Verizon Omnia update likely coming soon

Guest AngusATAT

Guest Tim-H
BTW, when did VZW release the Omnia? (and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, just stating facts and opinions)

It was the last week of november/first week of december. I ordered it online the day after it was released for $250 with a mail in $50 rebate and 2 year contract. I don't want to go get my receipt so i dont have the exact date for you.

It really does seem like Verizon wants to sweep the Omnia under the carpet and pretend it never happened. A couple weeks ago they had it down to $99 with a 2 year contract. I see its back up +$100, but the half started an ad campaign for it, then just went balls in on the Storm and did a full stop on the Omnia advertisement. Now, any commercials i see on the Omnia makes it look more like a normal phone, like the Dare but more expensive. I'm not sure what they are doing but I get the feeling if they could do it over, they wouldn't have released the Omnia at all.

Guest RavrSimba

Those of you complaining about Verizon pushing out updates: Verizon is picky for a reason, if it has issues then they will not release it. As they are very customer service orientated, they will not push buggy software out to current customers. Of course they want their VZnav software to work on the update as it is a huge source of revenue but not only that, many many customers are extremely satisfied with VZnav. It is a solid GPS software solution that provides all of the features you'd come to expect with a high end navigation unit.

Verizon is not the type to throw out an update and just simply put it off. Believe it or not, they do want their customers to be happy. As the largest carrier in the US, obviously they are doing something right.

As a major account manager for Verizon Wireless and having formerly worked with the Verizon dev team, I can tell you they are always hard at work. They are also extremely picky even when it comes to the smallest of bugs...

Take the BlackBerry storm for example, the launch OS was extremely slow but it still did what it needed to accomplish. They were one of the last to push out an update and rejected many that RIM had sent to them. As they were simply too buggy.

Guest blazingwolf
Those of you complaining about Verizon pushing out updates: Verizon is picky for a reason, if it has issues then they will not release it. As they are very customer service orientated, they will not push buggy software out to current customers. Of course they want their VZnav software to work on the update as it is a huge source of revenue but not only that, many many customers are extremely satisfied with VZnav. It is a solid GPS software solution that provides all of the features you'd come to expect with a high end navigation unit.

Verizon is not the type to throw out an update and just simply put it off. Believe it or not, they do want their customers to be happy. As the largest carrier in the US, obviously they are doing something right.

As a major account manager for Verizon Wireless and having formerly worked with the Verizon dev team, I can tell you they are always hard at work. They are also extremely picky even when it comes to the smallest of bugs...

Take the BlackBerry storm for example, the launch OS was extremely slow but it still did what it needed to accomplish. They were one of the last to push out an update and rejected many that RIM had sent to them. As they were simply too buggy.

Your joking right? Almost all of the software Verizon pushes out the door is buggy and a memory hog. Why do you think that is one of the first things that gets removed in cooked ROMs?

Take that BB Storm for example. It was released with major bugs and is just now starting to recover from them thanks to an update that is already out of date.

Edited by blazingwolf

Guest waynesterdude

being practical , vzw really doesnt need to push out many updates, as far as biz is concerned

i know of 2 people with a dare and voyager, both are 3 updates behind on their phones

with the omnia hd and the omnia 2 already in forums ,

making a few thousand org omnia fans happy with an update is prob not a top concern, promised or not

that being said,

vzw is releasing the htc ozone with unlocked gps

now is it just htc is easier to "open" , since the pro has been unlocked with update ?

and yes i am one of those few thousand that want my omnia update

Guest thetwiztidfreak
being practical , vzw really doesnt need to push out many updates, as far as biz is concerned

i know of 2 people with a dare and voyager, both are 3 updates behind on their phones

with the omnia hd and the omnia 2 already in forums ,

making a few thousand org omnia fans happy with an update is prob not a top concern, promised or not

that being said,

vzw is releasing the htc ozone with unlocked gps

now is it just htc is easier to "open" , since the pro has been unlocked with update ?

and yes i am one of those few thousand that want my omnia update

Why would you want a update from verizon anyways? the cooked roms are so much better. guarante the verizon update wont have windows 6.5 on it.and the update WILL be released some day. look how many BB storm updates leaked online before each of the ones that verizon released. And if it does not get releaed it was never actually announced in advertising or anything that an update was coming. it was just an email or something from verizon that said they were going to release an update to unlock GPS. and i tottaly agree that MOST people do not do the updates. When customers come to my store 90% of them never even herd of updates for their phones.

Guest snake8b

True most people don't update, but everyone buying the phone after the update will have the update. I'm sure that's more than a few thousand.

Guest balaams_ass
Why would you want a update from verizon anyways? the cooked roms are so much better. guarante the verizon update wont have windows 6.5 on it.and the update WILL be released some day. look how many BB storm updates leaked online before each of the ones that verizon released. And if it does not get releaed it was never actually announced in advertising or anything that an update was coming. it was just an email or something from verizon that said they were going to release an update to unlock GPS. and i tottaly agree that MOST people do not do the updates. When customers come to my store 90% of them never even herd of updates for their phones.

A Verizon update quite probably will have other radio improvements that were not in the C220 version. Upgrade and then load your favorite chef's offering. Personally I'm using WoZZer's lite with SBP MS 3 but am thinking about trying Adryn's ROM in the near future.

Just some info... I was on the phone with verizon tech support yesterday for about 1-2 hours yesterday because of an issue with my omnia (touch screen). After explaining my issue they decided to send me another, which would be the 4th omnia i've owned since joining verizon. During the whole troubleshooting script they have (which seems to be the same regardless of the issue) the tech had asked me if i checked for any "software updates" and before i could answer she mentioned (or thought out loud) that there was an update that would "resolve most of the bugs with the phone" and mumbled june ?(i wasn't able to hear her). She said since it had not been released, i would have to just get the refurb. However, i told her that regardless of the update it would still have a defective touch panel. I just want to clarify that i did not ask about the update and i was calling about a real issue i was having. It was interesting that she had mentioned it.

--

Guest Adrynalyne
It WOULD come as a download via their website. They wouldn't actually advertise the update though.

I have it on good information though that there will not be an official update released by Verizon due in part because of the lack of customer complaints about the issue (Presumably because the leaked ROM is all over and takes care of the problem). Also because of the impending release of the Omnia II series.

Saga rom was released yesterday.

Worried about eating these words?

:D

Guest Turborepu

you must have gotten a pretty high up position in VZW to be able to talk to people who actually know about these things. :D

Guest Adrynalyne

He excels at his job. He's been there two weeks. A lot can happen in two weeks :D

Im just messing with you necosino, but seriously, if you are in a call center or retail store, you arent getting the full story. Not even half. Maybe not even a quarter. Most Verizon employees get their info online, and unless they have it in writing etc, deny the existence of anything. For good reason too, it could get them fired if they released sensitive information, or held the company to a standard it couldnt keep.

Edited by Adrynalyne

i just hope for your sake that you are right (not really) - because if your not, it would be a blow to your rep (for someone who 110% confirms that no update is coming). there's still a few more days in june and i'll be waiting. I'm not trying to diss anyone. I'm just saying...

Guest necosino

Well, unless my superiors are just blatently lying to me, it's THEIR rep that will be blown, lol..

I would imagine if they were just not going to tell people, they would say something like "We can't disclose that at this time," right?

Edited by necosino

Guest balaams_ass
Well, unless my superiors are just blatently lying to me, it's THEIR rep that will be blown, lol..

I would imagine if they were just not going to tell people, they would say something like "We can't disclose that at this time," right?

Bah can't trust Upstaters.

Guest Adrynalyne

We will see.

necosino has also claimed in the past that the cc20 leak came from a Verizon employee, when I know for a fact that it did not. (azintegra lives ~1 mile away from me).

Time will tell, no point in trusting what Verizon has to say now, or even in the future.

Guest necosino
We will see.

necosino has also claimed in the past that the cc20 leak came from a Verizon employee, when I know for a fact that it did not. (azintegra lives ~1 mile away from me).

Time will tell, no point in trusting what Verizon has to say now, or even in the future.

Could you find that post for me? Azintegra said he is/was a samsung employee. I have never claimed that he was from VZW. I've given him credit for anything I posted relating to the CC20 release, and never mentioned VZW in relation to it.

So this might be dumb, but if there wasn't an update, why would "they" go around saying anything at all. Why not just ignore it. Now with that said, do "they" just walk around to all the white collar folks and just randomly discuss software updates and such?

Guest Adrynalyne
Could you find that post for me? Azintegra said he is/was a samsung employee. I have never claimed that he was from VZW. I've given him credit for anything I posted relating to the CC20 release, and never mentioned VZW in relation to it.

That was actually a typo. I meant to say Samsung. Thanks for catching that.

The point remains. He is not a Samsung employee. How do I know? He is practically a neighbor, that just recently graduated high school LOL.

Don't always believe what you are told. He may have said that, and I don't feel like sifting through the threads for it, but he is not.

Clearly.

Guest necosino
So this might be dumb, but if there wasn't an update, why would "they" go around saying anything at all. Why not just ignore it. Now with that said, do "they" just walk around to all the white collar folks and just randomly discuss software updates and such?

Again, I'm not white collar :D

No, I'm in a white-collar position far from a sales floor or call center :D

sarcasm, I'm guessing? But that's not the point...

-sorry about the post, i'm a little slow.

Edited by sd1