Omnia II i8000 keyboard input and screen rotation

Guest Deniska

Congrats to brand new Omnia II owners. I am jealous. ;) I hope you can share your experience with the soft keyboard input on the Omnia. The questions are:

• How well does it work for you? Do you end up with a lot of mistakes and corrections?
  • Is it easy to type one-handed? How about two-handed?
  • How does it compare to other soft keyboards you've used (iPhone, HTC compact and full qwerty, ShapeWriter, Resco Keyboard, etc.)?
  • How much better or worse is it in landscape mode?
  • When you turn the device, how long of a delay is there before it switches to landscape, let's say in an email screen and in Opera Mobile? Are we talking under half second or multiple seconds?

I would like to hear about the owners' actual experiences. Thanks.

Guest KSTAN
Congrats to brand new Omnia II owners. I am jealous. ;) I hope you can share your experience with the soft keyboard input on the Omnia. The questions are:
  • How well does it work for you? Do you end up with a lot of mistakes and corrections?
  • Is it easy to type one-handed? How about two-handed?
  • How does it compare to other soft keyboards you've used (iPhone, HTC compact and full qwerty, ShapeWriter, Resco Keyboard, etc.)?
  • How much better or worse is it in landscape mode?
  • When you turn the device, how long of a delay is there before it switches to landscape, let's say in an email screen and in Opera Mobile? Are we talking under half second or multiple seconds?

I would like to hear about the owners' actual experiences. Thanks.

The samsung keypad is finger friendly though the key is slightly smaller than finger keyboard. This could be due to the bigger screen. it's similar to finger keyboard where occassionally u would press the wrong key.

It is quite easy to use 1 hand to type as the phone is only slightly bigger.

Landscape is quite good also. See screenshot (sms)

Switching to landscape or potrait mode takes a couple of secs only..

post-538416-1248312057_thumb.png post-538416-1248312066_thumb.png

Guest luxury

yeah you can still use finger keyboard 2 if you want. and the smallest wm keyboard also has tiny spaces inbetween and a 3d look now.

Edited by luxury

Guest Deniska

Wow... A couple of seconds is disappointing. I hoped for a sub-second turn-around given the specs. :).

Guest IBTECH
Wow... A couple of seconds is disappointing. I hoped for a sub-second turn-around given the specs. :) .

Time of rotation varies between applications.

The player rotates almost instantly, the MMS takes about 1sec.

You cant rotate every application on the Omnia..sadly.

Guest Deniska
Time of rotation varies between applications.

The player rotates almost instantly, the MMS takes about 1sec.

Thanks. Have you tried GSen to enable auto-rotation in all apps?

• 2 weeks later...
The samsung keypad is finger friendly though the key is slightly smaller than finger keyboard. This could be due to the bigger screen. it's similar to finger keyboard where occassionally u would press the wrong key.

It is quite easy to use 1 hand to type as the phone is only slightly bigger.

Landscape is quite good also. See screenshot (sms)

How did you manage to switch to landscape in Messaging (new SMS)? Mine doesn't rotate.

Thanks,

David

Guest sanyboi
How did you manage to switch to landscape in Messaging (new SMS)? Mine doesn't rotate.

Thanks,

David

You just have to rotate the screen when you are replying/writing a message.

Also have you calibrated the motion sensor since you've had it?

Guest kvv515kvv

actualy you can.

go to registry

hk_loval machine - system - gdi - rotation

in key HideOrientationUi change 1 to 0

than open aplication buttons and asign to any button the command - rotate scree (you can see this option after you cange the registry)

Guest sadiqsabia
actualy you can.

go to registry

than open aplication buttons and asign to any button the command - rotate scree (you can see this option after you cange the registry)

I have tried this. Changed the Value but there is no option "Rotate Screen" Appear. What else need changing

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ronin2
actualy you can.

go to registry

Thanks, work it. :D

But, would be possible that the change to landscape was automatic with the accelerometer?

Guest bartveld
You just have to rotate the screen when you are replying/writing a message.

Also have you calibrated the motion sensor since you've had it?

I have the same problem: screen only rotates in Opera, not in Notes, Word, SMS etc. And yes, I have calibrated the Motionsensor. Read somewhere that it did work on an older ROM-version. Still, this is a software issue, isn't it? Anybody any suggestions?

Guest vamp123
I cant use landscape keyboard on mine as when you rotate it to landscape the keyboard disappears with no way to get it back.

I have the same problem. Even the small icon for keyboard disappears. Can anybody help?

Guest ashleeee

My rotates sometimes, but doesn't at other times. Keyboard will still be there though.

Opera and picture rotates with no problem. Anyone has similar issues? Is it unique to my phone or a common problem?

I read in some (p)review that for input only a qwerty keyboard is available on the omnia II?? Can anyone confirm that?

I quite like the Samsung phonepad on my i900 and don't want to use the full qwerty keyboard in portrait mode because it's too small for my fingers :D

Could someone post perhaps some screen shots of the available input keyboards?

Edited by pbrand

Guest silencer22
Oh my the o2 has all three keyboards!

I wonder if anyone has a cab for the other two!

I only have the qwerty one!

hi there

u juz need to tap n hold the Mode button until the dialog appears :)

• 1 month later...
Guest tacchan23
sms%20(3).pngAnyone here know where to get this keyboard??

Please do guide.

<li>Change from Samsung Qwerty to Keypad:Tap and hold on the XT9 button, you will see the option.