Verizon Omnia update likely coming soon

Guest AngusATAT

Guest AngusATAT
Might mean something or it might mean nothing at all. This is Verizon we are talking about.

True. But since they promised and delivered GPS unlock on other smartphones, I doubt they'll leave us out of it.

I wonder what a firmwear update will mean for you ROM cooker types. :D

Guest necosino

As I've said before, and will say again..

Chances are VZW will push back the update since it was never officially reported in a news release or otherwise (thus not promised). They'll push it back more and more until they eventually say that since the Omnia is an old phone, it's not worth the resources to support it, and no update will be released at all.

Guest Adrynalyne
As I've said before, and will say again..

Chances are VZW will push back the update since it was never officially reported in a news release or otherwise (thus not promised). They'll push it back more and more until they eventually say that since the Omnia is an old phone, it's not worth the resources to support it, and no update will be released at all.

Right. Verizon just wasted money to get beta roms made, just to dump it.

That makes no sense at all.

Guest lambi1982

I'm with you :D

They are just real slow at things like this.

Guest Eschelon

Using common sense, I would think an update is coming out very soon.

Verizon's largest obstacle was that they couldn't get their own navigation software (likely due to the encryption algorithm used by VZNav) to work with the unlocked GPS updates (CC20, for example) on their WinMo phones - and Verizon is NOT going to release a GPS unlock if their own software doesn't work with it as they don't want to lose the money stream. But now that Verizon has released an official firmware update for the TouchPro, it would appear that they have resolved this issue.

Also, it doesn't make sense for Verizon to release a GPS unlock for one of their WinMo phones and not the other.

Guest xpilesx

word...we can only hope they don't suck that much...

Guest blazingwolf

Umm, yeah. They have done it before.

Guest Adrynalyne
Umm, yeah. They have done it before.

I can't think of any beta roms that didnt make it into some sort of release. What are you referring to?

Guest blazingwolf
I can't think of any beta roms that didnt make it into some sort of release. What are you referring to?

Couple of earlier phones I have had. They started projects for them and had updates but never distributed them. Why? Who knows as they never officially acknowledge the existence of then updates.

Guest Entity

I doubt it's going to be anytime soon. (just look at how long they took to release the storm update). Plus, calling cs is useless to get info on the updates, because Vzw wont alert us of an update until the week before its released.

Guest Paul_Bunyan

Well, back when they first announced that they were going unlock the GPS, they specifically said that they would roll out the new ROM in the first half of 2009 and and stated that it would initially be for the HTC Touch Pro, Omnia i910, and that other Samsung phone...The Saga, I think?

So yeah, I would definitely take this to mean that the Omnia's update is just around the corner...hopefully!

Guest MrOmnia81

man I hope the update is just around the corner.... They should never lock a receiver down again... what if radio had just come out.... they would've locked the fm radio to only tune into their fm stations... this is dumb!!!! I hope they learn a lesson from this and never do it again with another technology in the future. GPS... let freedom ring!

Guest Tim-H
man I hope the update is just around the corner.... They should never lock a receiver down again... what if radio had just come out.... they would've locked the fm radio to only tune into their fm stations... this is dumb!!!! I hope they learn a lesson from this and never do it again with another technology in the future. GPS... let freedom ring!

I wouldn't expect that to happen. I would expect them to not pick up as many phones with a built in gps system, or custom order the phones without them.

On a good note, it seems like since they have made their network the best coverage in the US so far, they are finally starting to put some money into getting nicer more "up to date" phones. Definitely will be interesting to see what comes in the next couple years.

Guest MrOmnia81
I wouldn't expect that to happen. I would expect them to not pick up as many phones with a built in gps system, or custom order the phones without them.

On a good note, it seems like since they have made their network the best coverage in the US so far, they are finally starting to put some money into getting nicer more "up to date" phones. Definitely will be interesting to see what comes in the next couple years.

I just moved from Sprint over to Verizon b/c sprint's bills were more then likely to get out of control very easily plus everyone I know has verizon. There is one thing with sprint... they don't really lock their phones down. I've had two Sprint Treos and never had any issues with some of the specs not operating fully b/c they would like to make another small profit off of me.

Imagine my surprise when I get my omnia and expect to beable to use my GPS freely only to find out they've "enslaved" the gps radio. Then they want to charge you $10 dollars a month for an app that looks like it was created by a 4th grader, not to mention there are hundreds of free gps services including tom tom and garmin. You may pay 120 and up for those devices but that's for the life of the product and a one time fee. Paying verizon $240 dollars over a 2 year contract for a crappy gps service is highway robbery.

They are really making me think about returning to Sprint and getting a Palm Pre.

Edited by MrOmnia81

Guest Tim-H
I just moved from Sprint over to Verizon b/c sprint's bills were more then likely to get out of control very easily plus everyone I know has verizon. There is one thing with sprint... they don't really lock their phones down. I've had two Sprint Treos and never had any issues with some of the specs not operating fully b/c they would like to make another small profit off of me.

Imagine my surprise when I get my omnia and expect to beable to use my GPS freely only to find out they've "enslaved" the gps radio. Then they want to charge you $10 dollars a month for an app that looks like it was created by a 4th grader, not to mention there are hundreds of free gps services including tom tom and garmin. You may pay 120 and up for those devices but that's for the life of the product and a one time fee. Paying verizon $240 dollars over a 2 year contract for a crappy gps service is highway robbery.

They are really making me think about returning to Sprint and getting a Palm Pre.

Well, generally, if it is a great phone at the core, there will be an even greater user base behind it. Looking for any way they can to unlock the things that should be available in the first place. Like the guys that are cooking up the ROMs. Doing an amazing job. It took a while, and a lucky break on a leaked ROM, but now the features are available to us, at a reasonable price on an amazing wireless network.

Verizon shouldn't be locking things down, but MOST of the time there are ways around it. It doesn't make it right, but somewhat bearable to stay with them.

Edited by Tim-H

Guest necosino

Plus, isn't it nice to get that high of being able to think to yourself, "Yeah, take that Big Red, you commi SOB"

I know that makes it all worth it.. :D

Guest MrOmnia81
Plus, isn't it nice to get that high of being able to think to yourself, "Yeah, take that Big Red, you commi SOB"

I know that makes it all worth it.. ;)

:D

Guest Eschelon
Does anyone know how they'll notify users if/when they release the official ROM update?

Fear not. It'll be plastered all over this website within minutes when/if they release it

Guest necosino

It WOULD come as a download via their website. They wouldn't actually advertise the update though.

I have it on good information though that there will not be an official update released by Verizon due in part because of the lack of customer complaints about the issue (Presumably because the leaked ROM is all over and takes care of the problem). Also because of the impending release of the Omnia II series.