Problem with Headphones

Guest Phoenix_uy

Hi,

I have a problem since yesterday with my Omnia i8000.

I have the problem that i remove the headphones, but the phone still is in "headphone mode" in one way to say it.. i don't know why, i even hard reset the phone and nothing happend, still the problem. When i turn on the phone, and loads WM6.5, appears the window asking if it is a "Headset" a "Headset with microphone" or the "Tv out".. but nothing is plug in the connector.

I hope you can help me with my problem, thanks!

My language is Spanish, so i would like to write my problem in spanish to if thats not problem:

Hola!, tengo el siguiente problema desde ayer con mi Omnia i8000.

Sucede que desde ayer, cuando extraje mis auriculares con manos libres, el celular quedó como si estuviera con los auriculares puestos, incluso si hago un Hard Reset, sigue igual. Cuando enciendo el celular, y arranca WM6.5, me aparece la ventanita que me dice para elegir que tipo de auriculares quiero, si son con mi crofono o no o si es salida de TV, cosa que sucede solo cuando insertaba los auriculares.

Ésto me hace tener problemas para escuchar los sonidos, ya que al parecer el celular "cree"que tengo los auriculares puestos y por lo tanto no reproduce los sonidos por el parlante del celular, salvo algo extraño y es que solo en las llamadas entrantes, escucho el tono de llamada por los parlantes del celular, pero después de eso, no se escucha ningún sonido.

Espero me puedan ayudar, muchas gracias!

Guest sofladavid

There''s a mechanical switch in the headphone plug that signals the phone when something is plugged into the headphone jack. sounds like yours got stuck.

plug the headphone back in and unplug it. repeat a few times to try to get it "unstuck" you may even want to spray a tiny bit of WD-40 or some other type of contact cleaner in the jack then repeat the "plug-unplug" sequence to free the switch.

Guest Phoenix_uy
There''s a mechanical switch in the headphone plug that signals the phone when something is plugged into the headphone jack. sounds like yours got stuck.

plug the headphone back in and unplug it. repeat a few times to try to get it "unstuck" you may even want to spray a tiny bit of WD-40 or some other type of contact cleaner in the jack then repeat the "plug-unplug" sequence to free the switch.

Thank you very much! I solved the problem by passing the stylus carefully around the entrance to the connector and then I felt a sound and go! It is unlocked and is now well. Thanks!

Para los que hablan español:

Logré solucionar mi problema tomando el stylus del celular y pasándolo cuidadosamente rodeando la entrada del auricular, y de pronto sentí un sonido como cuando se enchufa o desenchufa el manos libres y listo, se había solucionado el problema!

• 5 months later...
Thank you very much! I solved the problem by passing the stylus carefully around the entrance to the connector and then I felt a sound and go! It is unlocked and is now well. Thanks!

Para los que hablan español:

Logré solucionar mi problema tomando el stylus del celular y pasándolo cuidadosamente rodeando la entrada del auricular, y de pronto sentí un sonido como cuando se enchufa o desenchufa el manos libres y listo, se había solucionado el problema!

I have the same problem, but it hasn't solved by passing the stylus around the headphone plug. In fact, by touching the connector entrance even with my finger the popup window appears together with the sound that you comment. I've also tried to plug-unplug the headphone jack impregnated of lubricant, but no success... :lol:

How do I disable the presence-of-headphones sensor?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest parkye
I have the same problem, but it hasn't solved by passing the stylus around the headphone plug. In fact, by touching the connector entrance even with my finger the popup window appears together with the sound that you comment. I've also tried to plug-unplug the headphone jack impregnated of lubricant, but no success... :)

How do I disable the presence-of-headphones sensor?

For me, I also face the same problem. I went to Samsung Center and they changed hardware for me. I think you all better go to Samsung Service Center for this issue. When I get the device, my headphone plug is too tight but still OK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest KarylFStein

+1000

I've been having headphone problems for a while, (it kept asking me what was plugged in with nothing plugged in). Up to now, it didn't hurt too much, but today it finally made my Omnia II unusable and I had to put my SIM in an old backup phone.

In the past, I've tried sticking a needle on the physical contact to "exercise" it, and putting some WD-40 and alcohol on it with a toothpick. Today, however, nothing worked. I ended up taking the phone apart, (since it was unusable I figured I had nothing to lose), and found that the headphone jack is a single component with a ribbon cable and connector to the main board. I found an online store selling this headphone part via Google and have ordered it, (I had to buy three as that was the minimum--if they work, I'm keeping them all as future replacements, sorry). I won't say what store because I don't know them or if this will fix the problem, but if they deliver and it works, I'll re-post with details. I really hope this fixes the problem because I've spent a *lot* of time and money getting this phone up to replacing my old Palm TX and was expecting it to be around for a few more years...no other mobile OS does what I want right now and I'm totally fine with the O2 hardware/software other than this bloody headphone issue.

Edited by KarylFStein

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KarylFStein
+1000

I've been having headphone problems for a while, (it kept asking me what was plugged in with nothing plugged in). Up to now, it didn't hurt too much, but today it finally made my Omnia II unusable and I had to put my SIM in an old backup phone.

In the past, I've tried sticking a needle on the physical contact to "exercise" it, and putting some WD-40 and alcohol on it with a toothpick. Today, however, nothing worked. I ended up taking the phone apart, (since it was unusable I figured I had nothing to lose), and found that the headphone jack is a single component with a ribbon cable and connector to the main board. I found an online store selling this headphone part via Google and have ordered it, (I had to buy three as that was the minimum--if they work, I'm keeping them all as future replacements, sorry). I won't say what store because I don't know them or if this will fix the problem, but if they deliver and it works, I'll re-post with details. I really hope this fixes the problem because I've spent a *lot* of time and money getting this phone up to replacing my old Palm TX and was expecting it to be around for a few more years...no other mobile OS does what I want right now and I'm totally fine with the O2 hardware/software other than this bloody headphone issue.

I received my new headphone jacks yesterday and replaced the one on my phone. And...it works! :D

The new jacks are a different design. The "plug-in" sensor is at the top now and the whole thing is a lot tighter. Also, when I plug something in, (I tried headphones and a headset--not TV out), it no longer asks you what's plugged in. It seems to auto-sense the type of plug fine.

It's only day 1, but my phone is usable again. Yay!

The store I bought the jacks from is globaldirectparts.com. I had to buy three jacks, but it only ran about $20US. I'm keeping the others as spares in case this ever happens again as I plan to hold on to this phone for a few more years, (bought off contract).

After getting the back off and exposing the internals, I was able to just lift the top edge of the main boards with a popsicle stick use a small, flat screwdriver to unplug the old jack. I then slid the new jack in, made sure it was lined up, (it does this pretty much on it's own--not much wiggle room), and pushed down on the board until it "clicked" on.

• 5 months later...
Guest Ryvius

ok I need some help. I broke the old part while installing the new one... and now I'm having the same problem with the new one as you do with the old one. why? am I not installing it properly??

or is it the part?from a different site.... help! my phone is nearly unuseable now

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nehalem176

OMFG!!!!!!! Thank So Much, Your method 110% works for me! I just put toothpick into the headphone jack and try to 'play' around it, huzzah!! speaker back to normal. thank God i don't need to go to service center..... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stonefield

yeah i had same problem i went mad and there is no jack at all now and phone wont let me do even phone call as it thinks headphones are plugged in .... :( is there any "software" way how to switch headphones mode to normal mode?

• 7 months later...
Guest Mahmoud Karam

OMFG!!!!!!! Thank So Much, Your method 110% works for me! I just put toothpick into the headphone jack and try to 'play' around it, huzzah!! speaker back to normal. thank God i don't need to go to service center..... biggrin.gif

Playing with a wooden toothpick inside the headphone slot solved my problem in seconds. Thank you guys :)