My first 24hrs of Nexus hell!

Guest TonyL

Well after opening my shiny new device that arrived super fast on Thurs morning - here's my comments so far!

Handset / Form factor

I love the feel, size etc. I always liked the iPhone (just not anything to do with Apple) and always found the HTC HD a touch too big.

Usability

Operating system as expected for 2.z Android is very good. Nice new features, love the look and the fantastic backgrounds you can have that constantly move around. East to navigate etc. - typically Google, no complaints there..

Buttons

Not really sold on these yet. I prefer a proper button, as you got with the Hero.. I also miss the hard button to end a call... Maybe its due to the form factor, but I'm sure they could have done something... I also find the buttons a little unresponsive.

Call Quality

Superb and I have to say that the feature of the screen going off as you place it to your ear and coming on again as you move it away from your ear (aka iPhone) SO much better!! On the Hero I was always cutting the call off when my ear touched the screen!

Email:

What on earth where they thinking. I expected at the very least to be able to synch my outlook account on my PC - that gives me contacts/calendar at least. I was hoping the HTC Synch tool that I used on my HTC would do the trick - apparently not! (come on HTC, zip this out and I'll have your children!) So here's the issue: how do I get my Outlook data from my PC to the device? Essentially you're stuffed without having to rely on third party tools! How dumb is that!!

Test one:

Exchange email - fairly simple you think. Let Exchange do that email/calendar and contacts - oh no... I find that Exchange synch (for those that have an exchange server in the first place!) only synch's contacts and email - NO CALENDAR - what's that all about?

Test two:

gSynchit http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml - well this seems ok. Essentially this product installs a plug-in on to your PC, and synch's data to a Gmail account. Seems pretty mush ok so far, though I need to buy it really to test full functionality. It works like this:

Calendar in Outlook on PC > Gmail Calendar > Nexus

Contacts in Outlook on PC > Gmail Contacts > Nexus

Notes in Outlook on PC > Google Docs > Nexus

Better than nothing, seems to work so far with the trial I have. I'll give this a go to see what happens.. I just hope someone at HTC can re work the HTC Synch..

update:

After buying the full programme it works a treat!! Well done to Dave!

Test Three:

Companion Link http://www.companionlink.com/android/index.html These guys do two versions Over the air as in gSynchit or via the USB cable.. I went to down load the app and saw so many bad reviews of the USB Synch that I decided to give it a miss! Also looking at the "How to Synch" it would seem that it exports and then imports the data... not very clever..

Update:

Download Google synch for calendar here: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin...mp;answer=89955

It will sync between outlook and Google calendar only, no contacts

Facebook

very smart and imports everything as you'd expect

Widgets

There were some great widgets on the Hero from HTC. Its such a shame that Google didnt bring lots of them over - even if we only have the choice or not of installing them. I loved the times and date widgets with the weather attached.. just hope HTC get it into Market place.

Micro USB

At least they followed the standard: http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/press-rel...s/2009/2548.htm

Applications

Nothing to gripe about so far... there are rumours that there are a few apps that have crashed - yet to hear more back on this

Accessories

Skins - so far www.bestskinsever.com and www.Zagg.com have them - I love bestskinsever as they are much cheaper and superb customer services

Cradles - none yet

Car Kits - none that I have found

Comments overall

Come on Google even Apple sorted out the Outlook Synch issue. I know Google loves the "cloud" but we're not all there yet and I certainly don't really fancy all my personal data being sat with Google. I've dealt with Google on a corporate solution for Google docs, essentially I had little choice - their data privacy policy is ok and the deal seems to be that your data is encrypted and can be spanned across loads of servers. They have also had a fair amount of downtime recently which means your email is down as well and there's no one to call!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/28/gmail...mail-deletions/

I'll post more as I work my way through the phone.

Edited by TonyL

No problem what so ever...(well, Google Nav dont work in UK..)

Other than the envious eyes from iphone owners and their desperate attempts to defend iPhone as a better phone than Nexus One :)

Edited by cezent

Guest martinbrook

I have Touchdown on my N1 (5 day trial) and look good, loads of configuration items, $20 I think.

I agreed we should not have to go down this route on this flagship phone but I need FULL exchange connectivity.

Well after opening my shiny new device that arrived super fast on Thurs morning - here's my comments so far!

Handset / Form factor

I love the feel, size etc. I always liked the iPhone (just not anything to do with Apple) and always found the HTC HD a touch too big.

Usability

Operating system as expected for 2.z Android is very good. Nice new features, love the look and the fantastic backgrounds you can have that constantly move around. East to navigate etc. - typically Google, no complaints there..

Buttons

Not really sold on these yet. I prefer a proper button, as you got with the Hero.. I also miss the hard button to end a call... Maybe its due to the form factor, but I'm sure they could have done something... I also find the buttons a little unresponsive.

Call Quality

Superb and I have to say that the feature of the screen going off as you place it to your ear and coming on again as you move it away from your ear (aka iPhone) SO much better!! On the Hero I was always cutting the call off when my ear touched the screen!

Email:

What on earth where they thinking. I expected at the very least to be able to synch my outlook account on my PC - that gives me contacts/calendar at least. I was hoping the HTC Synch tool that I used on my HTC would do the trick - apparently not! (come on HTC, zip this out and I'll have your children!) So here's the issue: how do I get my Outlook data from my PC to the device? Essentially you're stuffed without having to rely on third party tools! How dumb is that!!

Test one:

Exchange email - fairly simple you think. Let Exchange do that email/calendar and contacts - oh no... I find that Exchange synch (for those that have an exchange server in the first place!) only synch's contacts and email - NO CALENDAR - what's that all about?

Test two:

gSynchit http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml - well this seems ok. Essentially this product installs a plug-in on to your PC, and synch's data to a Gmail account. Seems pretty mush ok so far, though I need to buy it really to test full functionality. It works like this:

Calendar in Outlook on PC > Gmail Calendar > Nexus

Contacts in Outlook on PC > Gmail Contacts > Nexus

Notes in Outlook on PC > Google Docs > Nexus

Better than nothing, seems to work so far with the trial I have. I'll give this a go to see what happens.. I just hope someone at HTC can re work the HTC Synch..

Test Three:

Companion Link http://www.companionlink.com/android/index.html These guys do two versions Over the air as in gSynchit or via the USB cable.. I went to down load the app and saw so many bad reviews of the USB Synch that I decided to give it a miss! Also looking at the "How to Synch" it would seem that it exports and then imports the data... not very clever..

Facebook

very smart and imports everything as you'd expect

Widgets

There were some great widgets on the Hero from HTC. Its such a shame that Google didnt bring lots of them over - even if we only have the choice or not of installing them. I loved the times and date widgets with the weather attached.. just hope HTC get it into Market place.

Micro USB

At least they followed the standard: http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/press-rel...s/2009/2548.htm

Applications

Nothing to gripe about so far... there are rumours that there are a few apps that have crashed - yet to hear more back on this

Accessories

Skins - so far www.bestskinsever.com and www.Zagg.com have them - I love bestskinsever as they are much cheaper and superb customer services

Cradles - none yet

Car Kits - none that I have found

Comments overall

Come on Google even Apple sorted out the Outlook Synch issue. I know Google loves the "cloud" but we're not all there yet and I certainly don't really fancy all my personal data being sat with Google. I've dealt with Google on a corporate solution for Google docs, essentially I had little choice - their data privacy policy is ok and the deal seems to be that your data is encrypted and can be spanned across loads of servers. They have also had a fair amount of downtime recently which means your email is down as well and there's no one to call!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/28/gmail...mail-deletions/

I'll post more as I work my way through the phone.

Im quite stunned that Google have missed the boat on this one - not everyone can move to Google cloud for everything! Missing out on full Exchange synch stops this phone from being an iPhone killer and has taken them back years!

Wake up google! Once people realise this is so tied into google everyone will just snap up the new Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 which omes with FULL Exchange active Synch - I hear coming to T-Mobile Q1 sometime..

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10622.html

It's worth highlighting that the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 also incorporates Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (the full package). By utilizing Android, users of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 can also download third-party applications from both PlayNow and Android Market.

Says it all really!

You don't fancy Google handling your personal data, but you fancy complete strangers handling your money?

Guest Mantisen

I have to agree that the lack of full Exchange sync is perhaps Google's biggest miss on the phone, even if I dont personally use Exchange. For example Apple didn't manage to interest cooperations/workers to buy their phone before they fixed the Exchange sync since it's still the most common way for companies to distribute their mail, calendar, and contacts (even if this is something that Google wants to change).

Perhaps Google have relied to much on the community of developers to release apps to solve what they miss?

Guest martinbrook
I use it and it does the job perfectly.

What happens when I'm away from the office and I don't have my laptop switched on?

This only seems to work if you have a pc connected to do the sync.

thla strangers can handle my money for sure, if you're referring to banks - but banks are regulated around the world FSA, FED, SEC, etc. That's the same quote I had from my friend at Google - but then is Google regulated - hell no...! Just search the internet for "Is Google regulated" - having worked in IT Security with High St and investment banks for years, I know how well everything is protected.. When you ask Google "so how do you protect my data" you get the glum response "trust us".

re Google synch - I saw that, it only does calendar, no contacts... :)

thla strangers can handle my money for sure, if you're referring to banks - but banks are regulated around the world FSA, FED, SEC, etc. That's the same quote I had from my friend at Google - but then is Google regulated - hell no...! Just search the internet for "Is Google regulated" - having worked in IT Security with High St and investment banks for years, I know how well everything is protected.. When you ask Google "so how do you protect my data" you get the glum response "trust us".

re Google synch - I saw that, it only does calendar, no contacts... :)

If you think Google doesn't have laws to follow in regards to privacy, then you're mistaken, as for regulation, well we can see just how good regulation went in regards to our current financial situation. I trust Google more with my "personal" data, than i trust most banks with my money.

Guest slimfady
What happens when I'm away from the office and I don't have my laptop switched on?

This only seems to work if you have a pc connected to do the sync.

Well if you're away from your office, you won't be adding calendar items on the office side, right?

Guest AntonyW999

Mine absolutely was. First phone I've had in a long time where I've had to troll the internet looking for the APN settings before I could actually start using the phone. O2 came up in the list of networks but it didn't load any settings. First video I shot with it caused the phone to lock up necessitating a battery pull to get it going again. The screen calibration is off particularly on the back, menu, home and search icons, and typing is almost as annoying as the iPhone because of this. The colours are frankly awful, no photo actually looks anywhere close to reality, and the camera has the trademark HTC pink splodge midscreen. Apart from loading the media gallery, and the applications list, it isn't significantly quicker than the Motorola Milestone, which I've now returned to. This will either be on eBay or winging it's way back to Google, depending on whether I get my import duty cost back if I return it.

I'm hoping the Xperia X10 is actually as good as it's starting to look. That's going to be my next purchase. Don't believe the hype, this is no "superphone".

AntonyW999 : Ive head that T-Mobile are going to ship the Sony Xperia X10 - its looking pretty good! I wrote to a mate at Google today asking if he knows whether the import duty etc has been paid, he believed it has been - though yet to be confirmed, otherwise we're looking at this:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...000014#P36_3279

Ive also asked him whether Google actually got external people to try out the phone, I get the impression they didnt. Such a shame, just some small updates to the Excange Synch and an Outlook Synch product, plus make sure the OS worked properly.. HTC did a good job on the Hero.

I hope that Voda are going to re work the phone before retailing it.

I was looking forward to the X10 as well, but then i learned it didn't have an AMOLED screen, and it was Android 1.6, i've previously been a Sony Ericsson fan, but i've learned that it's simply not affordable to trust them anymore, i don't expect that X10 will ever receive the Android 2.0/2.1 upgrade, if it does then it'll be because they made it before release.

All SE Phones i've had, have had so much promise, and eventually been stamped out after a few months, and all the improvements promised for their previous device, now goes to their new flagship model, for example the X1 were promised an update which was never released, now those updates are rolled into the X2 instead, in the end i've lost a lot of trust and respect with SE and i fully support Google, and even Apple's way of having a single operating system for their systems, but i guess we'll see.

I hope Google react quickly and get the bugs fixed and extra's added. Even though its been a right pain in the a**e I do like the device...!

There are already people out there converting the HTC Widgets, which Ive added and its looking better all the time. I like the Facebook/contact integration.. I found that I needed to re do some contacts as they werent tied together properply at first, but once I named the properly and removed nick names etc its all good.

The only other niggle is the ability to save attachments. I emailed an MP3 ring tune and all I can do it play it! Bummer - might out a post on that topic :)

Guest SwedBear
Well if you're away from your office, you won't be adding calendar items on the office side, right?

Um, why not? We use Zimbra and have several ActiveSync rules set up (must support remote wipe, password sync and a few others) and with my old iPhone I had no problems bringing both my calendar and mail with me on the run. And yes, I did set up meetings on the "office side" while I was out meeting people. With my Liquid (and soon Nexus One) I have to use a third-party app (in my case RoadSync) to do it and it is far less well integrated on my phone as it was on the iPhone.

Face it - as long as google doesn't fully support the full ruleset of ActiveSync Android won't make it into the corporation-world. Just go to Google's support forum and see some of the threads regarding this. Lots of corporate IT-guys saying they want to switch from iPhone/Blackberry to mainly the Droid (and now Nexus One) but won't as they won't lower the security settings just because Android does not support it.

Now - I'm sure this will be sorted out soon as the Nexus Two is intended for corporate users but it still is an annoying missing feature right now.

Guest Mantisen
Now - I'm sure this will be sorted out soon as the Nexus Two is intended for corporate users but it still is an annoying missing feature right now.

Hopefully, since IF Android manages to muscle in to the corporation market there will (probably) be more big developers jumping on the app development train :) I don't mind if the app costs a few €, good apps are worth it B)

Guest AndyCr15

Personally I find it surprising so many people moaning that their calendar on their computer, which is stored soley on their computer, can't be taken with them on their phone.

I used to do it this way, two or three years ago, but syncing across many devices is just silly. Come on people, it's 2010 now, use the cloud B)

That's one of the reasons I love Android and Google. I moved everything over to it, now if anything should happen when I'm out and about, I could even loose my phone, get hold of someone elses and still have access to my calendar and contacts!

Also, e-mail?!?! Why aren't you using IMAP? Surely there's no need to 'sync' e-mail? I could well be missing something as I don't use or necessarily understand Exchange etc...

Another great thing about moving to Google, I can move away from MS Office and Outlook to Thunderbird :)

Guest Shuflie
Personally I find it surprising so many people moaning that their calendar on their computer, which is stored soley on their computer, can't be taken with them on their phone.

I used to do it this way, two or three years ago, but syncing across many devices is just silly. Come on people, it's 2010 now, use the cloud B)

That's one of the reasons I love Android and Google. I moved everything over to it, now if anything should happen when I'm out and about, I could even loose my phone, get hold of someone elses and still have access to my calendar and contacts!

Also, e-mail?!?! Why aren't you using IMAP? Surely there's no need to 'sync' e-mail? I could well be missing something as I don't use or necessarily understand Exchange etc...

Another great thing about moving to Google, I can move away from MS Office and Outlook to Thunderbird :)

Perhaps you don't fully understand the concept of a business or enterprise which uses MS Exchange to serve email, calendars addressbooks etc. to its employees? Sure you can have a local calendar store on your computer in outlook, but its much more useful if you actually store it on the exchange server and give others access to it. While you are out and about your colleagues can check your diary to see where you should be at and, if they have been given clearance, can make changes to you schedule if say someone you were meant to be meeting with tomorrow at 2pm can't make it can wants to reschedule the meeting for 3pm. With full exchange sync the changes get pushed directly to your phone and everyone is happy, otherwise someone will have to call you and get you to manually change the meeting time, not so nice if you are on the other side of the world and sleeping at the time.

Guest squirreleater

Yes, it's only myself and business partner, if the pc's are off then we are out of the office and won't be adding events, if you add to the phone it won't sync untill the pc is turned on- i think?

This only works for us now, we will need exchange very soon for others to share calanders as well.

Guest AndyCr15
Perhaps you don't fully understand the concept of a business or enterprise which uses MS Exchange to serve email, calendars addressbooks etc. to its employees? Sure you can have a local calendar store on your computer in outlook, but its much more useful if you actually store it on the exchange server and give others access to it. While you are out and about your colleagues can check your diary to see where you should be at and, if they have been given clearance, can make changes to you schedule if say someone you were meant to be meeting with tomorrow at 2pm can't make it can wants to reschedule the meeting for 3pm. With full exchange sync the changes get pushed directly to your phone and everyone is happy, otherwise someone will have to call you and get you to manually change the meeting time, not so nice if you are on the other side of the world and sleeping at the time.

Fair enough, no I didn't fully understand how it works, now I see it does what Google does on my phone/cloud.

Guest Shuflie
Fair enough, no I didn't fully understand how it works, now I see it does what Google does on my phone/cloud.

Pretty much like a fully Google powered system, except it has been approved by the IT departments of most businesses/enterprises. Full exchange support also should allow for remote wiping of the phone in case it gets lost or stolen, at least that's the way it works on windows mobile and the iphone.