's the knid of problem I tried to avoid just because I don't know much about Omnia hardware.

I'm not posting detailed updates beacuse it's time to better look at the hardware layer (that's a lot of fun but not of a much interest to this thread) ... maybe some low leve guru can help me in sorting out things: are there any documentation about the buses and memory mapped registers?

Don't worry, I spent too much time in this project to leave it now B)

I don't know if this is what you need (intel XScale info)...

PXA320 Summary : http://embedded-seo....controller.html
XScale debug manual (emulator manual, maybe there is some useful info for you): http://www.abatron.c...DBXSC-2000C.pdf
Intel's XScale datasheet : ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxsca...eDatasheet4.pdf
PXA270 Architecture info (in French but I can translate it to you if you need it) : http://www.oraux.be/...-.2006.v3ar.pdf

Let me know if it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users