Shuflie

Shuflie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Shuflie

Personally I find it surprising so many people moaning that their calendar on their computer, which is stored soley on their computer, can't be taken with them on their phone.

I used to do it this way, two or three years ago, but syncing across many devices is just silly. Come on people, it's 2010 now, use the cloud B)

That's one of the reasons I love Android and Google. I moved everything over to it, now if anything should happen when I'm out and about, I could even loose my phone, get hold of someone elses and still have access to my calendar and contacts!

Also, e-mail?!?! Why aren't you using IMAP? Surely there's no need to 'sync' e-mail? I could well be missing something as I don't use or necessarily understand Exchange etc...

Another great thing about moving to Google, I can move away from MS Office and Outlook to Thunderbird :)

Perhaps you don't fully understand the concept of a business or enterprise which uses MS Exchange to serve email, calendars addressbooks etc. to its employees? Sure you can have a local calendar store on your computer in outlook, but its much more useful if you actually store it on the exchange server and give others access to it. While you are out and about your colleagues can check your diary to see where you should be at and, if they have been given clearance, can make changes to you schedule if say someone you were meant to be meeting with tomorrow at 2pm can't make it can wants to reschedule the meeting for 3pm. With full exchange sync the changes get pushed directly to your phone and everyone is happy, otherwise someone will have to call you and get you to manually change the meeting time, not so nice if you are on the other side of the world and sleeping at the time.

Posted Image

squirreleater

squirreleater

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero/Nexus one/Galaxy S
  • Twitter:@squirreleater1

Well if you're away from your office, you won't be adding calendar items on the office side, right?

Yes, it's only myself and business partner, if the pc's are off then we are out of the office and won't be adding events, if you add to the phone it won't sync untill the pc is turned on- i think?

This only works for us now, we will need exchange very soon for others to share calanders as well.

People to follow on twitter:

@PaulOBrien -The main man here!
@modacoandroid -News postings from ModacoAndroid.
@squirreleater1 -That'll be me. (Full on Android fanboi!)<cough>
@christonge - fellow news team member.

AndyCr15

AndyCr15

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus
  • Twitter:@AndyCr15

Perhaps you don't fully understand the concept of a business or enterprise which uses MS Exchange to serve email, calendars addressbooks etc. to its employees? Sure you can have a local calendar store on your computer in outlook, but its much more useful if you actually store it on the exchange server and give others access to it. While you are out and about your colleagues can check your diary to see where you should be at and, if they have been given clearance, can make changes to you schedule if say someone you were meant to be meeting with tomorrow at 2pm can't make it can wants to reschedule the meeting for 3pm. With full exchange sync the changes get pushed directly to your phone and everyone is happy, otherwise someone will have to call you and get you to manually change the meeting time, not so nice if you are on the other side of the world and sleeping at the time.

Fair enough, no I didn't fully understand how it works, now I see it does what Google does on my phone/cloud.

Me on Google+ | LAN Gaming in North London
Hemorrdroids.net - Android News, Guide's and App reviews. - @hemorrdroids

Shuflie

Shuflie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Shuflie

Fair enough, no I didn't fully understand how it works, now I see it does what Google does on my phone/cloud.

Pretty much like a fully Google powered system, except it has been approved by the IT departments of most businesses/enterprises. Full exchange support also should allow for remote wiping of the phone in case it gets lost or stolen, at least that's the way it works on windows mobile and the iphone.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users