OK, I have my 920 ... need some roms!!! ;-)

Guest pwmcmaho

Guest Ninja4Hire

So to make sure I understand, before I brick my phone (which I have a feeling I am gonna do anywho :) ) The phone dump file is an actual working rom, so If I dump my phone I should be able to take that raw .bin file and load it back onto my phone with a loader? If this is the case, then I will give it a try. If I brick my phone, I can just send it in and get another one via Verizon's overpriced insurance. Someones gotta take one for the team here, lets get the party crackin!!

What I don't understand is how I take that .bin file and pull out the crap i don't want and then put it back together again.

Guest jbetten2

VZ official update would be much better and safe, actually.

I can make flashable version of dump made by pwmcmaho, but i'm not sure if i920 will accept it and is it possible to use OCTANS Downloader with i920.

I only tested it on my i8000. ROM booted fine, but since there are hardware difference most functions weren't worked, such as: phone, audio, camera etc...

do

you have a flashable version yet?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest romieorock

I just tried to use OCTANS Downloader with my i920 with no luck.

I followed all instrutions to the dot but I still had no luck making it work.

Help somebody please Help US :-( :)

Guest amdzero
I just tried to use OCTANS Downloader with my i920 with no luck.

I followed all instrutions to the dot but I still had no luck making it work.

Help somebody please Help US :-( :)

Did you brick your phone, or did it just not work?

Guest 2ksilverbullet

I'm not too familiar with ROM's (I'm a wannabe, have read and read about it but never owned a phone that allowed it) but the details for the download reference an upgrade tool? Is an "upgrade tool" the same as upgrade software, or is it possible the tool only allows upgrades (once they're released)? Details of the download below:

1. Title

Verizon Wireless SCH-I920 End User Upgrade Tool

2. Applicable Model

SCH-I920

3. Carrier or Corporate Customer

Verizon

4. Description

Verizon Wireless SCH-I920 End User Upgrade Tool

but wouldnt the upgrade tool itself help in putting roms on the device even if it didnt have software to accompany it....im doing the upgrade now

so i tried to update it and it needs activesync 4.5 which is used on xp....so i need to get to a xp machine then ill try and see what changes

Edited by KSamp

Guest Shemmy

If the upgrade tool for the i920 is anything like the one for the i910, it's not going to be just the loader, but an application that will just load the pre-packaged ROM. If I remember correctly, we had a different program for the i910, but I don't know if that will work for the i920. I may check it out, but we'd still need a kitchen and a good dump of the i920.

Guest amdzero
If the upgrade tool for the i920 is anything like the one for the i910, it's not going to be just the loader, but an application that will just load the pre-packaged ROM. If I remember correctly, we had a different program for the i910, but I don't know if that will work for the i920. I may check it out, but we'd still need a kitchen and a good dump of the i920.

Are there any cooks willing to make a kitchen for the i920? Will this update allow for modified ROMs? I'm no chef but I'd be willing to learn to further ROM development.

Guest pwmcmaho
check out this

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/...amp;tab=support

samsung has an official update out for the vzw I920....could we possibly use this to get custom roms on our phones?

Im downloading it now to check it out...its 410mb

Looks like it was pulled ... when you get it down, let us know... If we can get the UMDL or some form of loader, we may be able to start cooking :-)

Guest amdzero
Did you manage to download the updater?

Well I woke up early this morning with hopes of an upgrade. Of course Samsung took it down, so I found the link here in Modaco and downloaded the files (2 parts). After reading and trying to use the program I bricked my phone. It was going great up until about 31% then it stopped. The timer on the program kept counting so I was still hopeful. After the timer went past 5 minutes (it was actually almost 9 minutes in the negative!) the emergency boot process kicked in. Thats when my heart sank. I was still hopeful after that because there was an emergency upgrade built into the official verizon branded upgrade program. Of course the same thing happened after 31% the bar stopped moving and the program ticked well past 10 minutes. I was prompted again by the emergency upgrade process. So I was late to work today frantically trying to get my phone back.

I know it says it was compatible with 2000, xp, and vista, I was hopeful that my win7 laptop would do the job. Alas even in compatibility mode it was bricked.

After turning the phone off/on the samsung logo was all I saw, no boot. I even plugged it into the wall charger and a simple text message appeared at the top stating:

no charging image

download csc

Okay so that sucked, I stared at the screen in disbelief for about 2 minutes without blinking and then the screen started changing. The pixels all started becoming green and eventually pink. It was as if each pixel randomly changed color until the whole screen was an ugly scatter of pink colored pixels (like snow on a bad TV reception but not moving). This repeated every time I reset the device, from black to eventually pink.

I went to my local VZ store and after about 30 minutes of "troubleshooting" they replaced my phone.

Wow, so the moral of the story is don't use a rescinded Upgrade Program on an OS it was not designed for.

at least my Omina 2 is nice and shiny =)

Guest Steel Reign

I don't know much about roms, but I do know how to extract resources from files. I was able to extract what I think is the rom, using resource hacker. If somebody can tell me how to calculate the checksum, I'd gladly try my device at this, as my device is still under the 30 return for verizon.

post-622085-1262887491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest DirtySanchez
Well I woke up early this morning with hopes of an upgrade. Of course Samsung took it down, so I found the link here in Modaco and downloaded the files (2 parts). After reading and trying to use the program I bricked my phone. It was going great up until about 31% then it stopped. The timer on the program kept counting so I was still hopeful. After the timer went past 5 minutes (it was actually almost 9 minutes in the negative!) the emergency boot process kicked in. Thats when my heart sank. I was still hopeful after that because there was an emergency upgrade built into the official verizon branded upgrade program. Of course the same thing happened after 31% the bar stopped moving and the program ticked well past 10 minutes. I was prompted again by the emergency upgrade process. So I was late to work today frantically trying to get my phone back.

I know it says it was compatible with 2000, xp, and vista, I was hopeful that my win7 laptop would do the job. Alas even in compatibility mode it was bricked.

After turning the phone off/on the samsung logo was all I saw, no boot. I even plugged it into the wall charger and a simple text message appeared at the top stating:

no charging image

download csc

Okay so that sucked, I stared at the screen in disbelief for about 2 minutes without blinking and then the screen started changing. The pixels all started becoming green and eventually pink. It was as if each pixel randomly changed color until the whole screen was an ugly scatter of pink colored pixels (like snow on a bad TV reception but not moving). This repeated every time I reset the device, from black to eventually pink.

I went to my local VZ store and after about 30 minutes of "troubleshooting" they replaced my phone.

Wow, so the moral of the story is don't use a rescinded Upgrade Program on an OS it was not designed for.

at least my Omina 2 is nice and shiny =)

Also if you look at the i8000 forum it states if you where going to use that update from Samsung u needed to use a XP machine. Some people had luck with running in compatibility mode but it had to be anything better that home Prem, Due to hardware limits. Also if you brick your phone again look to these ideas it worked on an i910 maybe will work to undo a bricked i920

http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-specifi...sible-solution/