Hi Omnia 2

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

I am coming from Omnia 1 i900 forum and waiting to get an Omnia 2.

Just a few Qs to be verified and confirmed by the actuall Omnia 2 owners, even I did see lots of youtube or other review videos and online opinions:

1) How is its screen visibility under direct sunlight and responsiveness (very finger friendly and UI navigation) comparing to iphone?

2) Is there a light around the Cube button (saw that either on the Jet or Omnia 2 videos) for anything, good for indication or notification?

3) Still have all the working features like the i900 ? such as fast GPS lock with A-GPS, stereo BT for all media apps and files, auto or manual rotation for all apps.

4) Or improved features like the i900? such as faster camera capture, clean and louder unlimited audio recording either in Note or separate app, better video (of course but by how much) and sound track recording, emails, fast and smooth Opera web browsing and page rendering, fast and more stable UI, battery life with 2 hrs of GPS/ 2 hrs of wifi/ 1 hr of phone call/ real time email and sms notification/ 1 hr of gaming, and any other issues that I did not mention.

That is it for now and thanks for any useful feedback!

Guest luxsteele
I am coming from Omnia 1 i900 forum and waiting to get an Omnia 2.

Just a few Qs to be verified and confirmed by the actuall Omnia 2 owners, even I did see lots of youtube or other review videos and online opinions:

1) How is its screen visibility under direct sunlight and responsiveness (very finger friendly and UI navigation) comparing to iphone?

2) Is there a light around the Cube button (saw that either on the Jet or Omnia 2 videos) for anything, good for indication or notification?

3) Still have all the working features like the i900 ? such as fast GPS lock with A-GPS, stereo BT for all media apps and files, auto or manual rotation for all apps.

4) Or improved features like the i900? such as faster camera capture, clean and louder unlimited audio recording either in Note or separate app, better video (of course but by how much) and sound track recording, emails, fast and smooth Opera web browsing and page rendering, fast and more stable UI, battery life with 2 hrs of GPS/ 2 hrs of wifi/ 1 hr of phone call/ real time email and sms notification/ 1 hr of gaming, and any other issues that I did not mention.

That is it for now and thanks for any useful feedback!

1) it is no way close to the iphone in direct sunlight, responsiveness practically too (the iphone is much better, period)

I believe for the responsiveness the problem is software and not hw, new ROM will definitively improve it in the future.

2) There is no light around the cube

3) GPS is a little bit of a pain (we still need gpsgate for tomtom). I can't compare with the omnia 1 in terms of speed.

4) I need more time (I just got mine less than 24 hours ago) I did not play too much with it.

I hope it helps..

1) it is no way close to the iphone in direct sunlight, responsiveness practically too (the iphone is much better, period)

I believe for the responsiveness the problem is software and not hw, new ROM will definitively improve it in the future.

2) There is no light around the cube

3) GPS is a little bit of a pain (we still need gpsgate for tomtom). I can't compare with the omnia 1 in terms of speed.

4) I need more time (I just got mine less than 24 hours ago) I did not play too much with it.

I hope it helps..

Thnx for the fast response.

1) This still got me confused because it looked very smoothly fluid in some of the review clips but you are the actual owner so I believe you and lets hope it will be improved to be close to iphone with the next ROM very soon. Disappointed already :) . Also the screen visibility, well that must have to do with capacitive and the cover glass so if there is a good GPS N.A version for the i8910 HD then I might get this one instead (cap screen plus HD recording).

2) Not creative again from Samsung, such a waste of screen space, ok if it is a D pad.

3) I believe GPS should work fine if it can be configured properly.

4) Where you got it from, good deal? I am waiting for the N.A version (just FCC approved) with 16G.

Please keep us updated!

Guest luxsteele
Thnx for the fast response.

1) This still got me confused because it looked very smoothly fluid in some of the review clips but you are the actual owner so I believe you and lets hope it will be improved to be close to iphone with the next ROM very soon. Disappointed already :) . Also the screen visibility, well that must have to do with capacitive and the cover glass so if there is a good GPS N.A version for the i8910 HD then I might get this one instead (cap screen plus HD recording).

2) Not creative again from Samsung, such a waste of screen space, ok if it is a D pad.

3) I believe GPS should work fine if it can be configured properly.

4) Where you got it from, good deal? I am waiting for the N.A version (just FCC approved) with 16G.

Please keep us updated!

I got it from ebay for $699 with free two day shipping. User is rose528400 (8 GB model)

I don't know for the GPS but yesterday I tried for 4 hours unsuccessfully, I then installed gpsgate and it worked. As you said it looks fluid in the videos on the web, this is the reason why I got mine, but when you use it the feeling is different. I used the Iphone for some months last year so believe me the feeling is different. I'm also a little bit disappointed..what really piss me off is the proprietary samsung usb connector...it is not a standard mini-usb as I read in many reviews.

I got it from ebay for $699 with free two day shipping. User is rose528400 (8 GB model)

I don't know for the GPS but yesterday I tried for 4 hours unsuccessfully, I then installed gpsgate and it worked. As you said it looks fluid in the videos on the web, this is the reason why I got mine, but when you use it the feeling is different. I used the Iphone for some months last year so believe me the feeling is different. I'm also a little bit disappointed..what really piss me off is the proprietary samsung usb connector...it is not a standard mini-usb as I read in many reviews.

Sorry to hear that but still strange: why the reviews (particularly the connector) were so far off from the release products. Can you still return it and wait for the final US version?

Guest luxsteele
Sorry to hear that but still strange: why the reviews (particularly the connector) were so far off from the release products. Can you still return it and wait for the final US version?

I think I will keep it. I returned the iphone because I hated att and apple, this is the best WM phone I can get...I know that this phone is going to rock in the future. Don't get me wrong, it is 100 times better the omnia 1 (my friend has it). But it is not the spectacular device we have been dreaming of...monstly because of WM 6.1. Maybe with WM 6.5 and another iteration of TouchWiz it could.

I think I will keep it. I returned the iphone because I hated att and apple, this is the best WM phone I can get...I know that this phone is going to rock in the future. Don't get me wrong, it is 100 times better the omnia 1 (my friend has it). But it is not the spectacular device we have been dreaming of...monstly because of WM 6.1. Maybe with WM 6.5 and another iteration of TouchWiz it could.

Finally I am glad to hear because just one second I thougth it is not good enough to be a keeper ;) . Still omoled is a show off to iphone :) . I still prefer the Omnia 2 form factor over HD plus I can port winmo apps from i900 over. But yours only works on 1900 band from ATT and is it good and fast, I heard it is but the US version will cover both.

Enjoy and please post any good and bad once you play around enough!

Guest alvinaloy
what really piss me off is the proprietary samsung usb connector...it is not a standard mini-usb as I read in many reviews.

Hi, that's not a proprietary Samsung connector. It's not a mini-USB either. It's micro-USB. The EU recently got together like 10 major phone manufacturers in the Europe and crammed 1 standard connector down their throats to adopt. And that is the micro-USB connecter. The Nokia N97 uses the same micro-USB too.

Guest luxsteele
Hi, that's not a proprietary Samsung connector. It's not a mini-USB either. It's micro-USB. The EU recently got together like 10 major phone manufacturers in the Europe and crammed 1 standard connector down their throats to adopt. And that is the micro-USB connecter. The Nokia N97 uses the same micro-USB too.

I apologize for the mistake...I just realized it is a MICRO.