Nokia reveals N-Gage details (SPV killer?)

Guest sebset

Article found at http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3018.html

What do you think of this new smartphone? Could be a danger for the SPV? :shock:

Nokia reveals N-Gage details

By: Jørgen Sundgot, Wednesday, 05.02.03 12:26 GMT  

First unveiled as a sneak peek of things to come in November last year, Nokia is now revealing more facts concerning its N-Gage Series 60-based wireless gaming console.

At events held today in London and Sydney, Nokia finally revealed more details concerning its previously announced N-Gage wireless gaming console, based on the manufacturer's Symbian OS-based Series 60 platform. Combining mobile phone functionality with MP3 playback capabilities, an FM radio and Internet connectivity through GPRS, the N-Gage will be the most advanced handheld gaming console the world has yet to see when it arrives later this year.  

nokia_n_gage_01.jpg

Ill: Nokia  

The N-Gage concept introduces a wireless multi-player platform for both local and remote gaming. Courtesy of Bluetooth, players will be able to pitch themselves against someone or a group of people in the room, or in another country, courtesy of GPRS. Meanwhile, games for the N-Gage will be sold separately on game cards (using the MultiMediaCard standard) through major retail outlets, game- specific and video game retail outlets, as well as in regular mobile phone delivery channels in all major markets.  

Besides its gaming features, the Nokia N-Gage game deck also offers music playback capabilities of files in MP3 and AAC format, as well as a stereo FM radio and tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 mobile phone functionality. Like other Series 60 devices, the N-Gage will also sport an Internet browser, e-mail client and various PIM applications, all presented on the 12-bit TFT color display in a 176 x 208 pixel resolution.  

Nokia said it is planning on making N-Gage available in volumes across five continents in the 4th quarter 2003 well in time for the holiday shopping season.

I'm sorry, but I'm not worried about that. Most advanced handheld gaming console the world has ever seen, I don't think so. Anyway, where's Nokia's previous track record in the gaming industry? How many world class developers have signed up for it?

Yes, I'm sure it will be a hit as a phone and knowing Nokia and the Symbian OS then it will be a doddle to use with few bugs and almost no crashes, but in reality it will just be the same as the Smartphone for games, a few ports of old games and some simple (but blooming fantastic to play) games. I think the GBA need not worry yet.

AND,

my experience tells me: when they say it will be end of 2003, than you will be able to buy it mid 2004. Nokia is good in creating apetite but bad in fulfilling shiping dates. We'll see what comes meanwhile from the smartphone front. SPV is the first real smart phone, therfore its very good. I cant wait to see the follow ups...

Cheers, Lutz

I cant wait to see the follow ups...

Me too! ;)

But only 1 smatphone is not enough for this market. Orange and other operators should be inspired to sell more different models. e.g: with integrated camera, folder type, etc.

I'm sure the success of this concept resides in the number of available devices for the customers.

Looks like that other phone Nokia released (can't remember model number) that didn't sell too well because of the design.

Let's hope MS fairs better against Nokia than it did Sony.

personally i don't think this is the 'SPV Killer', it seems to promise to do everything (well, plus a couple of extras) that the SPV can do now, but not until the end of the year!

surely by that time the spv will have had time to settle from v.good with glitches to just plain great!

Guest Paul [MVP]

Looks like a repackaged 3510i, the same way the other crap phone in that style (the 5510), was a repackaged 3310.

I mean, look at the size of the screen!

I think i'll stick to my GBA...

P

Ive never been a big Nokia fan. Ive only ever owned one handset (an 8250 which was never launched in the uk. it was basically an 8210 with a blue screen). I sold that after 3 months because so many people had the same/similair phone. I like the idea of going against the flow and choosing something more interesting like the SPV so I probably wouldnt buy a Nokia smartphone!!!

Also who knows what will be available in Q4 2003. The SPV is great but I can't really see it surviving much longer than 14 months.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I loved Nokias, and pledged i'd never have anything else.

Problem is, they got stale.

My first non-nokia was a T68i, and I've never looked back. That is a GREAT phone!

P

Guest casper508

Its too much of a toy. Id rather have something that atlest looks like a phone and yes it has that 5510 ring about it too and i hated that one.

Cas

"]My first non-nokia was a T68i, and I've never looked back. That is a GREAT phone!

P

Sorry mate, have to disagree... that has to be one of the most user unfriendly phones on the market... save only the Siemens A50 ;)

Guest casper508

Sorry mate, have to disagree... that has to be one of the most user unfriendly phones on the market... save only the Siemens A50 ;)

T68i? user unfriendly? Ur kidding me right? I've had six phones over the last few years and the T68 was the simplest to operate.

Cas

Guest smartman

its a little girls phone looks like somethin mattel would make, spv forever

i wanna man.s phone not a wusses........all nokias are the same unimaginative rubbish!!!!!!!

Maybe it's just my opinion but i hate it! The stupid clicky button that always moves before u press it. The stupid way it copies numbers. That said, very few manufacturing problems and the bluetooth works properly - unlike the nokia phones!

I'm sorry, but I'm not worried about that.  Most advanced handheld gaming console the world has ever seen, I don't think so.  Anyway, where's Nokia's previous track record in the gaming industry?  How many world class developers have signed up for it?

Yes, I'm sure it will be a hit as a phone and knowing Nokia and the Symbian OS then it will be a doddle to use with few bugs and almost no crashes, but in reality it will just be the same as the Smartphone for games, a few ports of old games and some simple (but blooming fantastic to play) games.  I think the GBA need not worry yet.

Just check the http://www.nokia.com/n-gage/games.html for few upcoming titles - at least a new Sonic and and Tomb Raider are coming N-Gage.

Also it has (besides the normal phone functionality) a FM radio / MP3 + normal Series 60 functionality the existing SW base with browsers, games, chat's etc and bluetooth/GPRS for multiplayer games. I'd say GBA has a lot to worry about.

To me it looks like a very nice package.

Guest yatpeak

I hardly think it will be better than the SPV, the screen's tiny, the shape takes up too much space, Most people will have a GBA anyway, and won't bother replacing it. Putting a PPC and a phone together will work because it still has a good and small shape, you couldn't carry that phone in your pocket too well I don't think, not would it be good for making calls.

Just my opinion.

Wyatt