Pros & Cons of the i920

Guest waremike32

Guest waremike32

Hi guys!

I'm looking into getting an i920, but after owning an i910, I have some reservations. First off, I know there are bigger and better devices out there, but I need to purchase a device off contract, so a slightly older model (no offence lol!) suits me better.

Also, I LOVED the i910. Some of you may even be familiar with my work on it. But, there were some issues I had with it that I'm hoping were resolved on the i920. So, I'd like to hear the opinions of current i920 owners.

The main question I have is the performance of the GPS chip. It is practically worthless on the i910 and I'm curious if Samsung did a better job this time around.

One last thing...I must say, I'm super impressed with what the i920/I8000 chefs have done, so the dev community here is a major plus.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Guest waremike32

I'll be purchasing off contract and can't spend 600+ on my next device, so no droid X for me. Plus, WinMo is not a con for me. I know it inside and out. I do like android (I'm in the process of learning Java), but want to give WM one last go before it's totally dead. The available mem is an issue though, anyone know how it compares to a TP2?

Edited by waremike32

Guest Steel Reign
I'll be purchasing off contract and can't spend 600+ on my next device, so no droid X for me. Plus, WinMo is not a con for me. I know it inside and out. I do like android (I'm in the process of learning Java), but want to give WM one last go before it's totally dead. The available mem is an issue though, anyone know how it compares to a TP2?

I suggest you wait and see what the price of the "Samsung Galaxy S"(verizon name will be will be Samsung Fascinate). As the i920 is "old" now, but we are tweaking the crap out of it. We got overclocking enabled and other stuff here, so if your looking for a phone right now, go with the i920 if you need to stay on verizon.

Edit: I noticed you asked about the performance of the GPS chip, right now it takes about 4 minutes to get a cold lock... but I am working on fixing that by porting over the i8000 drivers along with the xtra data feature which should make things MUCH faster.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest batch519

I couldn't be happier with this phone and I'm in no hurry to go to Android as I am a Microsoft based Healthcare IT guy by trade (still learning PocketPC/Windows Mobile thanks to this wonderful forum). I use two GPS apps heavily with no complaints (WinSportsTracker for running/walking and FreeCaddie for golfing) but it does take a few minutes to get the initial lock as Steel said which is no big deal for me. I really like Sense and appreciate all the hard work folks are doing with the i920 Sense ROMs, but the lack of memory for applications and the lag due to the GL drivers makes the phone somewhat unreliable. I have the ZeroSense ROM flashed using a heavily customized iPhone Today UI and I am extremely pleased with the reliability, functionality and performance.

Guest tedkord

I was in exactly your shoes - had the Omnia, which was made 2000X better by the work of folks like yourself. But my touchscreen was getting a bit unresponsive in spots, so I had the choice of dropping it in some water and paying $50 copay for an insurance replacement, or getting something newer. But, I'm 7 months out from the end of my contract, and I don't think I want to re-up with Verizon because of their data plan requirement for a decent qwerty phone for my wife and daughter.

I don't want Android right now because Sling is going to make me pay for another license, even though they told me when I bought sling player mobile that I could transfer the license to any future phone. So, I had to stay WinMo.

I got the Omnia II off Ebay, brand new unopened for $200. Not cheap, but much less than retail. Here are my pros/cons as compared to the Omnia.

PROS:

The screen, of course - much brighter/clearer, better rez.

The digitizer - my Omnia required my fingernail with some pressure to swipe. The O2 is just the lightest touch of my fingertip.

The GPS - so far, better lock times. Then again, my Omnia would often take 5-10 minutes to lock, and would often lose the lock, so mine was a bad example.

Screen rotation - you can pick what apps rotate with the sensor. Much easier and more elegant than the apps developed for the Omnia to exclude rotation.

SENSE! - HTC sense has been ported, and while it's still a little laggy, it's just a great UI.

The dual stereo speakers sound better than the Omnia.

The captive stylus is a nice touch for those times when WinMo just isn't finger friendly.

CONS:

The main con is the cooking is still in early stages, got a hobbled start (needed Wozzer to crack the DC23 update to get it started). Since it hasn't been a huge seller, there's a smaller group working to cook ROMs. They're doing a great job, and once they get to the point that the Omnia chefs reached, this will be a really amazing phone. Actually, I think they're making strides faster with the O2 now than the O1 at this same point in time. (Bearing in mind that 1.5GHz dual core snapdragon models will be around before long, too, the Omnia II will probably always seem a generation behind)

RAM - Why didn't Samsung stick 512mb of ram in this thing?

Pandora runs on it, but the only working version has really small font menus.

It really doesn't do much that the Omnia with a good custom ROM can't. It just does it prettier and sometimes faster.

To sum up, I'm happy with my purchase. Works very well, much better with the custom Sense ROMs than stock. But I was only looking for a phone to get me through my contract, by which time I expect some really amazing devices to be about.

Edited by tedkord

Guest amdzero

comming from the i910 I must say this is an AWESOME phone. yeah it's not an Iphone, nor an android, but man I'll tell you I am very satisfied with this phone.

The fact that It can change UI like an autobot is a big plus for me.

The graphics are great for video, just note that it is a 16bit screen, so gradient screens are very noticable. but the amoled is very nice, I can't barely see the black part in the dark as I'm wandering around just before bed time.

The GPS is MUCH improved over the i910. I can easily get a sync in less than 5 minutes. Usually take me about 60-90 seconds if I'm moving in my car, so NOT an issue at all.

In fact after a flash (in my car) on the way home, I pulled up google maps and was navigating with GPS (not just my location) in less than 30 seconds. I was daydreaming and thought I missed the turn off to a store I wanted to stop by.

The WGVA is a big plus as the screen real-estate is much better.

The ONE thing I miss from the i910 is the optical mouse. having a way to go up down left right was very nice.

Having external speakers is also pretty cool, I didn't think it would make a difference, but I can actually watch a movie on the plane and it looks damn good. With my extended battery people look over at me and ask if that's an Iphone...

I politely tell them "nope, its a windows phone"

Most of the time they have a puzzled look on their face as I continue to watch Black Hawk Down in High Def.

Go ahead and get it, its really good phone. Like all phones, it does have flaws, but I'm glad I bought this phone.

Guest snapz54
comming from the i910 I must say this is an AWESOME phone. yeah it's not an Iphone, nor an android, but man I'll tell you I am very satisfied with this phone.

The fact that It can change UI like an autobot is a big plus for me.

The graphics are great for video, just note that it is a 16bit screen, so gradient screens are very noticable. but the amoled is very nice, I can't barely see the black part in the dark as I'm wandering around just before bed time.

The GPS is MUCH improved over the i910. I can easily get a sync in less than 5 minutes. Usually take me about 60-90 seconds if I'm moving in my car, so NOT an issue at all.

In fact after a flash (in my car) on the way home, I pulled up google maps and was navigating with GPS (not just my location) in less than 30 seconds. I was daydreaming and thought I missed the turn off to a store I wanted to stop by.

The WGVA is a big plus as the screen real-estate is much better.

The ONE thing I miss from the i910 is the optical mouse. having a way to go up down left right was very nice.

Having external speakers is also pretty cool, I didn't think it would make a difference, but I can actually watch a movie on the plane and it looks damn good. With my extended battery people look over at me and ask if that's an Iphone...

I politely tell them "nope, its a windows phone"

Most of the time they have a puzzled look on their face as I continue to watch Black Hawk Down in High Def.

Go ahead and get it, its really good phone. Like all phones, it does have flaws, but I'm glad I bought this phone.

I agree with everything said here.

to add

it has been mentioned that this is a young community, it is amazing how far it has come in such a short time. I bought the O1 when it came out and it was the most advanced phone verizon offered at the time, I was amazed and it only got better when I found the communities to support it. the O1 one had it's ups and downs and it was a great ride. The O2 was a scary buy at first but all told I couldn't be happier with my purchase at this point. To be along for the ride and see all these great chefs emerge has been something to see. And I know they are inspiring new chefs everyday.

Make the jump and then become one of the faces of our growing community. it was always great to see what you could come up with on our old i910's It really is so much more rewarding when you have the history behind you of the (often) frustrating O1.

It's like going from walking to flying, even with it's bumps. Those bumps and hiccups are just things waiting for you to come on board and help us to solve!

but unfortunately, no one can bring back the optical mouse :)

Guest waremike32

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have played with an i920 a bit and was certainly impressed, but wanted to hear the thoughts from real owners. If I can find a device in my price range, I'll definitely pull the trigger. Hope to see you guys soon!

Guest tedkord
The graphics are great for video, just note that it is a 16bit screen,

The screen is actually 24-bit, WinMo is 16-bit limited. However, I believe that with a program like CorePlayer, you can set it to display with a color overlay set to native color, and the movie plays with full color. It's possible to have this fumctionality in a player, but I'm not 100% sure CorePlayer does it.

Guest tedkord
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have played with an i920 a bit and was certainly impressed, but wanted to hear the thoughts from real owners. If I can find a device in my price range, I'll definitely pull the trigger. Hope to see you guys soon!

What are you looking to pay? I've seen lightly used ones go for under $200 on Ebay. Just make sure you check the MEID with VZW first!