Is this the end?

Guest is77gal

From recent events I get the ideea that we're nearing the end of omnia2 time and I wonder what to do next. I also think this might be a question on many of your minds....do we keep or sell the unit? Right now my o2 is set up with kstan lite 6.5.5 rom and gchris theme..it's cool in terms of look but still it lacks something...ram and it also lacks games and 3d software. What do you guys think....any1 interesred in buying an omnia?

Guest surethom

As soon as Motorola release there Motoroi with Xenon flash (hopefully upgraded processor) I am selling mu i8000, I am fed up of waiting for Samsung to support this phone & release an oficial 6.5.3 / 6.5.5 update, or even an update that speeds up the windows mobile 6.5 threaded sms which is slow beond a joke.

I say Sell, Sell, but it does depend on what you will be replacing it will???

This will be my last Windows mobile phone as I hate the windows phone 7 home screen & menus, the look, scrolling left look awful aswell.

Guest dothan

It is a sad fact that Samsung release Omnia II just to fill in the gap before official WM7 released.

I don't see their initiative to further improve the phone since the official IJ9 WM 6.5 release. As of everyone here know, IJ9 is being bugged with slowness, unexplained RAM leaking and poor software support of the hardware spec. I don't see any official software to show its compass capability yet to say the stupid threaded SMS support. It doesn't make sense for a user to throw off all the unnecessary shits which came as a default within the ROM. As a user, we cook the ROM to maximize the phone. We pay and we suffer, a truly sad story.

I am planning to sell of my i8000 and go for android. And I won't buy Samsung phone anymore regardless it is BADA, Android or WM.

Guest kdkinc

Its a long slippery slope but I believe the "robot" will be the future of mobile phones.

I really like my VZW i920 omnia because I can still mess with it to make it better IMHO.

I'm hesitant to go to a wm7 lock-down type phone that only lets you use Marketplace to get apps.

Android type phone allow 3rd party apps which on the most part allow freedom of choice to make it better IMHO.

HTC & Motorola both seem to have some fine phones coming so its good to be able to stand by and see the future unveil .

In answer is this Omnia's end ?

Well there is still a pulse but the signs do not look to good.

:) ;)

Guest is77gal

as i said i like the way my o2 looks right now and i also find it borring and tiresome the way android uses 5\7 screens (nexus/desire)....i like having everything i need on just a screen...i must admit that o2 was my first wm unit, learned alot, found the yays abd nays and i also need to say that i was fooled by the specs of o2...thought i was gonna get gaming and business perfomance out of it...while lately i came to realise that phones this day are still a long way from allowing to compose anything more than mails, in the section of games i still drewl over iphone and hate samsung for giving birth with wm to such a beautifull retard supermodel..that's why, after checking gsmarena and reading the latest news about wp7 think that it will do us good. iphone os, at first didnt really support multitasking and through apps it does...i believe that microsoft cant be that stupid not enable the usage of , lets say music while browsing, while having under the hood at least 1 ghz cpu etc...they have to allow for some multitask...minimal at least...i also dont know what to say about htc and robot....i'd buy one tomorow but what are the cons to android...and also are there real nice games?

Guest kdkinc

You bring a lot to the table with great thought many I totally agree with. ;)

From what I've seen. A LOT of great chef's have gone robot and very few returned some that did come back then got recaptured by the robot. :)

When I do renew I most likely will do a one year plan with VZW instead of two year pain (not typo)

:P ;)

Edited by kdkinc

Guest tacchan23

Honestly i'm happy with my phone (maybe couse I don't care about games or 3d graphics).

For my personal usage, I wouldn't see much of a difference in having some more RAM or faster CPU (of course it would be better, but not worth the trouble to move to android or the extra money to buy a new phone).

I don't like wm7 and think android is not good enough atm. When I'll buy a new phone in a year or two, I'll see^^

Guest xenothrix
It is a sad fact that Samsung release Omnia II just to fill in the gap before official WM7 released.

I don't see their initiative to further improve the phone since the official IJ9 WM 6.5 release. As of everyone here know, IJ9 is being bugged with slowness, unexplained RAM leaking and poor software support of the hardware spec. I don't see any official software to show its compass capability yet to say the stupid threaded SMS support. It doesn't make sense for a user to throw off all the unnecessary shits which came as a default within the ROM. As a user, we cook the ROM to maximize the phone. We pay and we suffer, a truly sad story.

I am planning to sell of my i8000 and go for android. And I won't buy Samsung phone anymore regardless it is BADA, Android or WM.

second this, frankly, i didnt follow windows mobile's future plan prior to buying my omnia II. i had only research for omnia II's major and minor problem prior to the purchase, which was a kinda spontaneous purchase also. up till the 1st month only i found some problem with my phone and I decide to send it back to make some noise since it's barely used within the 1st month. to my horror, the service center at the city center provided sub-par service with hint of needing to go to their HQ at a further location to get better service. I am very pissed off with their support partner selection as well as Samsung's online email respond. Same goes to me, Omnia II will be my first and the last Samsung. Regret for neglecting better quality to compensate with a higher CPU clock speed and "supposedly" better graphic performance on omnia II.

On a user's end, I am very disappointed with their old problematic firmware, let alone the unsupported "graphic acceleration hardware". I guess android will be a better choice. i see improvement in secany-released firmwares. but too bad those firmware never reach samsung official release.

Edited by xenothrix

Guest ED2O9

Just last night, I stopped in at an AT&T store and was playing with a 3Gs iPhone. I really like the flexibility of my Omnia 2, but it still amazed me how smooth the iPhone runs especially considering that it's not exactly the newest phone on the market. The 3D graphics and integrated video of games like Need For Speed: Undercover made Asphalt 4 look like an old Sega Genesis game. On the positive side, aside from the glitzy games, almost all of the showcase apps they had installed on the demo unit run just fine on my O2 (Shazam, Pandora, AP News, etc). Throw in the nicer screen, multi-tasking, a nice 5MP camera, Micro SD slot, and the ability to actually REPLACE your battery(!!!), and the Omnia 2 doesn't look too bad. It's just a shame that Samsung seems content on just cranking out 5 new phones a month for the various carriers instead of taking the time to ones already on the market run properly.

As for the OpenGL drivers, I don't think a petition or any amount of complaining will make a bit of difference. Personally, I think it would make more sense for everyone interested to pledge money to go into a "bounty" to the first developer who can write drivers that allow the Omnia 2 to hit a certain benchmark. There are lots of skilled developers out there, and money talks.

Guest insane73

I like the Omnia2, and am quite satisfied with the ease of certain features. Outlook integration and plug and play Divx/Xvid movies to my LCD TV was the biggest seller. It still functions to my original expectations, and in some cases have surprised me to what I can do with it.

+1 to keep my Omnia2 as Samsung will always be one of my favourite brands for any type of electronic device.

Guest is77gal

second the idea of a bounty....as for tachaan...i respect your words for your contribution here...however...theres not enough ram on the o2/or management of it to surf the web with anything else than opera mini...anything else is to much for this phones little hear to take...

Guest lupus_hegemonia

I bought my i900 before one year... and I don't plan to replace it, at least in the next 3 years!

Reasons?

First, a mobile phone is a high-tec merchandise (like a camera or a television), it's not a... pair of shoes!!! We don't have to buying every single new technology's phone is released...

Second, the OMNIA is not... Nokia 2125, yet! OMNIA still is a great, a superb smartphone and I NEVER met a single person that is using 100% OMNIA's capabilities/features, to justify the need of a better/new/more modern phone.

And third... it's a bloody finance crisis all over the world, to changing/replacing EXPENSIVE phones in 12-18 months!

To me, those people that replacing very soon their phones (especialy in our modern times, when the phones are small computers!)... these people obviously don't making their own money and spending their parents' money, so they don't understanding the meaning of cash spending...

Edited by lupus_hegemonia

Guest teamkillexpert
I like the Omnia2, and am quite satisfied with the ease of certain features. Outlook integration and plug and play Divx/Xvid movies to my LCD TV was the biggest seller. It still functions to my original expectations, and in some cases have surprised me to what I can do with it.

+1 to keep my Omnia2 as Samsung will always be one of my favourite brands for any type of electronic device.

i can't believe you play low-res videos on a HDTV with a phone. almost anything else you can buy today will do a better job at it, even a netbook(and it is cheaper). I'm sorry but I cannot understand your servierly twisted reason to like the Omnia II.

Guest tacchan23
second the idea of a bounty....as for tachaan...i respect your words for your contribution here...however...theres not enough ram on the o2/or management of it to surf the web with anything else than opera mini...anything else is to much for this phones little hear to take...

did u try the "patch" from Chainfire? it should help a lot on ram issues

Guest jebise

i actually very happy with the phone, the hardware is amazing. I was debating between the iphone 3gs and the omnia. I went with th eomnia because if its hardware, put a lot of effort and time into it before buying. I knew the phone had it problems of slowness and lagg which get fixed with custom ROMs.

The only thing i did not take into account before buying the phone was openGL drivers. I didn't think that was a big deal and the games would just work. I did not know that samsung wrote some shitty drivers. That is my only complaint for the omnia ohh and the lack of updates to my i8000L

Guest Shemmy

My i920 is likely to be the last WM device I purcchase, unless there is a good market for WM 6.5.X devices once WPS7 is released. I'm quite unhappy with the direction that MS has taken with their mobile OS. I'm not keen on Android, unless a custom ROM has the ability to keep Google's hands out of my data. The "cloud" is not for everything. Personally, I may go back to BB, especially if BBOS 6 pans out nicely.

Guest insane73
i can't believe you play low-res videos on a HDTV with a phone.

Actually the video looks great.

I cannot understand people complaining so much about a great phone. Eveything that people complain about could be easily fixed by getting a laptop as so recommended to me to watch movies.

Guest teamkillexpert
Actually the video looks great.

I cannot understand people complaining so much about a great phone. Eveything that people complain about could be easily fixed by getting a laptop as so recommended to me to watch movies.

yea most of the things I complain are simple things, like a bit lag when using a certain program. but it's the sum of all the tiny problems that makes the phone problematic.

as for playing videos on a HDTV with a phone, the maximum you can get is DVD quality, which used to be considered great or amazing an everything. but now you can easily get more with a laptop or netbook, or a dedicated HTPC or dedicated HD media player. they will all play more formats as well.

and it's not like you're going to bring your TV everywhere with you, you only use it at home, so I still do not see the point of doing it.

Guest insane73
it's not like you're going to bring your TV everywhere with you, you only use it at home, so I still do not see the point of doing it.

True

But I can bring my phone to any TV, like a friends, or the one in my van.:)

Guest teamkillexpert
True

But I can bring my phone to any TV, like a friends, or the one in my van.:)

well then in that case, sure.

but if I don't have to share, I prefer to use the phone's screen since it's so much sharper and has an almost infinite contrast ratio. which is almost the only reason I chose this phone, and I'm more than satisfied with it.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest is77gal

please link me tachan as i realy dont know what patch u mean....if it is regarding 3d...tried it once, while usin one of secanys rom and it messed it all up...had to hard reset....if its smthg else pls tell

Guest sioppao

having tried ports of sense UI, i am convinced that i only need:

1. eye-candy

2. facebook intergration

3. social media apps

this phone is more than enough for me.

Guest Devhux
Honestly i'm happy with my phone (maybe couse I don't care about games or 3d graphics).

For my personal usage, I wouldn't see much of a difference in having some more RAM or faster CPU (of course it would be better, but not worth the trouble to move to android or the extra money to buy a new phone).

I don't like wm7 and think android is not good enough atm. When I'll buy a new phone in a year or two, I'll see^^

Same here. All too often I see people jump at a device because it looks cool in the store, or "all the cool kids have one." Frankly, I like to be different. I prefer to have a device that meets my needs and refuse to buy into the hype.

I made the mistake of jumping to a new platform too quickly because it looked cool (BlackBerry). Despite actually paying full price for the phone however, I ended up selling my BB 6 months later to get my Omnia II. There's a lot about Windows Mobile that I like, and I'm willing to live with a few bugs or soft resets to get it. It's not for everyone, but that's why there's tons of options for people; there is no phone that's perfect for everyone.

Guest Vostradamus
Same here. All too often I see people jump at a device because it looks cool in the store, or "all the cool kids have one." Frankly, I like to be different. I prefer to have a device that meets my needs and refuse to buy into the hype.

I made the mistake of jumping to a new platform too quickly because it looked cool (BlackBerry). Despite actually paying full price for the phone however, I ended up selling my BB 6 months later to get my Omnia II. There's a lot about Windows Mobile that I like, and I'm willing to live with a few bugs or soft resets to get it. It's not for everyone, but that's why there's tons of options for people; there is no phone that's perfect for everyone.

100% agree

There's no device that's good for everyone... different individuals have different tastes, needs, likings and so on... thus different devices will suit them best

Sure the O2 has some flaws... but there's NO device on the market without flaws.

I know the O2 "weak points", I made researches and gathered info before buying it, then I decided I could have lived with them and I like the phone.

It has, so far, everything I need and I'm pretty much satisfied with it.

I would never consider an I-anything (phone, pad, touch or whatever) for I despise the brand and its marketing choices, but I accept there can be people loving it, even for the same reasons which make me hate it.

I'm not too convinced of Android (yet), but I understand and accept that a lot of people love it deeply

Basically, there's no right and no wrong opinion... every idea can be right according to one's tastes