257 replies to this topic

secany

secany

Diehard

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Good news finally came :D
I'll upload 1 more version, consider it will be lastest version of i8k series ROMs I'll upload :P

inmatrixout

inmatrixout

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2 & Omnia II

Thanks for great translation. I still have a question for the above part. After we pack the imgfs.bin from dump, does he mean we have to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original imgfs.bin? What content to use to fill up or just a blank content?

Another question is about the LANGPACK. He didn't mention about this or we just ignore this part?

We are looking forward for your progress Great Cook!!! :lol: :) :)

I'll upload 1 more version, consider it will be lastest version of i8k series ROMs I'll upload :P

I think that you can feed us only with the best versions if you like! ;)

blues55

blues55

Regular

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Great news ;) When we can expect a new version ?

BTW. Do you have newest eu firmware for B7300 ?

pompoko

pompoko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Good News, Thanks.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000 Omnia 2
I was just wondering... how many of the Omnia2 users here can actually make something (a ROM I mean^^) out of this new infos? Other than Khuanchai?
For sure not me XD :D

KSTAN

KSTAN

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000

Thanks for great translation. I still have a question for the above part. After we pack the imgfs.bin from dump, does he mean we have to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original imgfs.bin? What content to use to fill up or just a blank content?

Another question is about the LANGPACK. He didn't mention about this or we just ignore this part?

Hi Khunchai,

I think u can fill up with 00's. As for the LANGPACK, there was no mentioned abt it. :D

If u r using buildimgfs.exe to pack imgfs.bin, it will preserve the size according to WeiSun. But if u use imfsfromdump, u need to use hex to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original.

Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000

Khuanchai

Khuanchai

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia

Hi Khunchai,

I think u can fill up with 00's. As for the LANGPACK, there was no mentioned abt it. :D

If u r using buildimgfs.exe to pack imgfs.bin, it will preserve the size according to WeiSun. But if u use imfsfromdump, u need to use hex to fill up the new imgfs.bin to the same size as the original.

I still have a long way to go. Some information here is not valid, for example, os.nb size, sectors, and checksum are for os.nb part only not the whole nb file (it contains os.nb and LANGPACK). We need some more information and practical way to cook the ROM. Besides sorg, pako is the one who can help us.

Thanks to friends who donated. Click here if you want to help. :)

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
Firstly I'll start by saying i don't know anything about rom editing, I'm just gathering from what I read in the article:

I don't see any mention of languages or pack in the article.
Is langpack really necessary? Isn't editing os.nb enough?

According to the article, after getting os.nb (and a header.pre) all u need to do I guess is edit the os.nb (by putting in new imgfs.bin manually with hex, and XIP and boot with the osnbtool) , then modify the header.pre, then use copy /b to combine them into PDA.NB0...

Edited by powser, 06 November 2009 - 04:10 AM.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000 Omnia 2

Firstly I'll start by saying i don't know anything about rom editing, I'm just gathering from what I read in the article:

I don't see any mention of languages or pack in the article.
Is langpack really necessary? Isn't editing os.nb enough?

According to the article, after getting os.nb (and a header.pre) all u need to do I guess is edit the os.nb, then modify the header.pre, then use copy /b to combine them into PDA.NB0...

Maybe those who can speak chinese well could help Khuanchai by traslating his questions (maybe send him a PM to ask if he has more questions in details) and post them in the PDAclan forum?

KSTAN

KSTAN

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
Just realized the actually buildimgfs was the old name for imgfsfromdump..... :D

sorg

sorg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia II

i don't understand your point of view.
How cooked ROM can replace official ROM?
There are still some glitches in samsung programs and it won't be fixed by cooked ROMs.
For example, SMS/MMS application still needs to be improved and Samsung really improving it little by little in every ROM release. Currently, most annoying thisng is when you open keyboard, list won't scroll to the latest message. And you can not scroll it because keyboard will disappear and if you will open kbd again, you again will loose latest message... So, it's very annoying.
Cookers simple can't fix this.

bluhound

bluhound

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Location:Where the grass is yellow and the sky is hazy... *cough*
  • Devices:Omnia II-Streak-NK6600-NK8310

i don't understand your point of view.
How cooked ROM can replace official ROM?
There are still some glitches in samsung programs and it won't be fixed by cooked ROMs.
For example, SMS/MMS application still needs to be improved and Samsung really improving it little by little in every ROM release. Currently, most annoying thisng is when you open keyboard, list won't scroll to the latest message. And you can not scroll it because keyboard will disappear and if you will open kbd again, you again will loose latest message... So, it's very annoying.
Cookers simple can't fix this.

Just my point of view here. To me, I will only go for cooked ROMs with all traces of Samsung's customised applications stripped off.
By having that, I am able to select specific 3rd party apps which I will install without bloating the memory up.
Also, after trying out several ROM revisions, I found that most of the glitches and bugs are from Samsung's customisation.

In PC wise, its like using nLite to remove all unwanted stuff on WinXP and have a mean slim OS that meets your specific needs.

sorg

sorg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia II

Just my point of view here. To me, I will only go for cooked ROMs with all traces of Samsung's customised applications stripped off.
By having that, I am able to select specific 3rd party apps which I will install without bloating the memory up.
Also, after trying out several ROM revisions, I found that most of the glitches and bugs are from Samsung's customisation.

In PC wise, its like using nLite to remove all unwanted stuff on WinXP and have a mean slim OS that meets your specific needs.

no problem. Everyone is free in choice. But if you think you will get more free RAM using 3rd party software then you are totally wrong.
Also, WM6.5 eats RAM as hot cakes. WM6.5.1 even more.
In my ROM i've removed only WidgetPlus (replaced by PointUI) and MainMenu (replaced by standard WM6.5 start menu).
I like when everything in harmony which samsung did. All apps share same color gamma and philosophy.

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :D
May be it's better you could go with HTC phones with their ugly windows interface and manilla replaced today.

KSTAN

KSTAN

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
Hi guys,

1 more good new, Weisun and acwan from www.pdaclan.com has recompiled imgfsfromdump (think can support up to 1024MB based on the filename) due to existing imgfsfromdump canonly support up to 256MB.

Attached File  ImgfsFromDump_BigRom_1024.rar   27.38KB   64 downloads

hdubli

hdubli

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

no problem. Everyone is free in choice. But if you think you will get more free RAM using 3rd party software then you are totally wrong.
In my ROM i've removed only WidgetPlus (replaced by PointUI) and MainMenu (replaced by standard WM6.5 start menu).
I like when everything in harmony which samsung did. All apps share same color gamma and philosophy.

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :)
May be it's better you could go with HTC phones with their ugly windows interface and manilla replaced today.

I agree with sorg, a little off topic, but , though am not as great cooker and as great as sorg, i prefer vanilla ROMs, which save good amount of resources and help perform PPC phone better.I have cooked 23081 vanilla and 23081 with manila 2.5 and found that ROM with manila looks hot, but it doesnt perform at all, while vaniall OS, awesome.I wud say HTC device like hot girl without brains :D
it is our choice, what to choose and use for our benefit

bobobird

bobobird

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Devices:i900
Manila is soooooooooooooooooooo old school.

Khuanchai

Khuanchai

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia

I think you want to put something like Manilla 2D/3D and expect to have a lot of free RAM.. hehe.. good luck :)

The idea of cooking ROM is already universal now for WM users, either HTC or non-HTC. It's not worth to discuss here on cooked ROM vs original ROM. People who want to stick with original ROM or don't want to contribute to ROM cooking just stay away from this thread.

You at least cook your ROM to suit your style of use. I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore. People also have their own styles of using their mobiles. Some may feel comfortable with Samsung interface but some may want to completely get rid of them. What I think the best way to go for cooking is to have a clean ROM (either WM 6.1 or 6.5) and people can customize their phone for own use.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks to friends who donated. Click here if you want to help. :)

rodrigofd

rodrigofd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Devices:Omnia 2 I8000; HTC Fuze

The idea of cooking ROM is already universal now for WM users, either HTC or non-HTC. It's not worth to discuss here on cooked ROM vs original ROM. People who want to stick with original ROM or don't want to contribute to ROM cooking just stay away from this thread.

You at least cook your ROM to suit your style of use. I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore. People also have their own styles of using their mobiles. Some may feel comfortable with Samsung interface but some may want to completely get rid of them. What I think the best way to go for cooking is to have a clean ROM (either WM 6.1 or 6.5) and people can customize their phone for own use.

Just my 2 cents.

1000% agree with you Khuanchai....i am kind of surprised by actittude of certain users from this forum, which i believe is not the general philosophy of this community (uninterested share and collaboration for the better of the mayority), but hopefully it is not the prevalent one, so we can still keep working in what is this forum main goal: make the best of our phones... i believe everyone knows that most users here choose this kind of devices simply by the fact of how much they can be customized to suit one's personal needs. This kind of arrogance certainly doesn't sum up to what we intend to do, so, in the worst case, it should be simply ignored...

Cooking ROMs for I8000 & I8000L

Want to support my work?? :)

Posted Image / EUR: Posted Image

sys_error

sys_error

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Devices:Omnia & OmniaII
i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

Lancez

Lancez

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • Interests:My Devices:
    Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung I9100
    Samsung S8600 Bada
    Samsung I8000
    Samsung I900
    Sony Ericsson X10a

i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

might be better in traditional chinese :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users