TMC

Guest osuijk

Guest osuijk

Does any one know how to enable TMC on the Omnia? When i start IGO8 it finds the TMC hardware, but gets no signal....Even when i plugin the headset to recieve radio, still no signal....

Guest turzol
Does any one know how to enable TMC on the Omnia? When i start IGO8 it finds the TMC hardware, but gets no signal....Even when i plugin the headset to recieve radio, still no signal....

There is no TMC build in Omnia hardware

In theory it has an FM tuner..this is what the TMC is transmitted in....further investigation needed.

My Omnia coming 2moro.....whoo hoo

Guest bobobird

With the antenna plugged in - igo8 will search through, at one point will ask to install a dll and at a later point will say tmc detected and then go on to test for a fm signal.

There are no tmc services where I am so the tuner just stays at 0.0 mhz.

Perhaps can be tested by someone who lives in one of the euro countries??

The omnia hardware (chipset) does not support TMC. IGO just sees every FM tuner as a possible TMC receiver.

TMC is not going to work, because it cannot decode the TMC signals/data.

Edited by DeOS

Guest lastnikita

I wonder what additional HW is needed.. my iGo doesn't recognize any TMC hardware btw, and I don't think it would detect any FM tuner as TMC.. I also had FM in xda flame and no TMC detected.

Guest BeamRider

There's NO need for extra hardware to obtain TMC data if you have an RDS decoder in the FM radio section (Omnia has RDS). TMC data is a channel of RDS transmission just like station name, TA, ... I'm looking for fm radio API, spcs or whatever is available to start playing with it.

Guest mirnamir
I wonder what additional HW is needed.. my iGo doesn't recognize any TMC hardware btw, and I don't think it would detect any FM tuner as TMC.. I also had FM in xda flame and no TMC detected.

I got from the german samsung support following answer: "The function you want TMC is at the SGH-I900 Omnia foreseened."

iGO found an software tmc modul:"RDS_GPSTMC_SILICONLAB", but the tunning still standing at 0,0 MHz (headset or carloading cabel for antenna is connected).

This is the entry in at the iGO8 save.ini:

[tmc]

saved_config_available="1"

saved_config_classname="RDS_GPSTMC_SILICONLAB"

saved_config_portname="COM"

saved_config_port="3"

saved_last_tuning_mode="1"

I think the software is not realy ready, this must be a bug, also route66 do not found RDS-tmc.

If I call the support, the guy also said: "The tmc-function is included."

Than I have changed the software-gps-port (switched to port 4) and it do not work also.

In Russian forums, there is also a hot discussion but unfortunately no solution for this problem.

mirnamir

Guest robertut
There's NO need for extra hardware to obtain TMC data if you have an RDS decoder in the FM radio section (Omnia has RDS). TMC data is a channel of RDS transmission just like station name, TA, ... I'm looking for fm radio API, spcs or whatever is available to start playing with it.
Yes that's the way to go!

There is DecoRDS that can extract TMC data from an FM RDS receiver. I still need to check it, but as far as I know, it works with TomTom. Maybe with iGO...

Fur further information:

In French: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92857

In Spanish: http://foro.todopocketpc.com/showthread.php?t=131911

In English: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/post.as...amp;FORUM_ID=79

Edited by balles

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeamRider

I will try to clarify the whole thing: Omnia has a builtin FM/RDS receiver (a Silicon Labs SI420x series) and a GPS receiver (I think a Qualcomm, but it's of a little interest). These are two separate devices with separate drivers and interfaces, while a GPS/TMC receiver uses a single interface (a COM port) to control both.

DecoRDS simply opens the COM port, sends init and tuning commands, listens for RDS data that are mixed with GPS and decodes them, but it expects a RDS/TMC device plugged to the com port. In my understanding, we have no COM port linked to FM radio driver, we have no data mixer between the GPS and the FM Radio, so it's impossible to use any nav software or RDSDeco to access TMC as is.

I will try to clarify the whole thing: Omnia has a builtin FM/RDS receiver (a Silicon Labs SI420x series) and a GPS receiver (I think a Qualcomm, but it's of a little interest). These are two separate devices with separate drivers and interfaces, while a GPS/TMC receiver uses a single interface (a COM port) to control both.

DecoRDS simply opens the COM port, sends init and tuning commands, listens for RDS data that are mixed with GPS and decodes them, but it expects a RDS/TMC device plugged to the com port. In my understanding, we have no COM port linked to FM radio driver, we have no data mixer between the GPS and the FM Radio, so it's impossible to use any nav software or RDSDeco to access TMC as is.

amen

Guest BeamRider
amen

Maybe I was a little bit "definitive" and wasn't my intention :D

I mean that reading and mixing TMC data is still possible, but additional software and "hacking" of the original FM Radio driver is needed ... I'm reverse engineering the driver to better understand its possibilities. The driver appears to be pretty hardcoded on its features, but just 10 minutes ago I've found where it stores raw RDS blocks (4 RDS blocks = a RDS group that is the basic RDS packet), but still I can't acces them from an user application in a clean way.

Keep this thread and the interest for the subject on, I'm (slowly) approaching a solution :lol:

Maybe I was a little bit "definitive" and wasn't my intention ;)

I mean that reading and mixing TMC data is still possible, but additional software and "hacking" of the original FM Radio driver is needed ... I'm reverse engineering the driver to better understand its possibilities. The driver appears to be pretty hardcoded on its features, but just 10 minutes ago I've found where it stores raw RDS blocks (4 RDS blocks = a RDS group that is the basic RDS packet), but still I can't acces them from an user application in a clean way.

Keep this thread and the interest for the subject on, I'm (slowly) approaching a solution :D

Just go ahed, please!

However I'm not a programmer and can not help in code, but...: Eten g500 have a "same" application that we looking for... http://www.herait.dk/download/eten/Patch/G...00_FM_Tuner.zip

Inside this zip there is a RDSTMC.dll. I just view it with F3 in total commander and there are interesting strings:

" ..._GetCommPortHandle RTTMC_GetDllVersion RTTMC_GetRDSDateTime RTTMC_GetRDSRadiotext RTTMC_GetRDSStation RTTMC_GetRdsSignalQuality RTTMC_GetTMCStatus RTTMC_GetTunerFrequency RTTMC_GetVersion RTTMC_Init RTTMC_ReOpenCommPort RTTMC_ReOpenTMCCommPort RTTMC_ReadGGASentence RTTMC_ReadGLLSentence RTTMC_ReadGSASentence RTTMC_ReadGSVSentence RTTMC_ReadRMCSentence RTTMC_ReadVTGSentence RTTMC_SetTunerServiceType RTTMC_StopFreqSearch RTTMC_TMCComPort RTTMC_Uninit "

Maybe you can implement it to OMNIA ??!! :lol:

Guest BeamRider
One more thing that may help, regarding DecoRds...

http://www.forum.pocketnavigation.de/threa...?postid=1703502

Thank your for the info. Actually I'm working at a lower level: I plan not to replace behaviour on software, but to emulate the whole device so there will be no need to know the API used by single software vendors to obtain compatibility. If I succed, the emulted device should be compatible with any application that supports GNS / Realtek protocol.

GNS is one of the major RDS/TMC devices vendor: TT sold a GNS device whit their PDA nav some year ago, IGO, Navigon and RDSDeco support it :lol: Relatek is also well known ... but I know better GNS and will start with it.

Anyway, once I can get RDS data from the driver, possibilities become unlimited.

I took a look at the software you posted and the dll "says" that the Eten g500 uses a Realtek device.

Thank your for the info. Actually I'm working at a lower level: I plan not to replace behaviour on software, but to emulate the whole device so there will be no need to know the API used by single software vendors to obtain compatibility. If I succed, the emulted device should be compatible with any application that supports GNS / Realtek protocol.

GNS is one of the major RDS/TMC devices vendor: TT sold a GNS device whit their PDA nav some year ago, IGO, Navigon and RDSDeco support it :D Relatek is also well known ... but I know better GNS and will start with it.

Anyway, once I can get RDS data from the driver, possibilities become unlimited.

I took a look at the software you posted and the dll "says" that the Eten g500 uses a Realtek device.

GNS for me is good... ;)

Off:

One more thing that may help :P : I promised on other forum (hungarian), if somebody make working internal TMC on Omnia, I'll invite for a big state diner... :o . It is still alive! The question is where and when? :lol:

Guest BeamRider
GNS for me is good... :o

Off:

One more thing that may help :D : I promised on other forum (hungarian), if somebody make working internal TMC on Omnia, I'll invite for a big state diner... :P . It is still alive! The question is where and when? :lol:

That's the way that motivation flows :D too bad we live so far.

Going technical: in the worst case I have to rewrite the whole driver (leading to some driver signing problems to face <_< ) but ... just stay "tuned" ( :D :P ;) ) I'm working on it almost every night and I'll use this thread to update everyone.

BeamRider, I must say "chapeau" for your works!

Effectively, as you explained, there is no COM port for FM tuner, this is why I could not access to it with DecoRDS. Emulating a virtual port and the Realtek protocol seems a very good solution, so thanks for your efforts!

Nevertheless I have a question not concerning software but hardware... is it possible to receive RDS data when a car charging cable is connected?

Radio FM says that the earphones are not connected, so if I correctly understand you have to make a choice: either work with the internal battery and have RDS/TMC, either use car charger and have no traffic info. Is there any other solution?

Guest BeamRider
BeamRider, I must say "chapeau" for your works!

Nevertheless I have a question not concerning software but hardware... is it possible to receive RDS data when a car charging cable is connected?

Thank you, I'm just sharing some knowledge (hope some piece of code very soon).

Your question should be split in two:

1. Should be possible to activate the radio without the earphone connected? YES: both tuner and driver play with audio config. I found some code inside the driver that uses audio API to look for something related to "AudioOutput" (any guess?? two possibilities: speaker routing, antenna check) but I am leaving this for the second round :D

2. Will we receive stations without the earjack (or with just the usb charger) plugged? Maybe: extending the ground plane of the Omnia by connecting the charging cable may help, but I think is will not be enough ... Some SI4704/5/6 doesn't need an external antenna but I think that Omnia uses SI4709 (will check soon), in addition what is the logic of checking for the antenna if you're using a device that doesn't need any?

In my understandig we need to connect both earjack lines (ground and signal) to provide a reliable antenna to the FM tuner ... We can try to build an antenna that doen't activate audio routing (by simply attaching two wires to the right pins) and embed chargin lines in the same cable. Nothing complex to do, anyway, I don't have a spare Omnia connector to play with (also planned for the second round).

A little update regarding the driver: I concluded that the driver is not exposing any call to access raw RDS data, but I've found a "reusable" part of the code. Thinking about ... ehmm *cough* ehmm ... let's say ... replace it with something that can be useful to us. In the worst case, I have sufficient knowledge of this driver to start writing my own (but this will take a lot).

And my point about the whole thing: (someone may want to skip from this point on ;) ) too bad that Samsung is not leaving full access to a so powerful (and beautyful) piece of hardware :lol: Take a look to what Google is doing with Android (and what Apple is not doing with the iPhone) ... Google approach just rocks! I'm not accusing anybody, just seems that the driver (specific case) was written in a hurry and I understand what commercial pressure is. I really like this product, it has anything that I ever wanted ... missing only a good device specific SDK (generic case).

Edited by BeamRider

Guest BeamRider
Dear BeamRider, do you have any news? :lol:

Tonight I'll be off-duty :D , but yesterday I wrote the code for the new driver and embedded the original one in the project. Will test it tomorrow ... then, if everithing will work as expected, I'll move to the virtual com port driver (for which I already have a skeleton).