[FULFILLED] Shortcut to USB Connection setting?

Guest wittanny

Guest wittanny

I know we can do it via Settings=>General Settings=>USB Connection but is it possible to create a shortcut right to USB Connection setting page?

Edited by wittanny

Guest emperorben

second this! It would be great if we have an exe file to toggle between Activesync or Mass Storage.

That way, we can apply the exe file in one of the titanium panels.

• 1 month later...
Guest dwallersv

No script necessary.

Simply make a shortcut with the following target:

\Windows\setting_b.exe /USBConnectionMode

The new shortcut will then take you directly to the same settings page that Settings->General Settings->USB Connection takes you to.

Making it easy to switch between active sync, mass storage mode, and the "drive" you're connecting to in MSM.

Guest dwallersv
Does any one can do it with a nice icon?

If I could figure out which dll contains the WM6.5 control panel icons, I'll slap the USB icon on it, and make a cab.

Guest babyjosef17
\Windows\setting_b.exe /USBConnectionMode

Making it easy to switch between active sync, mass storage mode, and the "drive" you're connecting to in MSM.

Somehow this is not working for me. I am using Iphonetoday and created an icon and used your location. But I get an error.

I also tried to run only the \Windows\setting_b.exe w/o the /usbconnectionmode is it normal that nothing will happen?

wm6.5 stock rom J9

Hello,

on my old HTC Diamond i got a bubble that gives me the choice between ActiveSync Mode, Storage Mode and Internet Connection Sharing if i plug in the usb cable. The Samsung Jet (GT-S8000) of my girlfriend has the following options in USB Connection settings...

1. Sync

2. Storage

3. Ask on USB Connect

I configured her the option "Ask on USB Connect". Now she got a bubble everytime she connect via USB with the choice between Sync and Storage. This option would be great on Omnia II too. I don't know why Samsung doesn't give this option to the Omnia... but to the smaller and cheaper Jet.

Regards,

NeoTek

Guest dwallersv
Somehow this is not working for me. I am using Iphonetoday and created an icon and used your location. But I get an error.

I also tried to run only the \Windows\setting_b.exe w/o the /usbconnectionmode is it normal that nothing will happen?

wm6.5 stock rom J9

Samsung may be screwing with us again here... I'm on a Verizon i920, which might be different.

Here's how I determine these shortcuts, which should work for you too. Get FDC Task Manager, and install it. Then, go through the settings to get to the page with the USB Connection settings.

Now, without closing anything, hit the phne hangup (red) button to get back to the shell/today. Run FDC TM. On the Processes tab, examine the running processes. You should find one or more processes with "setting" or "settings" in their name. On the 920, there are two: SettingMain.exe, and setting_b.exe.

Scroll to the right in the Processes display, and you will see the cmdline string that was used to invoke the programs. On the 920, it is setting_b.exe with the option "/USBconnectionMode".

On the 920, invoking setting_b.exe directly with this option brings the USB page up directly.

Note that case may be important on the / switch. I noted that you wrote it in all lowercase in your response -- be sure that you put it in the shortcut exactly as I've written it here (or, in the case of your device, whatever you find with the method above).

As for "setting_b.exe", yes, it will do absolutely nothing if you don't pass it an option it recognizes. It is a child program of the settings hierarchy, and has no main interface. That is provided by SettingMain.exe, which invokes setting_a, setting_b, setting_t, etc., as necessary to get to the specific settings pages.

Guest babyjosef17
Samsung may be screwing with us again here... I'm on a Verizon i920, which might be different.

Here's how I determine these shortcuts, which should work for you too. Get FDC Task Manager, and install it. Then, go through the settings to get to the page with the USB Connection settings.

Now, without closing anything, hit the phne hangup (red) button to get back to the shell/today. Run FDC TM. On the Processes tab, examine the running processes. You should find one or more processes with "setting" or "settings" in their name. On the 920, there are two: SettingMain.exe, and setting_b.exe.

Scroll to the right in the Processes display, and you will see the cmdline string that was used to invoke the programs. On the 920, it is setting_b.exe with the option "/USBconnectionMode".

On the 920, invoking setting_b.exe directly with this option brings the USB page up directly.

Note that case may be important on the / switch. I noted that you wrote it in all lowercase in your response -- be sure that you put it in the shortcut exactly as I've written it here (or, in the case of your device, whatever you find with the method above).

As for "setting_b.exe", yes, it will do absolutely nothing if you don't pass it an option it recognizes. It is a child program of the settings hierarchy, and has no main interface. That is provided by SettingMain.exe, which invokes setting_a, setting_b, setting_t, etc., as necessary to get to the specific settings pages.

Thanks! I will try all these steps later when I have the time. Then will post here the results. Thanks for all the info!

Guest babyjosef17

I tried the steps and it is still not working for me but I think it is because of the UI that I use already, iphonetoday.

I think much easier to just create a normal shortcut. May I ask how to create a shortcut for WM6.5. I know you can copy then paste shortcut the setting_b.exe but how can I edit the shortcut to add the parameters?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wittanny

Got it work finally. Just use \Windows\setting_b.exe /USBconnectionMode like dwallersv suggested

You can use the shortcut I created here

Hope it works for you as well.

USBMode.zip

Edited by wittanny

Guest Dblocker

I'm a Verizon i920 user as well. Is there a similar switch for toggling the backlight on/off instead of going into main settings then power then battery?

Guest dwallersv
I'm a Verizon i920 user as well. Is there a similar switch for toggling the backlight on/off instead of going into main settings then power then battery?

Brightness settings: \windows\setting_t.exe /sc_br

Power settings: \windows\setting_a.exe /pw

USB Connection settings: \windows\setting_b.exe /USBconnectionMode

Buttons settings: \windows\setting_t.exe /bu

Wifi settings: \windows\setting_WiFi.exe /wifi

Guest babyjosef17

Can't believe I forgot to reply here. Just a few minutes after my querrie and I found a program to create shotcut and created a shotcut in the start menu using the parameters you have given us.

It's working like a charm and is one of my most used shotcut now next to file manager.

Thanks for this

• 1 month later...
Guest dsa88
Got it work finally. Just use \Windows\setting_b.exe /USBconnectionMode like dwallersv suggested

You can use the shortcut I created here

Hope it works for you as well.

Great tnx.

I'd like to use it on the main screen, but how to put other icon??

I found

http://oldsap.blogspot.com/2006/07/customi...c-shortcut.html

Part 3: How to customise Shortcut Icons

Firstly, you need to take note of the resource file and the icon index of the icon you wish to use just like Part 2.

In this example, we are going to link to this EXE file:

\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe

The "normal" shortcut file (cedit.lnk) to this program looks like this:

44#"\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe"

You can open the LNK file using Pocket Word in order to see something like what's above. What's the number 44 in front suppose to mean? It's actually the character count for the file, including the "44". You can use the Word Count function in Pocket Word to do a quick check.

Now, let's say we are going to use the same EXE file as the resource file and the icon index we wish to use is 101. So, the icon path is \Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe,-101

In order to use this icon for the shortcut file, this is the preliminary code for the modified shortcut file (cedit.lnk). Note that the "?" sign is used and the icon path is pasted behing the "?" sign.

44#"\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe"?\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe,-101

However, the character count is no longer 44 now. Let's change it.

87#"\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe"?\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe,-101

But... the last number after the comma sign should be ignored in the character count. So, here's the final code for the LNK file.

84#"\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe"?\Storage Card\Logical Sky CEdit\cedit.exe,-101

Now you can save your changes with ease. The shortcut now has a new icon and still works (able to link to program).

Cant figure out how to use that "?" sign with additional parameter /USBconnectionMode

Any hints?

Guest dsa88

@kromo: great, i found these:USB-Colors.zip (attached)

But still have no clue how to integrate icon file with .lnk and forum experts are refusing to help us newbies :huh:

One of ideas i have is to compile in cab or exe both .lnk and .png files, but then - i_dont_know_how

please help, tnx a lot

cheers

USB_Colors.zip

• 3 months later...
Guest p0ck3t.pc

Thanks to dwallersv for shortcut link and DSA88 for the colourful USB icon.

Now I can switch the USB mode easily with one touch.

Just to share the steps to complete this.

1. Copy and paste the USB Function (Shortcut) to Windows\Start Menu\Programs

2. Copy and paste the USB_Function (PNG icon) to Windows\

3. Go to HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\USB Function.lnk

4. Create a new string value there, Name: Icon, String: \Windows\USB_Function.png

5. Reset the phone

6. You will see the icon appear in the Start Menu. You can map it to a button.

Might be other way better than this but just to share.

Thanks.

post-607514-1280981282_thumb.jpg

USB_Function_Mode.zip

• 2 months later...
Guest speedfrog
Thanks to dwallersv for shortcut link and DSA88 for the colourful USB icon.

Now I can switch the USB mode easily with one touch.

(...)

will this work on ROMs without Samsung settings?

if not is there another way?

EDIT:

is not working, its trying to go to "setting_b"

Edited by speedfrog