Must have apps...

Guest ptruman

Guest JadeMonkee
does anyone know a app that will allow the htc to work as a media server so i can stream all the songs from my pc to my phone on wifi?

Also is there a app that monitors utorrent? I know on a jailbroken iphone there was a app that allows you to view and pause resume downlaods etc.

I use TorrentFu for Transmission... but I don't know what's available for utorrent.

I don't know if that helped or not... sorry.

Guest starfarer
starfarer

to completely close dolphin browser

exit the application by holding down the back key on your device instead of just clicking.. 045.gif

Cheers. I figured out after posted here ;)

Trying to figure out FTPServer. How does it work :) ?

Edit: Thanks ptruman for FTP guide and suggestion. Working perfect.

Edited by starfarer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starfarer

FTPServer as described by Ptruman. Thanks for easy guide.

Gmote: (Official desc:Gmote turns Android into a remote control for a computer, allowing users to run movies and music at a distance. It supports all of the standard remote control features such as play, pause, rewind, volume controls etc. It also has a built-in file browser that lets you select what to play). Only thing is you need to download and run server in your computer. Both phone and computer need to be on same network. Works great. http://www.gmote.org/

Moto Phone Portal: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...o-phone-portal/ . Only tested on Wifi. Use browser to view/add media files on phone, view call log and send/read sms and backup contacts.

Newspapers UK free: Popular UK papers like Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph, Mirror etc. Search the market.

RealCalc Scientific Calculator: A good replacement calculator for default. I removed the stock one.

Proximity Sensor: Currently testing and so far 95% I would say it works great. No idea on battery consumption. More info on XDA here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=594072. By default, Hero screen dim only after 30sec while in call. Enough time to accidentally press End/other keys by your cheek or ear :). This uses light sensor(top-left-side??) and as soon the phone is brought near to cheek/ear, screen dims during calls.

Currently testing ES File Explorer. I think I'll uninstall Astro B)

BTW, Ptruman do you have any new interesting app?

Edited by starfarer

Guest Higgsy

My must have apps are:

Androzip - zip and file manager

AndFTP - FTP client

Speedtest - Speedtest.net connection speed tester

Twigee - Twitter client (Of all the Twitter clients I like this the best)

FX Camera - camera app lets you take photos in different modes - the symatry mode is class!

Pkt Auctions - Ebay Client - makes browsing ebay quick and efficient

Transdroid - bittorrent manager - manage your torrents on the go.

Guest pillock
does anyone know a app that will allow the htc to work as a media server so i can stream all the songs from my pc to my phone on wifi?

Also is there a app that monitors utorrent? I know on a jailbroken iphone there was a app that allows you to view and pause resume downlaods etc.

Transdroid - has an app and a widget to monitor plenty of different Torrent apps on your PC. I use it on both uTorrent on my Windows box, and Transmission on Linux. Highly recommended.

As for HulloMail, I cannot recommend this highly enough. I emailed about my T-Mobile signup problem, and it was because they'd run out of numbers for that network. He put some more on, I signed up and got it a bit wrong, so he reset my account and got me sorted... on Christmas Eve! Really quick support, spot on.

Guest ptruman
FTPServer as described by Ptruman. Thanks for easy guide.

Gmote: (Official desc:Gmote turns Android into a remote control for a computer, allowing users to run movies and music at a distance. It supports all of the standard remote control features such as play, pause, rewind, volume controls etc. It also has a built-in file browser that lets you select what to play). Only thing is you need to download and run server in your computer. Both phone and computer need to be on same network. Works great. http://www.gmote.org/

I might look at this later, does it have Windows & Mac options? I use my PS3 & a NAS for media streaming, so probably won't use this one myself :)

Moto Phone Portal: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...o-phone-portal/ . Only tested on Wifi. Use browser to view/add media files on phone, view call log and send/read sms and backup contacts.

Not played with this yet, although I might - but as SMS Backup runs on my phone, I can see my SMS history, and WaveSecure allows me to pull call history etc B)

Newspapers UK free: Popular UK papers like Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph, Mirror etc. Search the market.

The Sun is not a newspaper ;P

RealCalc Scientific Calculator: A good replacement calculator for default. I removed the stock one.

Proximity Sensor: Currently testing and so far 95% I would say it works great. No idea on battery consumption. More info on XDA here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=594072. By default, Hero screen dim only after 30sec while in call. Enough time to accidentally press End/other keys by your cheek or ear ;). This uses light sensor(top-left-side??) and as soon the phone is brought near to cheek/ear, screen dims during calls.

BTW, Ptruman do you have any new interesting app?

When you're in a call, the screen blanks pretty fast anyway quicker than 30 secs IMO (15 actually, I just timed it!) - I've never had a problem hitting a screen button with my ear (yet!)

And no, no new apps yet - been a shade busy ;)

Edited by ptruman

Guest werziluk

Just want to repeat some of the previously mentioned freebies:

Dolphin Web Browser - The best web browser for android, supports tabs and pinch zooming.

Beeb Player - Works perfectly for me. Used it docked/charged in the car once to watch Top Gear (had a strong H signal) while the missus was in the doctors :)

Gmote - Can use your phones screen as a remote touchpad for you pc or mac.

Facebook - It is getting much better now.

Heres some freebies I would like to recommend:

Audio Manager - Handy widget that controls all volume types.

Adfree - REQUIRES ROOT, blocks all ads in apps, some apps it does it nicely but in others you get blank sections.

Advanced Task Killer - Get the free version and use adfree to remove the ads B) This is the best Task killer UI in my opinon.

Astrid - Very well made to do app with widget.

Color Flashlight - when you need a torch, just use your phone.

Jewels - Addictive game.

Meebo IM - Not the prettiest IM app but defo the most stable and has the biggest selection of account support.

Root Explorer - Should get this with your Modaco ROM or if not get it from the market. This app is the ONLY explorer you need.

ShootMe - Take screenshots of your phones screen.

Space War - Space invaders type game.

Speed Test (ookla) - 3G/Wifi speedtest.

TA Utility - App backup and move google apps and browser cache to SD.

Throttle Copter - Classic chopper game.

Zedge - Great UI, loads of ringtones, message tones and wallpapers.

And some paid for apps:

EasyMoney - The best money manager on Android.

Farm Frenzy - Great farming game with nice controls.

PicSayPro - Picture editor.

Snesoid - SNES emulator that is almost perfect.

Twidroid Pro - Best twitter client in my opinon.

TA Utility - App backup and move google apps and browser cache to SD.

I tried out TA Utility, it managed to create links for the apps then after a reboot the google apps wouldn't work. You can't undo what you have done even though the program claims to be able to.

Also be careful with Google Maps as it makes the link for files instead of cache.

If you move everything to the SD, you will find Google Market will not connect and will force close. As will any of the Google apps.

I had to track down the data and delete the symlinks manually :)

If you've done this, you can find the symlinks in the respective programs in /data/data/ from an adb shell.

Guest starfarer

Wavesecure giving free lifetime service to android users if you register before 31st Jan 2010. Don't have an idea what will be the charge afterwards but from their faq section:

â—¦WaveSecure costs 5 Euros for a 3 month subscription and 15 Euros for a 1 year subscription. WaveSecure is currently available for free for Android users via the Android Market.

My personal hitlist:

AdFree - Block Ads by host file

Aloqua - Alway be local

aTrackDog - Keep track of application updates and quick uninstallation

aNetShare - Wifi Tethering

Autostarts - Block apps from starting up automatically

Estrong File Explorer - File Explorer with root access and LAN access through SMB (FTP as well)

Facebook

K-9 - Stock mail replacement. Get latest one from their website, much better than anything else

Layar - Just for fun

Pkt Auctions ebay - keep track of your ebay auctions

Quick Settings - Wonderful quick settings app. Best IMHO

Robo Defense - Best tower defense game

SDrescan - Quickly scans the SDcard for new files after I've grabbed some new tunes with EStrongs File Explorer from my server

Shazam - Identify tunes on the fly

Shoot U!(lite) - cool game

TaskPanel - Very best task killer. Can handle autokill and ignore lists. autokill will kill all apps in the list, when phone goes into standby. very handy to save battery power and keep phone responsive automatically +++++++

Zedge - Good to restyle your phone

Guest rico2k_uk

Well here is my list (slightly ammended wiht some previous suggestions!)

aFlashlight - screen torch. Really handy app name as its the first icon on the menu

appmanager pro - keep a backup of all the stored apps (not protected). handy for onthe fly installs of other apps while out of signal

bbc news - great portal app

RealCalc Scientific calculator - its a good replacement for the standard one with a classic scientific style! Its named just calculator when installed. great if you are like me and delete all the preinstalled apps that aint used.

Car mode - make the phone always goto loudspeaker automatically when used

dolphin browser - best browser on the market! and its free!

ES File explorer - great app to access sdcard and ftp as well as network drives

ES Taskmanager - keeps those pesky background apps at bay

facebook

gmail icon - its a widget for home screen that shows the number of unread gmail emails you have. very useful

grooveshark - well not used it yet.. will see.

handcent sms - much better then stock

newsrob - if you use greader then use this app!

pixelpipe pro - auto upload all photos to your preselected sites (twitter, facebook, flickr, etc)

secrets - keeps your private info private

shazam

sms backup - backs up all sms to gmail (no restore possible as yet tho)

solitare

swiFTP - best FTP app found so far - also gives you a temp web address to access ftp too!

transdroid - brilliant app! works great with my utorrrent on my dedicated server with web access. i can check progress anywhere in te world!

twidroid pro - best twitter app.

There are LOADS of others i have used, and I am going to get a site up and running to review these apps properly.... some time anyway!

Guest AndyCr15

Am I the only one that doesn't really like the small buttons and overall look of Twidroid? I much prefer Swift. Have you Twidroid users tried it?

Having said that, I am thinking of trying Twidroid Pro, as I would like a widget :?

Guest starfarer
Adfree - REQUIRES ROOT, blocks all ads in apps, some apps it does it nicely but in others you get blank sections.

Thank you very much for this. Now this is what I would say a Must have.... :).