Nokia reveals N-Gage details (SPV killer?)

Guest sebset

Guest Carnivor

i have never seen such an ugly thing, has nokia got a new team of designers or summut??????

I think they are going to loose alot of the market with designs like this.

When I got my SPV i wanted a phone that did a little extra, not a gameboy advance that you could make calls on fs..

Hmm... here are the dim of the N-Gage

very small isn't it?

Abmessungen: 134 x 70 x 20 Millimeter

Gewicht: 137 Gramm

Display: 4.096 Farben, 176 x 208 Pixel

Triband: 900, 1.800 und 1.900 MHz

Betriebssystem: Nokia Series 60 Platform, Symbian OS

Messaging: MMS, SMS und Smart Messaging

E-Mail-Client: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP, MIME2

Java-Unterstützung: Ja

Tastatur: Spezielles Design für beidhändiges Spielen

Steuerungstaste: Spielen: 8-Wege, Handy-Betrieb: 5-Wege

Musik: MP3-/AAC-Player und Radio integriert, Stereo-Headset

Speicher: 4 MByte im Handy, MMC mit 64 MByte im Lieferumfang

Schnittstellen: Bluetooth, USB 1.1

Datenübertragung: HSCSD, GPRS (3+1 oder 2+2)

Browser: WAP/XHTML (mit i-mode-Extensions)

Laufzeiten:

- Spielen: 3 - 6 Stunden

- Gespräch: 2 - 4 Stunden

- Stand-by: 150 - 200 Stunden

- MP3-Player 8 Stunden

- Radio: 20 Stunden

Guest HelloDave

I'm a bit confused about the N-Gage to be honest; it's esentially a handheld console, like the GB(A), so presumably the main target market will be kids - it's killer app is supposed to be games after all. However, Nokia have seen fit to include functions like HSCSD, e-mail and PIM type stuff, which is useful, but not for its main target market. How many kids are gonna care if their phone has HSCSD and e-mail? All they'll want to do with it is text and play games, so I can't really see where Nokia are trying to place this device - you'd hardly use it as a serious business tool would you?

I'm not too sure about the 3650 either - it's an enourmous ugly brick IMHO with a weird keypad (why?) and why anyone would buy it over an SPV or P800 is beyond me! Still, it shows what happens when you unleash concept designers into the real world, and it ain't too pretty :wink:

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

it's an interesting phone, but I'll stick to the SPV and get the GBA SP when it comes out in europe in march. Got to have me Mario Golf (hole in 1, par 4, peach's castle, yess!)

Guest vampyre69

The Nokia mentioned above is being plugged as a competitor to the gameboy or as a handheld gaming device hence its shape.

It not really a business phone so it wont be targeting the same market as the SPV.

This is correct to the best of my knowledge.

I think this will not even beat the GBA (when the first sonic title appears we will have our third). Even the display is much smaller than the GBAs can't imagine to play a fast game like sonic on this one.

Nokia is to late with this one. I think the only improvement compared to a GBC is the ir-connectivity ;)

Guest Gorskar

Im somewhat unconvinced by the n-gage.

Techincally it looks quite good (although if you read the article on www.theregister.co.uk you'll find that there is at least one apalling design flaw - having to take the battery out in order to change game cartridge!)

Main concern I have for it though is price.

A GBA can be had for about £60, which is plenty cheap enough for the kiddies, so it sells very well, to a wide audience.

The N-gage includes lots of advanced features such as bluetooth, and an mp3 player. These sort of features would probably push the pay-as-you-go price way above the range that the avarage under18 audience (or more specifically their parents) would be willing to pay, and nokia have said that they will not be subsidising this phone... Other colour screen PayG phones are generally over £200, which I think is too much for mass market sales.

Contract customers in general probably want a more buisiness oriented phone, although no doubt some will fall for it. None the less this audience is also very limited, especially with competion from other better spec smartphone and sybian devices (eg p800)

Perhaps they will depart from the traditional mobile model, and sell it sim-free in games stores also? Probably similar prices to whatever it costs on PayG I'd imagine.

Does this platform have a future?

I guess we will have to wait and see. I think Pay-as-you-go price will be the main thing causes this to hit or miss.

That's gaming battery life.

One big problem is battery life. Although talktime and standby figures for N-Gage are industry standard, Nokia quotes a life of between 3-6 hours when playing games. Good for a phone, awful when compared to GBA SP's 10 to 18 hours.

How long does the SPV last if you're running Doom constantly?

Guest spiderboy

Why would you want to combine the pleasures of mobile gaming with agonising everyday office life and what sort of market are they aiming this at.

I cannot see proffesional's using these phone and still maintian some degree of credibility....

Just my two cents....

Ahh, but the crafty bit is the availability of 'downloads' and multi-player!

Nokia are not daft, they didn't get to where they are for no good reason, and there is enough of a carrot for the networks to be interested.

Remember the networks don't just buy handsets from Nokia - their infrastructure is also based on Nokia hardware (and Motorola etc) it would only take one operator to be 'sweetened' enough for the others to follow in order to not be 'square'.

Once again the lure of a multi-function device may win through.

Trouble is that gamers don't like add-ons. Its tradition. An add-on sells so badly in comparisson to the original game that unless it's a huge seller in the first place then not a lot of people bother to make them.

I can see a few people buying this N-Gage, but it ain't going to set the world alight. The GBA is to good and selling too well for this to even make a dent, let alone overtake it.