New application for digital compass on Omnia II

• 1 month later...
Th Shannon Tan application is not a real compass though.

Good to see the app has been updated as I use it for the flash function

I don't think you're using version 2.1 then. Looking at my own device I'm pretty sure it uses the digital compass, or it emulates it in a way I don't understand.

For instance it uses the Samsung SDK 2.0

Guest awarner (MVP)

Installed 2.1 today but it certainly does not point in a North direction and the red bar points in any direction it feel like when you move the phone around.

Unless the Omnia's built in compass is rally that bad.

Also the other stange issue is the bubble (blue spot) on the compass, to get it to be dead center of the compass image you actually need the XY co-ordinates to be both at 4 degrees and not at 0 degrees as it should be.

Guest tacchan23
Installed 2.1 today but it certainly does not point in a North direction and the red bar points in any direction it feel like when you move the phone around.

Also the other stange issue is the bubble (blue spot) on the compass, to get it to be dead center of the compass image you actually need the XY co-ordinates to be both at 4 degrees and not at 0 degrees as it should be.

yes, I have the same issues

Guest yshaikh01
Yes, and rechecked/calibrated quite a few times, same result.

Shake your phone and you will notice that the A: value on top the compass will change 33,66,100. When it is any of these values the compass will work fine. If you launch the Samsung compass from the LCDTest menu it shows a HDST Value 0,1,2,3. If this is 0 you get no results, shake the phone it changes value and goes BLUE, compass works now.

Not sure why this happens, bit annoying to shake the phone to use the compass. :D

Edited by yshaikh01

Guest tacchan23
Shake your phone and you will notice that the A: value on top the compass will change 33,66,100. When it is any of these values the compass will work fine. If you launch the Samsung compass from the LCDTest menu it shows a HDST Value 0,1,2,3. If this is 0 you get no results, shake the phone it changes value and goes BLUE, compass works now.

Not sure why this happens, bit annoying to shake the phone to use the compass. :D

True°_°

at least now I can use the compass if i get lost^^

Guest yshaikh01
True°_°

at least now I can use the compass if i get lost^^

Yeah glad its works for you as well, not sure why it happens.

Wonder if the developer of SSBubblelevel can shed any light on this :D

Guest awarner (MVP)

Thanks for the info compass now works, when I powered it on at home it was on 33 so no shaking needed :D

What would be nice is to see the compass rotating but that's hopefully in a later build.

Guest yshaikh01
Thanks for the info compass now works, when I powered it on at home it was on 33 so no shaking needed :D

What would be nice is to see the compass rotating but that's hopefully in a later build.

Rotating compass would finish this app of nicely. The red bar makes it look abit dated, but very greatful for such an app.

Guest rodrigofd

the A value you can see there, is the accuracy percentage (%) of the digital compass hardware sensor... according to magnetic/gravity fluctuations

Guest rodrigofd
the A value you can see there, is the accuracy percentage (%) of the digital compass hardware sensor... according to magnetic/gravity fluctuations

Btw, i am writing an improved digital compass, ripping off HTC LEO compass images, however i do not know to code in OpenGL/DirectX, and i cant manage to rotate image 360° properly :D ...

Guest tacchan23
Btw, i am writing an improved digital compass, ripping off HTC LEO compass images, however i do not know to code in OpenGL/DirectX, and i cant manage to rotate image 360° properly :D ...

Maybe you can ask help from GinKage?

Guest Ekezial
yes, I have the same issues

Thanks for finding that error, i'll fix it on my next release V2.2 at http://ekezial.spaces.live.com in the near future.

here's my todo list of changes, pls feel free to add .

[TODO]

1)Fix the position of the bubble in the compass. prob change the color too.

2)change the needle to something more better as in real compass.

3)Documentation on how to use app.

here's a small info on the compass.

H-> heading

a-> Accuracy, if you get a 0 the compass is not getting any reading from the sensor. And yes you can shake up your phone to get the sensor to work, you got to ask samsung why you have to do that.

ST

Guest tacchan23
here's my todo list of changes, pls feel free to add .

If it's possible, maybe you could add a Command Line to launch the application with the Flashlight already ON?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dwallersv

Nice app, Ekezial!

The compass and level features are working fine on my i920. However, the light sensor and flash controls don't work at all. Are they working on the i8000, or is this a "to be fixed" problem?

If not, I'm a code hacker, have the VS2008 environment set up for developing Omnia II apps, and have a 920. I'd be happy to dig in to it for you if want, but of course I'd need the source...