Omnia II's Touchscreen

Guest sanyboi

I currently own an omnia i900 and have been considering moving to an omnia 2 i8000, i've been checking posts, reviews, specs etc to make sure i dont regret the move. Something that really bothers me with the i900 is the touchscreen sensitivity, even after replacing my digitizer it seems to have lost some of the sensitivity.. especially in the centre of the screen.

Now the thing i i'd like to know more about is how good/sensitive is the touchscreen on the omnia 2? ie how is it with kinetic scrolling, are all areas of the screen just as sensitive as eachother? also will i actually need to use the stylus? Maybe current users of this device could give an out of 10 rating, for us unsure about making the switch.

Guest modacian
I currently own an omnia i900 and have been considering moving to an omnia 2 i8000, i've been checking posts, reviews, specs etc to make sure i dont regret the move. Something that really bothers me with the i900 is the touchscreen sensitivity, even after replacing my digitizer it seems to have lost some of the sensitivity.. especially in the centre of the screen.

Now the thing i i'd like to know more about is how good/sensitive is the touchscreen on the omnia 2? ie how is it with kinetic scrolling, are all areas of the screen just as sensitive as eachother? also will i actually need to use the stylus? Maybe current users of this device could give an out of 10 rating, for us unsure about making the switch.

I can give you my own experience, I think the sensitivity is amazing! better that the Omnia 1 with the new digitizer that is for sure. however "and I think it is a software issue like the light sensor issue" it loses alignment from time to time, for example if I press on an ok button that is next to the bottom or the screen, I would press the bottom, although it is far away, when I press the second time on the same exact spot, it works perfectly, it responds to the lightest touch, but don't mix it with capacitive sensitivity though

Guest FerdiBorbon

i can vouch for this too, the Omnia II has really improved alot of things over the i900 im so glad...like i mentioned before now i can type with two thumbs, thats how sensitive and accurate it is, on the i900 i have to type index finger (nails) :)

Guest sanyboi

Thanks for the quick replies!

I understand it won't have capacitive sensitivity but ever since i got the i900 i don't think i can leave windows mobile anyways :) ..

I'm the glad they have addressed this issue, as it was the biggest let down for me with the original.

Off Topic i know but would anyone be able to confirm they got this working within the UK?

Cheers

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
i can vouch for this too, the Omnia II has really improved alot of things over the i900 im so glad...like i mentioned before now i can type with two thumbs, thats how sensitive and accurate it is, on the i900 i have to type index finger (nails) :)

Are you sure? I am still able to type with two fingers in either landscape or portrait mode almost perfectly and quickly on the i900.

Guest FerdiBorbon
Are you sure? I am still able to type with two fingers in either landscape or portrait mode almost perfectly and quickly on the i900.

i probably had the older digitizer i guess,

Guest alvinaloy

I'm on the Omnia II and today, sent it in to have some protective shields pasted over it and so used my Omnia I for a couple of hours. That's when I again appreciated how much more sensitive and accurate the Omnia II's touchscreen is now. Personally, I'd say it's quite a major improvement.

Guest carmod

Alvinaloy, would you please inform me what is the brand of protective shield? has the touch screen sensivity reduced after applying the protective screen? :)

Guest alvinaloy
Alvinaloy, would you please inform me what is the brand of protective shield? has the touch screen sensivity reduced after applying the protective screen? :)

I'm using Raceshield. Touchscreen is still as sensitive. However, it adds some friction so if your finger is sticky, it might cause you not to be able to slide up or down the screen as smoothly.

Guest FerdiBorbon

awsome i cant wait for my raceshield too, it doesnt ruin the colors when you have it on right? still the same visibly as you had it without the r/s

Guest sanyboi
Thanks for the quick replies!

I understand it won't have capacitive sensitivity but ever since i got the i900 i don't think i can leave windows mobile anyways :D ..

I'm the glad they have addressed this issue, as it was the biggest let down for me with the original.

Off Topic i know but would anyone be able to confirm they got this working within the UK?

Cheers

Recently purchased one myself and can answer my own questions.

The Touchscreen is so much better than the omnia and the difference between them is very noticable. The finger scrolling is quick and responsive and there is no loss of sensitivity in the middle of the screen.

Also have tested this in the UK and can confirm that the singapore handset works fine with the uk networks: Orange and T-mobile.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Recently purchased one myself and can answer my own questions.

The Touchscreen is so much better than the omnia and the difference between them is very noticable. The finger scrolling is quick and responsive and there is no loss of sensitivity in the middle of the screen.

Also have tested this in the UK and can confirm that the singapore handset works fine with the uk networks: Orange and T-mobile.

Is it as responsive as iphone or 95% close (absolutely NO finger nail scratching, ouch)? If so I'll buy one for US version and please be very honest if you tried an iphone before.

Guest ResiFe

That's a good point and I wish someone would compare the touchscreen to the i8910 or i7500, both equipped with a capacitive touchscreen.

The i8910 is really amazing, you need no pressure at all, the slightest touch with the fingertip...

Guest sanyboi
Is it as responsive as iphone or 95% close (absolutely NO finger nail scratching, ouch)? If so I'll buy one for US version and please be very honest if you tried an iphone before.

I'd say it's about as close to an iphone as a resistive touchscreen can get, you really notice how responsive and fast the touch is when scrolling menu's and browsing through the file manager. Also all the apps make it a very touch friendly experience and i find that even the orignal windows mobile apps are now alot easier to use with the bigger more responsive screen. I used to find that with the widget interface on the i900 i'd be accidently clicking on the widgets while dragging them around the screen but with the i8000 its no problem at all.

i've been using it for a few days now and have not had to use my fingernail once! I find it hard to use my i900 again as the touchscreen on the i8000 is in a totally different league. Honestly i'm really impressed with the improvements that samsung have made and not just the touchscreen. I'd personally advise any i900 user to upgrade to the i8000 then you will truly understand what i mean.