To root or not to root that is the question.

Guest nech770

Guest nech770

Hi all,

Ok I am new here and new to rooting and android. Please be gentle with me :lol: I am quite familiar with linux etc but android is new to me. What is the advantage of rooting? What does it give me?

If I were to root my phone - an HTC legend from Virgin Mobile, would I lose all the apps I added already? If/When they do an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 will I lose the rooting? I basically only want to root for installing hebrew support. Unless anyone knows of a way I can do this without rooting?

I want 2.2 because it has support for voice dialing via blue-tooth, which is necessary as it is illegal here to drive and talk on a phone not hands free.

Thanks in advance

Nech

Edited by nech770

Guest borgfather
Hi all,

Ok I am new here and new to rooting and android. Please be gentle with me :lol: I am quite familiar with linux etc but android is new to me. What is the advantage of rooting? What does it give me?

If I were to root my phone - an HTC legend from Virgin Mobile, would I lose all the apps I added already? If/When they do an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 will I lose the rooting? I basically only want to root for installing hebrew support. Unless anyone knows of a way I can do this without rooting?

I want 2.2 because it has support for voice dialing via blue-tooth, which is necessary as it is illegal here to drive and talk on a phone not hands free.

Thanks in advance

Nech

Rooting gives you SUDO control over your phone

some applications need root control like "platinum backup" and you can also edit system files after rooting

yes you will completely reset your phone and all applications will be gone even so personal data

after rooting i think updates are not automatic annymore and i heard if you update your rom it will lose root

but i'm quite sure as soon as a 2.2 rom is released it will be treated by MoDaCo and made rooted

if you can get hebrew without rooting is also a question to me

i think i saw a app to make voice-dialing possible

good luck

Guest nech770

Thanks for the reply, now I understand what "rooting" is. Ok.

I got an app that allows for voice dialing, but it won't let me voice dial using bluetooth - limitation of the OS and it will work in 2.2 from what I have read and from when I called HTC to ask about it. I might just need to wait for the 2.2 to come out and for them to release it rooted to get hebrew going. Oh well.

If anyone else knows how to make it work with hebrew without rooting please let me know.

Thanks

Guest joeball88

I also have a Virgin/Bell Legend - I'm quite sure you can't root it, as its a NAM3G phone, not a WWE. Different model = different root needed. So it looks like for the time being, you have no choice!

I would love to see a root for our model, but until we get a few more people wanting it, not likely. Makes me sad, too - I want to mod!

Check out this thread. Juicy explains it a little better than I : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=700898