Verizon i920 Upgrade

Guest Steel Reign
Wow thanks for posting that.

I guess it is too much to ask for a changelog from Samsung...lol

Hopefully this helps with custom roms :).

Guest Bern612

Thanks for posting this. now i am going to orig. omnia site and try to learn how to disassemble this.

remember windows 7 users this is for xp. So you have to chane compatibility to vista

Edited by Bern612

Guest chriswells13
I have found an upgrade to the Verizon Omnia i920 and installed it but I haven't noticed anything new. Anyone know what was changed/fixed?

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/...amp;tab=support

It will be interesting to see if there is any change (for better or worse) to the phones memory situation. Whoever loads this please share that info and any other pros and cons of loading this so that lazy people such as myself can determine if it's worth the trouble to update.

Thanks.

Guest jharbin
using windows 7 has been hanging at 31% for about 15 min now :) getting kinda worried

I upgraded mine using a WinXP machine and the whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

Guest Snow02
using windows 7 has been hanging at 31% for about 15 min now :) getting kinda worried

Did you run it in XP compatibility mode? It's an XP installation program.

Guest 2ksilverbullet
So basically those of us who use Win 7 Home Premium are SOL?

Looks like it. I'm running Home Premium 64bit and it says (straight from MS site):

You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade.

lame....

Guest Shemmy
Looks like it. I'm running Home Premium 64bit and it says (straight from MS site):

You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade.

lame....

I am downloading it right now (I told the web site I had Win 7 Pro). We'll see if I can get it to run.

Guest Snow02
Has anyone noticed what this upgrade includes yet? Does it flash the device when installing?

Upgrade has been taken off-line and the release date moved until tomorrow. Samsung fail?

Guest tedkord
Upgrade has been taken off-line and the release date moved until tomorrow. Samsung fail?

I already pulled it down, if any chefs need it. I tried to uniextract it, but no luck so far.

Guest Bern612

Still trying to get this. Tried on vist,and xp. Neither will reconize it now. I and no did in vista mode cause xp use's activecync. when it boots now 920 says "no charging image download csc binary"

Guest josephsmodaco

Ha. Yeah i just checked the site. Definitely Samsung fail. But at least they are providing support with this upgrade... although we have no idea what it does...

Guest Bern612

lol i guess they read this stuff. Im off to verizon for replacement

Guest Shemmy
I am downloading it right now (I told the web site I had Win 7 Pro). We'll see if I can get it to run.

It wouldn't run on my laptop because it doesn't support hardware virtualization.

Guest emvious

I was able to upgrade my i920 on my Vista machine using the following steps:

1) Remove SD card and reset the phone

2) Connected USB to phone using mobile device center

3) Ran upgrade tool

4) When tool was in the "Restart" screen my phone kept on beeping and didn't restart. I change the windows mobile device center connection setting to NOT "Allow USB Connection" and then I restarted my phone using the phone's reset button

Result: The tool started the upgrade after the phone was restarted.

Initially for step 4 I had just restarted my phone using the phone's restart button, the phone restarted normally and I got a popup error saying something like "Win USB Initialization". I remember seeing this kind of error when I tried flashing my i910 and forgot to uncheck the "Allow USB Connection" for my windows mobile device center.

I notice a little bit better performance with the Samsung UI and I didn't see any major increase RAM availability.

Edited by emvious

Guest surgex

So it looks like this official upgrade isn't much to look forward to -- I hope it helps the chefs though.

I dl'd the complete file before it was taken offline but it looks like someone already up'd it somewhere.

So I guess msg me if you still need it..

Guest Snow02
It wouldn't run on my laptop because it doesn't support hardware virtualization.

Whoever got a copy, make it available? Thanks.

And according to your screenshots, this isn't an upgrade to windows. So it's changing something else, probably samsung UI related, further evidenced by your noting an increase in speed to their apps and not much else. But at least now we have a good image to pick apart.

Edited by Snow02

Guest Shemmy
I was able to upgrade my i920 on my Vista machine using the following steps:

I thought ActiveSync wouldn't run on Vista, how did you get past the ActiveSync warning on the program?