155 replies to this topic

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Devices:Verizon SCH-i920 Omnia II
Omega Ra phrased it very well. Clearing out all the VZW and Samsung Apps that many of us don't use frees up space for other programs and allows each user more flexibility and freedom with how they want their phone set up. You can never have enough free RAM. I have 3GB in my laptop, and the one other OS I love to run besides Windows 7 is a derivative of Ubuntu called "Crunch-Bang Linux." Running that, I usually have 2.5GB of RAM free. If you like to multi-task, it's really helpful. With the i920, music and vide are a strong point. I like having plenty of RAM free for running media programs along with the web. Also, that free RAM will come in handy whenever you run Opera or Skyfire. I went ahead and cooked in OpenGL V1, which last I checked was the newest video driver for the Omnia II (the hardware in the phone is great, but the original drivers weren't - OpenGL resolves most of that issue). Besides, this ROM is based off WM 6.5.3, which has quite a few finger-friendly UI enhancements.

Posted Image

HOOLA

HOOLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:movies<br />Love my job.. *fast food manager*<br />Keeping up to date with tech.<br />Reading blogs<br />
  • Devices:DROID *verizon*
nervous.... Im flashing now.. gulp. this is the first time i have ever did anything like this. ahhhh

**first boot.. 230 main storage free... 85ram. yay .. now for some playing.
Thanks for the lite rom !!!!!

Edited by HOOLA, 28 January 2010 - 04:47 AM.

Snow02

Snow02

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Devices:Omnia SCH-i920
Any instructions somewhere on cabbing Swype so i can add it back in?

Edited by Snow02, 28 January 2010 - 05:58 AM.

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Any instructions somewhere on cabbing Swype so i can add it back in?

Check your PM

Posted Image

HOOLA

HOOLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:movies<br />Love my job.. *fast food manager*<br />Keeping up to date with tech.<br />Reading blogs<br />
i dont know much about stuff like this and i love the lite rom indeed. But how do i turn off the phone? heh i use to hold down the end button and it gave me an option. Is there a way to create shortcut or map button?

Thanks again for this. Phone even seems to feel lighter in my hands hehe.

**i would like to cook office **word** back in.

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

i dont know much about stuff like this and i love the lite rom indeed. But how do i turn off the phone? heh i use to hold down the end button and it gave me an option. Is there a way to create shortcut or map button?

Thanks again for this. Phone even seems to feel lighter in my hands hehe.

**i would like to cook office **word** back in.

I haven't had any issues with the end call button not bringing up the shutdown option. Can anyone else who's flashed my ROM try this out to see if it's a problem? I need to know if I accidentally broke something during my trimming process - I'll check on it over the course of the day, also.

I suppose you could remove most of the Office programs from the SYS folder so that just Word was installed on the ROM. However, you could just download the Office 2010 cab from XDA or elsewhere and install it to "My Storage."

Posted Image

HOOLA

HOOLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I haven't had any issues with the end call button not bringing up the shutdown option. Can anyone else who's flashed my ROM try this out to see if it's a problem? I need to know if I accidentally broke something during my trimming process - I'll check on it over the course of the day, also.

I suppose you could remove most of the Office programs from the SYS folder so that just Word was installed on the ROM. However, you could just download the Office 2010 cab from XDA or elsewhere and install it to "My Storage."

did a clear storage and hard reset the phone and the shutdown issue i had has gone away. it works now. I wander if it had to do with when i flashed the rom i checked to keep storage untouched in the loader program. I am really dumb when it comes to stuff like this heh. But i love your rom. I got word put back on too And how did i ever live without arcswitch? hehe Thanks!!!

Edited by HOOLA, 28 January 2010 - 01:42 PM.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000 Omnia 2

Flashing instructions for octans can be found here: http://www.modaco.co...g-rom-on-i8000/

Repository for Samsung apps is here: http://www.modaco.co...abs-repository/

Are the flashing guide and cabs for the i8000 good for the i920 too?
Do maybe need any update or additional infos?

HOOLA

HOOLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

i have a verizon i920 and used the quide. I did have to do the flashing on my xp machine. Im not to tech savy for much involvment.

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

did a clear storage and hard reset the phone and the shutdown issue i had has gone away. it works now. I wander if it had to do with when i flashed the rom i checked to keep storage untouched in the loader program. I am really dumb when it comes to stuff like this heh. But i love your rom. I got word put back on too And how did i ever live without arcswitch? hehe Thanks!!!

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate them.

The flashing guide for the i8000 using octans is the exact same, and all the cabs in the i8000 repo work on the i920. The only exception is the SMS-MMS cab.

Posted Image

jpenman

jpenman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Check your PM

think I can get a PM for swype as well

GuinnessGuy74

GuinnessGuy74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great work. I could use the Swype instructions also!

Thanks!

compnird

compnird

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Devices:VZW i920 (OMNIA II)
Thinking of flashing. Just curious if re-loading the Samsung Dialer maps the phone key correctly. I actually like the Sammy Dialer and will add it back in.

Also, did you leave in the default Samsung Lockscene or use the standard WM version? If the latter, do all the buttons lock while the lockscreen is on or can the camera key still unlock it?

Thanks for all your hard work to get this out there! I hope we can build up as many options as the i910 has. :)

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Great work. I could use the Swype instructions also!

Thanks!

I do not have a cab for Swype, nor will I make one. What I will do is PM you with information.

Thinking of flashing. Just curious if re-loading the Samsung Dialer maps the phone key correctly. I actually like the Sammy Dialer and will add it back in.

Also, did you leave in the default Samsung Lockscene or use the standard WM version? If the latter, do all the buttons lock while the lockscreen is on or can the camera key still unlock it?

Thanks for all your hard work to get this out there! I hope we can build up as many options as the i910 has. :)

I haven't tried re-loading the Samsung dialer, so I can't give an affirmative answer. I do believe it should resolve the issue. I removed the Samsung lock screen. It's replaced with the WM one. You can have either the WM 6.1 or the WM 6.5 lock - just look at the Smart Lock options. All the buttons are locked with this.

On a side note, I've discovered that when you open Touch Player, it gives a lockscene.exe error - it's a bit of a nuisance, but it doesn't affect the usability of the program. Apparently, Samsung decided to tie the code of Touch Player to their lock screen B)

Posted Image

Omega Ra

Omega Ra

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia 2 i920

I do not have a cab for Swype, nor will I make one. What I will do is PM you with information.
I haven't tried re-loading the Samsung dialer, so I can't give an affirmative answer. I do believe it should resolve the issue. I removed the Samsung lock screen. It's replaced with the WM one. You can have either the WM 6.1 or the WM 6.5 lock - just look at the Smart Lock options. All the buttons are locked with this.

On a side note, I've discovered that when you open Touch Player, it gives a lockscene.exe error - it's a bit of a nuisance, but it doesn't affect the usability of the program. Apparently, Samsung decided to tie the code of Touch Player to their lock screen :)

That is because the lockscreen has controls for touchplayer built in.

Posted Image

das7771

das7771

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Devices:VZW GS3, Nexus 7, TF300t
Installed this rom and so it seems to be working well. Will test and report any bugs I might find. One thing I have tried to do is get back the samsung dialer. The only file I can find in the repo is the endabledialerskin.cab and that does not work. Installing it has no effect. The phone button still does not work and the skin is the same. Is this the correct file or is there one I am missing. I really would like to have the dialer back and my button working. Also is there any way I can map the main hardware button (under the word samsung) to open the start menu. I suck a registries so if some one could tell me what to edit I would apreciate it. I am a noob at this kinda stuff. I flash my phones all of the time, but thats about it.

Thanks for your hard work Shemmy!!

Update

The lock screen is really eratic. When the phone wakes up it shows one of the samsung backgrounds for a second then it goes black then it will go to the windows unlock screen. Also while the phone is asleep I can here the lock/unlock noise while the phone is just sitting there unused. It does not do it all of the time but it has happened 3 times in the last 10 minutes.

I will try a hard reset and see if that helps with the lockscreen prob.

Edited by das7771, 28 January 2010 - 09:23 PM.

I Don't Trust Anyone Who Doesn't Eat Meat!!

Shemmy

Shemmy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Installed this rom and so it seems to be working well. Will test and report any bugs I might find. One thing I have tried to do is get back the samsung dialer. The only file I can find in the repo is the endabledialerskin.cab and that does not work. Installing it has no effect. The phone button still does not work and the skin is the same. Is this the correct file or is there one I am missing. I really would like to have the dialer back and my button working.

You may not be able to get the Samsung dailer back while using my ROM. It isn't something I've tried.

Also is there any way I can map the main hardware button (under the word samsung) to open the start menu. I suck a registries so if some one could tell me what to edit I would apreciate it. I am a noob at this kinda stuff. I flash my phones all of the time, but thats about it.

Settings -> Personal -> Buttons will give you the option to set programs for pressing and holding button 1 (the one under "Samsung" on the front of the phone) and button 2 (the "OK" button on the left side).

The lock screen is really eratic. When the phone wakes up it shows one of the samsung backgrounds for a second then it goes black then it will go to the windows unlock screen. Also while the phone is asleep I can here the lock/unlock noise while the phone is just sitting there unused. It does not do it all of the time but it has happened 3 times in the last 10 minutes.

Settings -> System -> Smart Lock will bring you to the lock screen settings.

Posted Image

chesterbro

chesterbro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:Omnia 2
Im curious, are any of you using Win7 to flash the ROM?

Ive followed the instructions that Shemmy linked us to on procedures for flashing ROM and im having an issue when it says to plug the phone to the computer (phone is initially off) and update the Samsung MITs driver. when i first plug in my turned off phone it tries to install a driver but at some point it says its unable to. and of course when i look at the device manager, there is no Samsung MIT driver for me to update. Is anyone else having this issue?

I successfully flashed my ROM (thanks Shemmy) on my brothers computer but hes using XP SP3 and he doesnt live with me. I want to get it to work on my Win7 so i dont always have to go to my brothers place just to flash the ROM.

Thanks,

ChesterBro

bga7x

bga7x

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  • Interests:Phones, Photos, and Soccer!!!
  • Devices:Moto Droid
  • Twitter:@bgill55

Im curious, are any of you using Win7 to flash the ROM?

Ive followed the instructions that Shemmy linked us to on procedures for flashing ROM and im having an issue when it says to plug the phone to the computer (phone is initially off) and update the Samsung MITs driver. when i first plug in my turned off phone it tries to install a driver but at some point it says its unable to. and of course when i look at the device manager, there is no Samsung MIT driver for me to update. Is anyone else having this issue?

I successfully flashed my ROM (thanks Shemmy) on my brothers computer but hes using XP SP3 and he doesnt live with me. I want to get it to work on my Win7 so i dont always have to go to my brothers place just to flash the ROM.

Thanks,

ChesterBro

I cook and flash with W7

Radioman96p71

Radioman96p71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I have the same problem, from what i can tell the Omnia II only gives you about 10 seconds to access the USB port on the phone before it kicks into booting up to windows. Im guessing this is like some kind of POST like you would see on a normal PC. The problem i have is that Windows is a little slow on the draw and tries to download its own 12MB driver from Windows Update, well this takes a while and by the time its done, the phone is already booted and Device Installer gives you a "device unplugged" error. I tried to manually force the x64 driver but it still refuses to be recognized. A virtual machine had the same result because Windows 7 has to know how to talk to the phone so that the virtual machine inside it can too. A bit of a catch 22. If anyone knows how to make this happen without referencing the above stated tutorial im all ears, i have had no success.

- Radioman96p71
------------------------------
My Files:
ROMs and Files for Samsung i920

* Chefs & Devs: Contact me for free filehosting of Omnia II stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users