Samsung Dialer Favorites (found the answer)

Guest amdzero

UPDATE

this can now be done with simple registry entries. cab is posted for your convenience.

AMDZero_Samsung_Dailer_Favorites_Fix.cab

Old post

The problem is that when you click on favorites in the samsung dialer, and then the add(plus) icon, then select a contact from the list, it goes back to the favorite page with no contact.

Okay so this only took 3 days of my life that I'll never get back. I don't understand it, but here it goes.

The problem is caused by WidgetPlus. Big surprise right?

So if you have this file "WidgetPlus.swf" in your windows directory:

1. change your today plug-in (Home Screen) to "Samsung WidgetPlus"

2. Close all programs or just go back to the Today (Home) Screen

3. Watch the Widgets load (and probably unload right away)

Now the favorites work. You don't have to stay on Samsung WidgetPlus, you can go to titanium and everything will be fine. The problem occurs when you have this in a .rgu file (registry for cooking):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Windows Default"]

"Enabled"=dword:1

This enables the Windows Default (titanium or splugins) as your Home screen

If you have this registry entry in cooking, you will not be able to use favorites, until you follow the above steps.

If you do not have "WidgetPlus.swf" in your windows directory, then don't select "Samsung WidgetPlus" as your Home Screen! This will cause the phone to lock up and only a HARD RESET will fix it.

Hopefully this will help other chefs out there, and any others that want that functionality back.

I don't know why it works but it does, if you don't load "Windows Default" enabled on your cooked rom, all is well.

WidgetPlus.swf

Edited by amdzero

Guest Snow02

You know, being that you can just spell out the name you're looking for on the keypad right from the dialer, I've never even bothered saving any favorites because I can usually find the number I'm looking for in two-three screen taps anyways.

But good job. I just tried adding a favorite and indeed have the same issue.

Guest amdzero
Nice Job! I wish there was an easier fix, but at least one is available.

I'm fighting with mortscript to see if I can get it to go on boot. I'll let you know if it works out.

Well just fixed it with this:

sleep(5000)

RegWriteDWord("HKLM", "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\""Samsung WidgetPlus""","Enabled",0)

RegWriteDWord("HKLM", "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\""Windows Default""","Enabled",1)

chefs, put those lines in a cook.mscr file and all is well (just leave in WidgetPlus.swf!!!).

Edited by amdzero

Guest Robtao

I couldn't find WidgetPlus.swf in Ninja's Black/Blue ROM, but want to thank you amdzero for finding this, and I am sure it will help in this ROM, too. I am interested in getting Favorites working.

Guest Ninja4Hire
I couldn't find WidgetPlus.swf in Ninja's Black/Blue ROM, but want to thank you amdzero for finding this, and I am sure it will help in this ROM, too. I am interested in getting Favorites working.

I am adding it back to my roms, so it will be in the next update.

Guest amdzero

No problem, just helping the community.

WidgetPlus.swf is on first post now. You'll have to copy it to windows.

I highly suggest you backup your phone before trying to reset your favorites. I had to hard reset mine because I didn't have this file.

Guest Ninja4Hire

I could not get it to cook in correctly so I made a cab, plus I really didn't want to add the stupid file to my rom (stupid samsung!!!).

So I made this little cab. I have only tested it on my rom, but in theory it should work on all :(. The steps are pretty much what AMD said, but to refresh your memories...

::::::::Steps::::::::

1. Install cab & it will reset your phone.

2. Change from Windows Default (if that is what you are using) to Widget Plus. The screen will flash Widget Plus for a sec then go to nothing on the today screen.

3. Change right back to Windows Default (or whatever you were using)

4. Uninstall the cab.

That should do it, but if it does not work or your phone bricks.... blame AMD lol (kidding you should be fine)

Ninja4hire_SecDialer_Fave_Fix.cab

Guest amdzero
I could not get it to cook in correctly so I made a cab, plus I really didn't want to add the stupid file to my rom (stupid samsung!!!).

So I made this little cab. I have only tested it on my rom, but in theory it should work on all :(. The steps are pretty much what AMD said, but to refresh your memories...

2. Change from Windows Default (if that is what you are using) to Widget Plus. The screen will flash Widget Plus for a sec then go to nothing on the today screen.

4. Uninstall the cab.

That should do it, but if it does not work or your phone bricks.... blame AMD lol (kidding you should be fine)

nice

you know I was just thinking while waiting in line for food, there has to be a registry setting that is altered when loading up widgetplus. im going to investigate and see if we can do this without that useless .swf file

Guest hannibal81168

4. Uninstall the cab.

Thanks...it works great! Appreciate the effort by all!

Guest amdzero
Thanks...it works great! Appreciate the effort by all!

Yeah its kinda like the Batman and Robin team.

Ninja you know which one you are :(

Guest Robtao

So I made this little cab. I have only tested it on my rom, but in theory it should work on all :). The steps are pretty much what AMD said, but to refresh your memories...

4. Uninstall the cab.

Thanks very much, Amdzero and Ninja. This worked, but my experience was a bit different. I have MS3 and a Sense cab installed. After installing the cab there was no auto reset. I selected and deselected Widget Plus, but never looked at the Today screen, as MS3 still came up as per normal. I did not view the other Today screen. I then checked favorites, and they still did not load my selections.

Then I reinstalled and tried it all again, but made sure I looked at Today without MS3, and then Favorites worked. Can't explain it, but glad it works. Thanks. I thought my phone was perfect before, but now its perfecter.

I noticed that in addition to the .swf file, it also installed a large dll file. Glad these can be uninstalled and I can see why you would not want them taking up space in the ROM.

Guest amdzero
Thanks very much, Amdzero and Ninja. This worked, but my experience was a bit different. I have MS3 and a Sense cab installed. After installing the cab there was no auto reset. I selected and deselected Widget Plus, but never looked at the Today screen, as MS3 still came up as per normal. I did not view the other Today screen. I then checked favorites, and they still did not load my selections.

Then I reinstalled and tried it all again, but made sure I looked at Today without MS3, and then Favorites worked. Can't explain it, but glad it works. Thanks. I thought my phone was perfect before, but now its perfecter.

I noticed that in addition to the .swf file, it also installed a large dll file. Glad these can be uninstalled and I can see why you would not want them taking up space in the ROM.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but the procedures are really just letting WidgetPlus Load, and when it loads (which means you can see it on the today screen) something happens that allows samsung dialer favorites again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest amdzero
I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but the procedures are really just letting WidgetPlus Load, and when it loads (which means you can see it on the today screen) something happens that allows samsung dialer favorites again.

easy fix added, just needed some registry entries.

• 4 months later...
Guest xlightwaverx
easy fix added, just needed some registry entries.

Just wondering, if you dont install WidgetPlus at all, is there no way to get the favorites to work even with the .dll and .swf in \windows?

X

Edited by xlightwaverx